Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several weeks ago, I contacted GMHQ for an update. My vehicle was produced and should arrive in 3-6 weeks according to the GM rep. Two weeks ago, I called my dealer for an update. The sales rep states "your Solstice is at the rail yard in AZ and should be here in about a week." He went on to say that all Solstices for the area are being delivered at the same time. Otherwise, I would have had the car by now.

Two weeks have passed and I called the sales rep. He was not available. I was transferred to the inventory manager. He makes a few calls and discovers that my car is in DELAWARE and HAS NOT SHIPPED.

Today, I'm canceling my order and getting my deposit back. I could have purchased a Solstice through eBay and would have enjoyed the car for several weeks by now. Now, there's nothing GM could do to park my a$$ in a GM product.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
RJinAZ said:
Several weeks ago, I contacted GMHQ for an update. My vehicle was produced and should arrive in 3-6 weeks according to the GM rep. Two weeks ago, I called my dealer for an update. The sales rep states "your Solstice is at the rail yard in AZ and should be here in about a week." He went on to say that all Solstices for the area are being delivered at the same time. Otherwise, I would have had the car by now.

Two weeks have passed and I called the sales rep. He was not available. I was transferred to the inventory manager. He makes a few calls and discovers that my car is in DELAWARE and HAS NOT SHIPPED.

Today, I'm canceling my order and getting my deposit back. I could have purchased a Solstice through eBay and would have enjoyed the car for several weeks by now. Now, there's nothing GM could do to park my a$$ in a GM product.
To Bad I just saw the Solstice for the first time today at my dealer (pre-production) and they are beautiful, like every one says even better in person and it wasn't even a color I like. Your so close!!!! Don't cancel! You a first 1000? What vin.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
RJinAZ said:

Your joking right?????????????

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
RJinAZ said:

How could you give up now? We're coming in to the best time of year for driving a convertible (in AZ). The timeing couldn't be better for your enjoyment. I'm months away from mine but nothing could keep me from it. Who's your dealer, maybe I can latch onto it!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Some dealers do tend to fabricate infomation...

RJinAZ said:

If you've been following any of the threads here, you know that often individual dealers, while well meaning, are the least accurate sources of information. Often, they will repeat the any speculation they hear as truth, and it's like a big giant game of telephone... (You know, like when you sit around a camp fire, and the whispered message goes around the circle, and comes out totally different after only a handful of intermediaries.)

I'd say that to take out your frustrations on all of GM for the actions of your sales representative is a bit harsh.

Canceling your order seems a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Like deluke and Drex said, you're very close to delivery, and have waited this long, whats a couple of weeks?

The point is, you felt enthusiastic enough to place an order in the face of an original promise date of "4th Quarter 2005" from the EOP head quarters when they called you to verify that you were an actual person, and not affiliated with GM during the EOP verification calls. Now, because there was word that they might be close to delivery from an unreliable source (your sales representative) that turned out to be mistaken information (benefit of the doubt to the sales rep.), you swear off all GM products and cancel your order?

Try to step back and remember why you ordered in the first place. You were willing to put down your hard earned cash because you loved the design, the curves, and the price/value ratio.

Indeed, it is your choice, but I encourage you to take a bit of time and decide if you really want to abandon your original reasons for wanting the car. Also, being in Arizona, you have an extended roadster season, so you'll be enjoying top down driving well into December.... maybe most of the year ;)

Again, the choice is yours. If canceling is the right thing for you, so be it.

I do hope that the camaraderie we've shared continues, and that you don't disappear. :cool:

·
5,600 Posts
Nobody cares. :nopity:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm with you RinAZ, While I'm not going to cancel my order I almost did. This is rediculous, in the beginning pretty much everyone agreed that October was a worst case scenario, particularly because everything from GM was still saying Summer '05. Now some of the first 1k are getting their cars months after the first deliveries. I know plenty of people (the majority) disagree and you're fully entitled to but I just wanted to let RinAz know that I can sympathize. I wish I didn't want the car so much because I would love to cancel my order, I personally would like GM to pay a price for their very poor marketing maneuvers.

·
Registered
123 Posts
528 Is Here!!!!!

RJinAZ said:

Hang in there. As of two days ago all sources, my sales rep, and all of the available Pontiac phone numbers, told me that my car (produced on 8/19)
WAS STILL AT THE PLANT. I couldn't belive it and was really angry. GUESS WHAT!!!! My car, #528, arrived at the dealer yesterday (one day after they told me it was sill at the plant). We went to see it today. It's GORGEOUS!!! Well worth waiting for.It's obvious that no one really knows the status of these cars. So just be patient. :party:

·
Registered
600 Posts
ParTee said:
Hang in there. As of two days ago all sources, my sales rep, and all of the available Pontiac phone numbers, told me that my car (produced on 8/19)
WAS STILL AT THE PLANT. I couldn't belive it and was really angry. GUESS WHAT!!!! My car, #528, arrived at the dealer yesterday (one day after they told me it was sill at the plant). We went to see it today. It's GORGEOUS!!! Well worth waiting for.It's obvious that no one really knows the status of these cars. So just be patient. :party:
Congrats, ParTee! The misinformation must stem from the rapid movement of these cars. The system just can't keep up. Enjoy the ride. I'm still patiently awaiting mine. :cool:

·
Registered
278 Posts
where in AZ are you? ill hop on yours if you dont want it! im serious!

·
Registered
275 Posts
RJinAZ said:
With an attitude like yours, I don't believe I'd want you as a customer.
I'm glad to see there will be a vehicle available for someone who isn't
an anal-obsessive neurotic.
Why anyone would assume that any schedule would be met with a new
production line and new vehicle and already reported holdups, etc. is a total mystification to me. I've never had a house delivered within 4 weeks of when the builder promised, even when the weather was perfect. Scheduled dates of delivery always assume that there are no hitches. Reality teaches there will almost always be hitches. Salesman and others should always assume the worst and give a pessimistic delivery schedule. Oddly enough, people don't care so much how long it takes, only that it come when promised.
Remember, nobody ever got yelled at by underpromising.

·
Registered
48 Posts
kingarthur said:
Oddly enough, people don't care so much how long it takes, only that it come when promised.
Remember, nobody ever got yelled at by underpromising.
You're exactly right, which is why GM needs to learn the lesson to UNDERPROMISE and OVERDELIVER instead of the other way around. By marketing and driving major hype in April with a promised Summer '05 delivery date (and I don't remember hearing any reports of problems on April 15th) they sold what they could not deliver. People get all over Microsoft about this but GM can't be faulted for it?

I think these guys knew exactly what they were doing and it's a crappy business practice. They wanted to hype and sell the Solstice before the new MX-5 hit the market and create a first to market advantage even though it was an illusion and they knew the car wouldn't be ready until October. They then swiftly started trying to re-set expectations AFTER they had more than 7k orders.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I went to the dealer today and had a heart to heart about honesty and integrity. As a pilot, my life revolves around a planner. I can accept delays. I despise lies and actions that waste my time. The dealer decided to cut $500 from the price and fill the tank for a month at no charge. The deal lives.

·
5,600 Posts
deluke said:
Alot of people care !! Maybe not you, speak for only yourself.
OK, I will speak only for myself. I don't care.

I don't care, because I don't know this person.

I make a lot of assumptions filtered through my prejudices when I read an electronic post from an annonymous source on a completely unrestricted bulletin board.

I read the post and learned several things:

1) the poster wanted a Solstice but now does not.

2) they are boycotting GM products as a result

3) the most important thing was not in having the car but in having the car weeks ago

4) the poster was willing to pay excess thousands on ebay to have the car weeks ago

I read the post and made several judgments. The poster lacks patience. They know this is a first year of a first ever model with all of the problems associated therewith, yet expect things to run perfectly smooth. The car is just about to become available - and they change their mind. This tells me that the desire for a Solstice was very mild to begin with. If they had wanted the car badly enough, another week of waiting would not be insufficient to sway them from wanting the car. The primary desire was to have the car weeks ago, even at thousands over from e-bay. Being an Arizona resident, it is not to beat the rainy winters, I can assure you.

So in my judgment, this person wanted a "flavor of the month" to be seen in. Doesn't particularly care for GM cars, but just saw a gorgeous car for a decent price that would fill the need for their image. They don't need this car as their are a myriad of other image cars out there to fill the need - so who needs the Solstice or GM? I assumed the poster would drive the Solstice only until it was no longer attention-getting and would move on to the next flavor of the month.

Yes, I made all these snap judgments reading the intial post. We all do it - don't deny it. And the above is only half of the reason why I don't care.

The other half of the reason is that I really don't care what some stranger I will never meet who lives 2 states away makes for his or her personal transportation decision.

I don't know this person from adam. Likely he or she is a nice upstanding citizen. But how do I know, from the annonymity of an unrestricted electronic message board? For all I know this individual could be my political polar opposite cancelling all of my votes in every national election, they could be a draft-dodger, a baby abuser, a wife beater, a cheater on taxes, a drug pusher. Gee, you don't think that everyone who posts on an annonymous unrestricted electronic message board is a model citizen, do you?

Now before I get my post deleted, I am not implying this person is any of those things that I listed. All I am trying to say is that there is something unique about the internet that seems to make people completely forget or disregard the possible characteristics of the people with which they correspond, and to become bonded with them as if with family or long time friends. Excuse me? I don't understand that at all.

If this person is an "image is everything" jerk who just wants to get one of the 1st Solstices to stroke his ego, then I can assure you, I really don't care if he walks away from this car or not.

If this person is an all-around good guy who passes on a chance to get a desireable car at a good price because he lacks the patience to wait an extra week after months of waiting, then I really don't care. Its his business what he buys. I'm never going to meet him. Goodbye and good luck in your future, buddy.

If this person is the nicest guy in the world who is just fed up with the run-around he is getting from the dealership and after months of waiting is just at the end of his rope and has lots of other problems in his life and this is just the last straw and out of complete and utter frustration with life he emotionally spouts off that he's done with this car and with GM forever, I just don't care.

You see, this person is a stranger in my life and I have no basis upon which to invest myself emotionally in his problems to care or not to care.

Honestly, it seems to me that after waiting so long and coming so close it is illogical to give up so soon. And so I don't feel like this is a person worth caring about in any circumstances. This is not like someone who has gone to hell and back to get this car and been obstructed at every turn by devious people. This is just one person being impatient with the delivery of a startup model of car and stating a boycott of all future GM products as a result. To that extent, I honestly don't care about him. I really don't - just speaking for myself, of course.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
jimbo said:
OK, I will speak only for myself. I don't care.

I don't care, because I don't know this person.

I make a lot of assumptions filtered through my prejudices when I read an electronic post from an annonymous source on a completely unrestricted bulletin board.

I read the post and learned several things:

1) the poster wanted a Solstice but now does not.

2) they are boycotting GM products as a result

3) the most important thing was not in having the car but in having the car weeks ago
I took out some of your post it was a little long, didn't want to take up room.

I understand your opinion, just think it would be better if every one is nice. There is alot of frustration with this car. I myself have been tempted to cancel several times, even road tested a crossfire, But I love the Solstice and think it will be worth the wait. Expecially after seeing one today.Really didn't mean to attack if that is what it seemed like I did.

]

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.