Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm trying to kill two with one...

Has anyone seen (and possibly have a photo of) the front license plate bracket that the great State of California requires me to have on my vehicle? Is anyone planning any kind of alternative to the stock bracket that might be less ugly or "looks killing" than what I can imagine GM has glued on?

Secondly, now that I am going to be the owner of a ticket magnet, does the vehicle come stock with at least a 12-volt outlet (read: cigarette lighter) WITHOUT ordering the smokers kit? I need to connect a radar detector (which oddly IS legal in CA but not a missing front plate).

Capt. Jack
1st 1000 Owner (with no arrival information yet)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read the thread...

All I found was a photoshopped "idea". I was hoping now that a few cars may be squeezing out of the factory that a real front plate bracket photo might be available. In talks with my dealer he's demanded that I provide him with a notarized affidavit swearing I know he's supposed to put one on and that I don't want him to install it. Others in that thread spoke about various tactics they "might" try but nothing solid. My ex-wife had a BMW Z4 and we never attached the plate because it looked butt-ugly on that beautiful front end until she got loaded up with tickets for no front plate. The Solstice, I fear, will suffer the same ugly factor. Zip ties may be one solution but a poor one.

Capt. Jack

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Stang.

Yep, right in the middle of its beautiful front grille work. That's just not right. I'm going to have start thinking alternatives. Appreciate the picture link and the info on the lighter.

Capt. Jack [back to waiting for a VIN #]

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Nevermind. You found it. :)

I know California is in finacial trouble. Try and get the Govenator to end the duel plate requirement as a way of "saving money" for the state. I bet moving to a single plate system would save tax payers millions of dollars. :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Capt. Jack, I too live in the great state of Cali. I say drive that baby till the cops stop you. I've had my 2005 Audi A4 Convertible for 10 months, no plate yet on the front and never stopped by the cops.......I asked the dealer to leave it off, they had no problem following my request. Maybe we can start a new measure to get rid of the front plates. I think I can get at least 10 signatures!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
From what I hear the bracket is removable.. so i plan on just taking it off when I get it back from the dealer and then testing my luck. Chances are cops will admire your car without even realizing you don't have a front plate.

If I do happend to get pulled over then a friend of mine, who is a cop, suggested that I tell whatever cop pulls me over that I am waiting for another bracket in the mail so I can mount the plate on another spot. He says that should work a few times a summer.

Magnetic brackets are going to be the way to go.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I believe that our cars, ( at least in Cal), will have a small rectangular temporary sticker tape-mounted on the lower inside right of the windshield. carefully take this off, copy it a few times, using clear tape tape both sides to make it last longer, and retape it in the same spot. this is what is used while waiting for permanant plates and it worked for years on my RX7 convertable, including a stop or 2 where I simply said I was waiting for new plates, or the front fell off. often its a fix-it ticket and you can get it signed off at a police substation. ;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Is Ohio a double plate state?

I have not a clue? Marla

·
Registered
214 Posts
I don't have a plate on my current sportscar and I live in CA. Unfortunately I've acquired 2 speeding tickets but nary a ticket for the lack of a front plate.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Intersting site for all you 'two plate' states.

Check out the saving for Texas if they swtiched to a single plate system. These numbers are in 1991 dollars. Imagine the saving today.
The state would save approximately $3 million per year, or almost $15 million over the next five years, by eliminating a front license plate. The state could save an additional $1.5 million annually by using less expensive materials to make its license plates. Switching to the ink-bead reflective process would not entail any significant startup costs.
http://www.window.state.tx.us/tpr/atg/atgps/ps18.html

States are looking for ways to save money. Write your state senators. Free your front bumpers!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
stang said:

Check out the saving for Texas if they swtiched to a single plate system. These numbers are in 1991 dollars. Imagine the saving today.

States are looking for ways to save money. Write your state senators. Free your front bumpers!
Yep, Arizona eliminated the front plate a number of years ago to save money. There was a big fuss raised by law enforcemnet agencies, you would have thought it was the end of the world. But, apparently the sky didn't fall, because I'm still here. ;)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
How much would they lose in fines?

They would save money on plates, but then they would miss fining all those folks who don't want to spoil the look of their cars.

Maybe we could get a note form the Pontiac engineers explaining that a front plate will block the air flow to the engine and cause overheating, which will shorten the life of the engine and cause us to have to have them repaired under warranty. This will have a negative economic impact on GM. And due to its size this will impact the economies of every state in the Union and at least the province of Ontario. Therefore we should not have to have front plates.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
They would save money on plates, but then they would miss fining all those folks who don't want to spoil the look of their cars.

Maybe we could get a note form the Pontiac engineers explaining that a front plate will block the air flow to the engine and cause overheating, which will shorten the life of the engine and cause us to have to have them repaired under warranty. This will have a negative economic impact on GM. And due to its size this will impact the economies of every state in the Union and at least the province of Ontario. Therefore we should not have to have front plates.
I think I follow that logic. :crazy:

·
Registered
185 Posts
stang said:

Thanks Stang!!! Here are the weblinks

Senate: link <---click this for Senate directory
House of Rep: link <---click this for Senate directory

Follow the links and 1) select your senator and/or represenative, 2) fill out your contact info, 3) fill out your request, and 4) hit reply. It's that simple & your solstice will thank you!

I would suggest when you write your request that you concentrate on the potential financial savings (Texas saved $3M/year) and include a link to the article that Stang provided. That link is from website of the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. Ask your senator/rep to conduct a study to see how much your state would save. Make a financial arguement and they'll stand a chance at listening & following up on it.

Note: Since there are 2 senators per state (I know, trivia fact for the day, right :) ) if you are short on time and only want to email one, I would recommend you email the ones whose term expires first since they may be more likely to listen to the average voter. For NJ, that's John Corzine (NJ Senator) since his term expires first (2007 vs 2009/2011).

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
AverageJoe said:
Thanks Stang!!! Here are the weblinks

Senate: link <---click this for Senate directory
House of Rep: link <---click this for Senate directory

Follow the links and 1) select your senator and/or represenative, 2) fill out your contact info, 3) fill out your request, and 4) hit reply. It's that simple & your solstice will thank you!

I would suggest when you write your request that you concentrate on the potential financial savings (Texas saved $3M/year) and include a link to the article that Stang provided. That link is from website of the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. Ask your senator/rep to conduct a study to see how much your state would save. Make a financial arguement and they'll stand a chance at listening & following up on it.

Note: Since there are 2 senators per state (I know, trivia fact for the day, right :) ) if you are short on time and only want to email one, I would recommend you email the ones whose term expires first since they may be more likely to listen to the average voter. For NJ, that's John Corzine (NJ Senator) since his term expires first (2007 vs 2009/2011).
I think you would need to get in touch with your State Senators and State Assembly, not your US Senators and Comgressman. Although pressure from the 'big boys' always helps, it might be more effective to get the ear of your local reps. The states decide the number of plates, not the Feds. Still I think it's a good cause and with some states in the Red (California), now would be a great time to bring this up. Heck, I bet Jay Leno would sign on to it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts