Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I was told by Jeff from SOLO that it does not raise the volume much...and some have said it is very close to OEM quiet. I think that cat has a little more packing in it than other high-flow cats, as these were specially made.
I was told that same thing about their headers which is why I want the headers. I would think the cat would make some noise from what I heard from someone else.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
What kind of noise is that? These are a new cat...the older ones made more noise because they were filled with less material, and a different material.
No no no! I understand that and was hoping so too. That is why I like solo so much. :yesnod: Just a member on here as both the headers and cat from solo and he said the cat did make more noise but less than the competition, if that makes sense. This is why I am going to stick with solo...more performance and less noise. I hope the free flow cat is like OEM like stated!

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi to all. Thanks for such a great response to the cats!! A few customers have told me that the cats aren't overly noisy. In my estimation it changed the exhaust note to a deeper sound and increased the volume about 15% or so. I know that they are a whole lot quieter than the 3" cats that we originally used. Don't judge the sound by the initial start up. Just like the Street Race kit the initial start up is the worst sound that it makes. Within 2 minutes the car adjusts itself and becomes smooth. It becomes even smoother during the first week or so. We have had several cats go out the last few days (thanks) and we are looking forward to your feedback on sound and performance. Thanks Lil Goat for putting the instructions up. One thing I should add to the instructions:
Top Gasket - 4 hole to the turbo
1) The edges are extremely sharp. Please be careful.
2) There is an inner ring to this metal gasket for a better seal.
3) Tighten to 40 - 43 foot pounds of torque.
4) Because of this inner ring there appears to be a small gap between the turbo flange and the cat flange. This is proper and normal.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
:lol: Yes they are in the box but in braille.:lol:

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi Spiky. The install instructions are not in the box, sorry. Hopefully they have an e-mail and you could forward the ones I sent you. If you need me to send to them just let me know. BTW I sent Norm some goods yesterday in regards to the project he's doing for you. I think it's getting close. Should be stunning. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Hi Spiky. The install instructions are not in the box, sorry. Hopefully they have an e-mail and you could forward the ones I sent you. If you need me to send to them just let me know. BTW I sent Norm some goods yesterday in regards to the project he's doing for you. I think it's getting close. Should be stunning. Thanks.
Awesome...he posted some pics in another thread and it looks great! I have the directions and I printed them out...I will leave it with my installers. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I ordered mine the other night along with the Street Race exhaust. Thanks, Jeff, for working with me on it.

They are being shipped to Deepbluegxp's house, pre-welded. It should be a pretty simple install (I hope) on the SMIB Mod Meet on the 29th...

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
If you go on the run before you guys do the install you will have a very hard time the system will be really hot. Not the best idea doing it at the meet. I think you need at least 4 hours cooling time. I dropped mine off a day in advance so it would be cool.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
No problem, bring it over early and I'll put it on ramps and a fan on it. You already did the run several times. You can ride in the support vehicle and take back the potluck. I've done work like this on spirit when I had to remove the right engine mount and jack the motor to replace the timing belt.

·
2,574 Posts
instructions

I got the complete instructions for the Cat install and the bung relocation as a download in the e-mail from Solo confirming the shipping date of the Cat and giving me the tracking number from the delivery company which is DHL. So look carefully at your shipping confirmation e-mail from Jeff and you can download a hard copy there if you need it. (Although Lil Goat has done the honors above) ;) Can't hardly wait for Lil Goat's report, I'm sure it will be the first we hear.;)

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I got the complete instructions for the Cat install and the bung relocation as a download in the e-mail from Solo confirming the shipping date of the Cat and giving me the tracking number from the delivery company which is DHL. So look carefully at your shipping confirmation e-mail from Jeff and you can download a hard copy there if you need it. (Although Lil Goat has done the honors above) ;) Can't hardly wait for Lil Goat's report, I'm sure it will be the first we hear.;)
Thanks...I already just copied lil goat's instructions into Word and printed it out. My cat should be installed by tomorrow afternoon. Car is going in today. I will have dyno numbers also.

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hi. Yes it is very important to have your car cool down completely before taking apart the 4 top nuts that bolt the cat to the turbo. The studs are stainless and you want to take great care not to break them. The stainless studs usually break flush or even inset and then it's very time consuming to repair this. Here are a few points that may help.
1) Let the car cool down completely.
2) Spray small amounts of penetrating fluid on the nuts/stud.
3) Don't force the nuts off. If they bind work them back and forth.

Just because you have them off the battle is still not won. You could break the studs when you re-tighten to the new cat.
1) Make sure the nut is not cross threaded.
2) If it binds going on and it's not cross threaded, apply a small dab of grease or penetrating fluid to the stud to help the nut along.
3) Tighten evenly and don't over tighten.

Professional installation is recommended. If you are doing it yourself please call 905-703-1557 or 905-897-6833 if you start having trouble. Don't wait until the trouble gets deep, call early on and possibly save yourself some big frustration.

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
PS. Make sure you retain your stock cat if you're getting the install done at a shop. Many times they want to keep them or they "loose" them. The recycle value of your cat is somewhere between $70 and $90.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
PS. Make sure you retain your stock cat if you're getting the install done at a shop. Many times they want to keep them or they "loose" them. The recycle value of your cat is somewhere between $70 and $90.
Where do you take it to get the 70-90 dollars?

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
You could always ship it to Buffalo!! I'm not sure in the NY area but if you checked around with metal recyclers, even your local mufflershop, or the install shop that you are using I bet they could tell you. I think you would want to hold onto it though. When you sell the vehicle or trade it in it's always good to have it. The recyclers are after the platinum, palladium, and rhodium thats in the cat.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
You could always ship it to Buffalo!! I'm not sure in the NY area but if you checked around with metal recyclers, even your local mufflershop, or the install shop that you are using I bet they could tell you. I think you would want to hold onto it though. When you sell the vehicle or trade it in it's always good to have it. The recyclers are after the platinum, palladium, and rhodium thats in the cat.
Gotcha...I think I'm going to hold on to it for safe keeping, just in case I decide to sell it in later years. Did you see Norm's rear diffuser? It looks amazing!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I just spoke with the installer doing my cat, he is doing it on a lift and says it is a lot of work, mostly it's a real pain getting the old cat off. I am glad I am having it done and didn't try it myself. I just spoke with the installer again, he agrees with Jeff this is not something you really want to do in your drive way. I hasn't been easy even with a lift. He was really glad we left it over night before he started the install, he started it and had to make an adjustment, had to wait almost an hour before he could touch it and it only ran for 2 minutes. This one is better left to the pro's or those with access to a lift.

21 - 40 of 193 Posts