Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a lip spoiler I had ordered from Autopartsgear. I picked it up yesterday and took it down to my local body shop today for them to install. Surprise surprise, it does not fit. The body shop guys exact words were" this will never fit and if you try and pull in down with the bolts you will distort the cars body". I will try and return it tomorrow. I'll keep you posted on the outcome. I still want a spoiler, just one that fits. Any ideas.

Don from Nanaimo

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Go to gmpartsdirect.com: Alternate GM Catalog and do the search. For most parts, which are usually non-returnable, the site gives you the option of submitting your car data, and they will email you if they think it should fit. The email will have the part number, so you can compare with the one that doesn't fit, before ordering.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. I did check out GM parts but could not find a listing for the spoiler, will try sending them an e-mail. I also looked at CARID but did not want to repeat the process just to find another spoiler that wouldn't fit, so thanks for that vote of confindence. On the plus side I have been corresponding with Alan from Autopartgear and it looks like he will take it back.

Don from Nanaimo

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
When I search the 2006 Solstice, I find it under Body Hardware, #21 on the diagram showing the nose.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am looking for the rear lip spoiler, number one in the first photo. I have sent the one from Autopartsgear back because it would not fit. It cost $40 to send it back so now I am gun shy about ordering another one from someone else. Carid has one for around the $200 mark and GM parts has an unpainted one for a whole lot more. I will wait until I see a refund for the first one before I make up my mind.

Don from Nanaimo

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I had the same problem. Took mine to my dealership for pro install. My pal the trim guy told me it would not fit plus the paint was slightly off. The vendor took care of me 100%. Therefore I put this mod on hold. If I do decide to proceed the only way I would go is the GM one for around $300.00 and then take it to my body shop for paint and install. Going to cost a lot more but will be perfect.:thumbs:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,478 Posts
I am looking for the rear lip spoiler, number one in the first photo.
Don from Nanaimo
Thanks for the answer, Don. From the rest of the thread it appeared that many people were thinking you were looking for the part in the second photo.

:dthumbs:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the confusion, I didn't realize the front bit had the same name. I am leaning towards the unpainted one from GM like Northern Sol. $300 + maybe $150 for paint and install is more than the one I just sent back, but I want it perfect and if that is what it takes then so be it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sorry for the confusion, I didn't realize the front bit had the same name. I am leaning towards the unpainted one from GM like Northern Sol. $300 + maybe $150 for paint and install is more than the one I just sent back, but I want it perfect and if that is what it takes then so be it.
ebay lip spoiler is around $85-90 comes primed and ready for paint, exact same thing you're looking for

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Only other choices is the RKSport wing versions;
available in solid fiberglass (395): 06-Up Solstice Spoiler
or carbon fiber top (649).

Aftershock offers a version that fits the same area as the OEM but is a ducktail design (and produced by RKSport).
AFTERSHOCK PRODUCTS - aftershock products
fiberglass (285) carbon fiber (370).

Seen this european 3rd Gen Firebird version advertised but unsure if anyone in the states offers it.
AFTERSHOCK PRODUCTS - aftershock products

Ebay offers OEM replicas and wings some said they've bought here.
pontiac solstice rear spoiler | eBay

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info. The one I bought and returned was listed on E-Bay and came from an outfit called Autopartsgear. It was manufactured in Malaysa. It was painted and although the finish was excellent there was no way it would fit the car. I am looking into the one from Carid which is made in Calif and hopefully will actually fit the car at $200. The other option is from GM at $300 and unpainted which would mean maybe an additional $150 for paint and install. I am now gun shy about ordering something cheaper from e-bay as it cost me $40 to send the first one back for a refund, which BTW I just got.

Don from Nanaimo

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Crate Engine has the GM lip spoiler for $369.00. As mentioned before you have to get it painted. I am thinking about it!:willy::thumbs::willy:

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
If you are looking for the rear spoiler, I just bought one from Carid for around $200. Delivery in about a week. Ordered it painted black. Comes with 3M tape all around + 4 screws for a more secure mount. A lot of folks do not want to drill holes in the panel to mount this spoiler. I did not want it flying off at speed so drillled holes in panel to mount. Soon discovered that I had to remove the rear panel in order to put in screws/bolts. Everything lined up perfectly, drilled holes in fact, came out at "Factory locations". Before taking off the rear panel, I did make a major screw up...tried to screw in the screws/bolts and wound up stripping one of the nuts in the spoiler. Had to drill a new hole and use a sheet metal screw at that point (rear panel now removed). When drilling the new hole, I drilled through the damn spoiler and put a nice 3/32" hole in the edge! A lot of new cuss words, dents in drywall due to thrown tools. The next day, after calming down, went ahead and mounted it, used flexible putty, primed, painted, cleared, rubbed out, can't tell I screwed up. SO...if you purchase the spoiler and if you choose to use the bolts, take off the rear panel after you have marked for holes and drilled. So much easier to do a correct mounting.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
If you are looking for the rear spoiler, I just bought one from Carid for around $200. Delivery in about a week. Ordered it painted black. Comes with 3M tape all around + 4 screws for a more secure mount. A lot of folks do not want to drill holes in the panel to mount this spoiler. I did not want it flying off at speed so drillled holes in panel to mount. Soon discovered that I had to remove the rear panel in order to put in screws/bolts. Everything lined up perfectly, drilled holes in fact, came out at "Factory locations". Before taking off the rear panel, I did make a major screw up...tried to screw in the screws/bolts and wound up stripping one of the nuts in the spoiler. Had to drill a new hole and use a sheet metal screw at that point (rear panel now removed). When drilling the new hole, I drilled through the damn spoiler and put a nice 3/32" hole in the edge! A lot of new cuss words, dents in drywall due to thrown tools. The next day, after calming down, went ahead and mounted it, used flexible putty, primed, painted, cleared, rubbed out, can't tell I screwed up. SO...if you purchase the spoiler and if you choose to use the bolts, take off the rear panel after you have marked for holes and drilled. So much easier to do a correct mounting.
Thanks for the feedback. Wow that sounds frustrating! The only way I will do this is the" GM official spoiler" way and then have my body shop paint it to be an exact match and install it. When I bought an aftermarket one it did not line up and the paint was not an exact match so I kiboshed it. It is a lot of money to go the route I am talking so I am still thinking about it. I do love the look of the "lip spoiler". I admired many Sols with them at the Nationals:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I am a new member so will now see if this works...adding some pictures to see what I was up against...

I guess as a free member, I am not allowed to even post a photobucket link? Oh well, in a month or so, I will be a paid member...

·
Registered
102 Posts
You can post. You just tried to add your whole photobucket album at once and the link was bad (you had an extra http// tag in the link.)

If you try removing the extra http//, it'll work. You also need to do it for each pic you want to post, like so:

Looks good, btw. Never been a fan of rear spoilers, but I do like that lip that Pontiac did. Wonder how it would look on a Sky, except for the fact it wouldn't fit. :(

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have the aftershock spoiler. I like the way it looks better than the factory style. Came painted and ready to put on. Not as cheap as the ones on ebay, but i was looking for something different. Fit was great.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Pulled the trigger!

Any of you who know me are well aware that I am right at of control when it comes to my Mods!:devil: I have ordered from Crate Engine .....
$368.99 = Solstice GM rear spoiler
$16.44 = 6 rear spoiler mounting nuts
---------------
$385.43 total

Tom at Crate Engine helped me out a bit on shipping.:thumbs: This sealed the deal for me. I will budget around $200.00 for paint and install from my body shop.

Will be around $600.00 when it is all said and done!:willy:
Should look great!!!!:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts