Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SOLO PERFORMANCE GXP & NA CATS ARE READY!

Our GXP CATS are tested and ready to go! As many of you know its been a long road to manufacturing a cat for the GXP that doesn’t trigger the engine light. After months of consulting with engineers, trial and error and frustration we are glad to announce that we have our GXP CAT ready for sale. After 23 years in the exhaust business I have to say that this project (the SOLO GXP CAT) has been the toughest by far. From switching manufactures… I won’t bore you with all of it.

We made a special exhaust (stacked) for the GM Design Centre in Warren, MI and even they were impressed that we were able to keep the engine light off without using a SIM. GM’s “Done up” GXP will be unveiled at this years SEMA show in Las Vegas, it has our Cat and Exhaust on it.

I would like to sincerely thank Shabby for his unending patience and help during this process. I was beginning to break out in cold sweats if I saw a PM from him.”Oh no not the light again!” Thanks Shabby for being so accommodating.

GXP CAT PICS...
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
THE FIX...

The Right Cat…
Most CAT manufactures of the stainless coil cat use a 3 or 3 ½” coil. Many of these manufactures have problems with the stainless coil detaching from the sides. Many don’t use Cerium, a necessary ingredient in helping to reduce oxygen levels in the cat and help keep the light off. We ultimately went to a manufacturer that makes a full 5 inch stainless coil. It’s 66% more catalyst than most manufactures. Fortunately, this reduces emissions to proper levels. Unfortunately, these extra 2 inches come at a price. Each individual coil after being wound is tack welded. The finished coil is secured to the sides and can’t come loose. This process also comes at a price. This cat body is priced at well over two times the cost of our original manufacturer. Another added benefit of this 5” cat is that it is not overly loud. One forum member said it was close to O.E. Quiet.

O2 Relocation….
On our 3” front pipe for the GXP the rear 02 sensor must be relocated and extended out of the direct path of the exhaust. The rear 02 only monitors oxygen levels and with free flow cats, the exhaust doesn’t stay in the cat long enough to get the necessary amount burned off. Manipulating the position of the rear O2 and extending it solves this problem. All necessary hydrocarbon and NOX gasses are burned off. The extra oxygen that slides by is in no way harmful to the environment or anything else. No 02 wire extensions are needed as to 02 placement is only about 2 ½ “ from the original location.

GXP CAT PICS...
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
GXP CAT SPECS:
1. Full 3” stainless steel mandrel bent cat
2. Stainless steel laser cut flanges
3. Specially made metal gaskets from turbo to cat included
4. O2 extender included
5. All hardware included

PRE-SALE PRICE................... $275.00 (First 25 units sold)
FORUM DISCOUNTED PRICE.. $319.00
LIST PRICE.......................... $425.00
SHIPPING............................. $ 30.00
(Shipping of course would be free if you were purchasing an exhaust kit at the same time)

NA CAT SPECS – Uses the same 5” cat body no O2 relocations is necessary for the NA cats.
1. Stainless steel coil cat
2. Stainless steel laser cut flanges
3. Specially made gaskets for both ends
4. O2 extender included
5. All hardware included

PRE-SALE PRICE....................$240.00 (First 25 units sold)
FORUM DISCOUNTED PRICE....$289.00
LIST PRICE............................$390.00
SHIPPING...............................$ 30.00
(Shipping of course would be free if you were purchasing an exhaust kit at the same time)

For all orders please do one of the following:
1. PM GOINGSOLO
2. Email [email protected]
3. Call Jeff at 905-703-1557
4. Call Zoro Muffler at 905-897-6833

Note: Please check with your dealer about any warranty issues etc.

Thanks so much!
Jeff

NA CAT PICS...
7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

O2 EXTENDER...
extender.jpg

GXP GASKET...

gasket.jpg

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ummm... what can I say. As being one of the first to prototype this CAT. I am very proud!! This is a great product. Same goes for the exhaust I bought from SOLO. I get more power from my GXP then I use too. I get pushed back in my seat every time I hit the gas. I have also experienced an increase in MPG.

Thanks for all your efforts in keeping my SOL and other SOLs happy!

1200 miles on the new CAT and very happy,

Brian

·
Registered
516 Posts
The cat for the N/A, is this a direct fit/bolt on, or do I need to cut a pipe down.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The cat for the N/A, is this a direct fit/bolt on, or do I need to cut a pipe down.
ditto for the gxp/redline. Does it link to stock exhausts systems and other exhausts, or only yours?

I'm very interested in this product. Any idea of hp increase, if any? Possible to have a dyno done

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi. These cats are built as a direct fit converter. They bolt on just like a stock cat would, even down to the proper bottom flange holes for the hanger bracket. The cats fit the GXP/Redline and the Solstice/Sky.
GXP-CAT
One thing we did with the GXP cat was to make the outlet a full 3" ball. We made sure that this ball fit the stock exhaust as well as ours. The original GXP cat that we dyno'd had a 15 HP ( at the flywheel ) increase. The new design is more free flow. The shape of the mandrel bent pipe has less bend and the outlet is a full 3" instead of our original 2 1/2. This should add HP. One thing that might take some of that gain away is the extra 2 inches of catalyst coil. All of the test vehicles ( five ) had our 3" front pipe on. We know that with any 3" front pipe the rear O2 bung must be moved slightly and extended. We haven't tested the cat with a 2 1/2" front pipe. From all of our tests and knowledge that we have gained my suspicion is that we would have to extend the rear O2 but not move it.
N/A CAT
We dyno'd the N/A cat a long time ago. It came in at 7 extra HP. Reports from customers have said that they get better mileage even when driving it harder. They have also said the rev's come a lot quicker.
Thanks.

·
Registered
312 Posts
sweet, finally a high flow cat that doesn't throw codes to hook up to my magnaflow. Sounds great. Give me 24 hrs to decide and jump on that presale....heh heh. any idea how many orders have come through already so i know how quickly to jump on this?

Also.......what time frame are we looking at for first shipments to go out?

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We have the cats built and ready to ship. DHL on average takes 3-4 days to deliver almost anywhere. As for doing mods all at once or is steps - most of the time it's recommended to do the mods one by one. This has several advantages. It spreads out the payments. It allows you to see the total effect of the one mod. It may change the noise level and you are better able to know when to stop doing mods that make the car louder. Lots of mods at once should only be done when you know that it is exactly what you want. Possibly your buddy has the same set up and you like it etc. We still have a lot of pre-sales left. Thanks.

·
Registered
348 Posts
PM sent with shipping information...thanks again Jeff.
caouldnt let ube the only one steve:lol: besides, i have to be louder than u

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I was told mine has shipped, should be installed Thursday so you guys aren't alone.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Wondering how loud this will be with the Street Race exhaust system. I love the sound of my car now, but much louder and it will take some of the fun out of the ride. Unless I save my pennies for the audio system upgrade. Also how difficult is installation? Something that could be accomplished in the driveway, or do you need to jack up the engine/tranny to install the cat?

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I should have the instructions soon, I think the hard part is getting the old cat out. They recommend you move the O2 sensor bung back so a little welding. I will no more by Friday it goes in on Thursday, I am concerned about noise as well.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I should have the instructions soon, I think the hard part is getting the old cat out. They recommend you move the O2 sensor bung back so a little welding. I will no more by Friday it goes in on Thursday, I am concerned about noise as well.
I was told by Jeff from SOLO that it does not raise the volume much...and some have said it is very close to OEM quiet. I think that cat has a little more packing in it than other high-flow cats, as these were specially made.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I talked to Jeff, waiting for mine to come in, you have to take out a motor mount and jack up the right side of the engine about an 1 1/2 inches to be able to change out the CAT. I've done simular proceedure when I had to change the timing belt on my son's dodge spirit. (in my garage)

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I just got the instructions, Deep is correct. You also have to move the exhaust bung for the O2 sensor back, drill a hole in exhaust and weld in new bung.

Instructions for O2 sensor

1) Take the front pipe right off the car.
2) Draw a line directly backwards from the center of the O2 bung. This line is a guide that you will measure on.
3) Measure back along this line exactly 2 inches from the center (middle of the O2 hole) of the stock O2 bung.
Mark the 2 inch point.
4) With a flexible measuring tape measure 1.25 or 1 ¼ inches down towards the passenger side of the pipe.
5) This is the center of the new O2 bung. Drill your hole and weld it in here.
6) Plug the front O2 hole with the provided plug.
7) Use the extender on the new rear O2 bung.
8) Install the front pipe and then thread the O2 sensor into the extender.
9) You’re done….

Install instructions:

1) Take off cat heat shield. 10ml bolts x 3.
2) Take out O2 sensor that goes into body of cat. 7/8 or 22ml wrench.
3) Undo the 4 bolts that hold the cat to the back of the turbo. 15ml x 4.
4) Take off two bolts from pipe flange to cat. 15ml x 2.
5) Take off two bolts from bottom cat flange to hanger bracket. 13ml x 2.
6) To get more removal room for the cat, take off bottom hanger bracket. 13ml x 2.
7) Cat is now loose but still can't come out.
8) Remove 15ml bolt from passenger side bottom motor mount.
9) Lift engine (actually tilt engine) up 1 to 1 ½ inches. This gives you enough room to rotate and manipulate the cat out from the bottom.
10) Reverse process to install new cat.

Some Cat Install Tips:

 Make sure the stock cat has cooled down all the way before you start removal. Being cool will not only save your skin it will help you not to break a stud.
 The upper gasket will only fit one way. GM’s bolt pattern is irregular and therefore will only fit properly one way.
 Professional installation of the catalytic converter is recommended.
 There is an O2 extender included with your kit. This O2 extender is to be placed in the front pipe at the rear O2 port. This takes the O2 sensor out of the direct stream of the exhaust. Repositioning this oxygen sensor to the rear O2 port and extending it will keep your engine light off.

1 - 20 of 193 Posts