Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, what is a limited slip? It is like a traction control?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
The differential is where the engine's power is transfered to your rear wheels (center of the rear axel).

A LSD is a type of differential that can actually detect where the power/torque from your engine needs to go. If one of your rear tires is on a patch of ice, the differential will send most of your engine's torque to the one wheel that has the traction.

It's purely mechanical. No computer required.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
LSD is a very nice thing to have... especially when there's rain or snow on the ground.

And if for some reason one wheel was off the ground, the wheel on the ground would get all the traction.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
The cost of the LSD option is pretty minor, so I think it is a good deal and well worth the money.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Fortimir said:
LSD is a very nice thing to have... especially when there's rain or snow on the ground.

And if for some reason one wheel was off the ground, the wheel on the ground would get all the traction.
Actually with a torsen lsd(i believe thats what the solstice has) as soon as one wheel is off the ground the lsd becomes an open diff, both wheels have to be on the ground for a torsen lsd to work properly.
While with a clutch type lsd, it will remain engaged when a wheel lifts off the ground.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was told by the dealer it has a LOCKING diff... The same diff found in there 4x4's. GM has the patent to this. If that is true LOCKING diff work differently then limited slip diff.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
SOL FULL said:
I was told by the dealer it has a LOCKING diff... The same diff found in there 4x4's. GM has the patent to this. If that is true LOCKING diff work differently then limited slip diff.
It is not a locking differential.

A locking diff such as in some 4wd vehicles is one which has a switch in the cabin which you can throw to "lock" it on so both wheels get power, regardless of traction. It often locks it in a constant, such as 50-50, regardless of traction. They can also be paired with a limited slip which will alter the power side to side, unless "locked"

In an open diff, the wheel with no traction will get all the power, and just spin in place.

A limited slip, as explained, is a differential that will alter power between the wheels, sending power to the wheel with the most traction. This is preferred in sports cars for a couple reasons. On acceleration, it helps get all the power to the ground instead of spinning one tire. In turns, it prevents the wheel that had weight transfer off of it (and thus having less traction) from spinning, sending that power to the wheel with the most weight transfer over it (and thus more traction).

·
5,600 Posts
Pontiac_67 said:
Hi, what is a limited slip? It is like a traction control?

Thank you.
Limited slip differentials were the cave man's way of providing traction control before the invention of computers.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
jimbo said:
Limited slip differentials were the cave man's way of providing traction control before the invention of computers.
LSD : Slide-rule :: TC : Basic Calculator

Both are effective, one's a little more old-fasioned... but one is fool-proof and can be used even without electricity :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
There is only a small handful of TC systems I would allow on my car. Most simply use the ABS sensors to detect differences in wheel speed and then cut power until they match again. NO THANK YOU!

LSD for me please. BTW, a differentials purpose is to allow the wheels to turn at different speeds when rounding a corner since the wheels paths are different lengths. If you had a locking diff in the car on pavement the entire body would shake and shimmy as one side was dragged around the corner.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Darkhamr said:
There is only a small handful of TC systems I would allow on my car. Most simply use the ABS sensors to detect differences in wheel speed and then cut power until they match again. NO THANK YOU!

LSD for me please. BTW, a differentials purpose is to allow the wheels to turn at different speeds when rounding a corner since the wheels paths are different lengths. If you had a locking diff in the car on pavement the entire body would shake and shimmy as one side was dragged around the corner.
Just try using 4*4 that is locked into 4WD on pavement, in a sharp curve!! ;) I have felt better in some dentists' chairs!! :lol:

·
Registered
133 Posts
shabby said:
Dealers are clueless 90% of the time, a locking diff on a roadster? I have my doubts.
Too true. The confusion stems from the item code used by Pontiac for this part. It is identified as G80 when ordered on the Solstice, the same code used for the Eaton locking differential found on GMC and Chevy pickups and SUV's. It is not a locking diff on the solstice, but a limited slip, same as is found on the Cadillac CTS. But most Pontiac dealers should be forgiven as they are usually also GMC dealers, but not Cadillac dealers.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
There is a big difference between locking and limited slip... Limited slip means just that.. It will still slip. I believe Eaton makes the locking differential for GM. Any of you that are fans of Ship Shape TV may have seen the demonstration of locking vs. limited slip on a boat launch ramp. (actually a piece of stainless steel on an incline with a water spray on it. One tire was on the steel the other on concrete. The locking allowed both wheels to spin at the same speed so the wheel on concrete had enough traction to pull the truck and bolt up the incline. The limited slip did better that no traction control whatsoever, but the wheel still spun and the rig wasn't able to get traction. Locking was touted as a $300 option on GMC pickups, but can't tell you if Eaton builds one in our size.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts