Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Hello all,

Am I the only Solstice owner living with BDG due to Tight Wallet Syndrome?

What is BDG you may ask? BDG is short for Body Damage Guilt. That's when you know there's body damage on your kappa because somebody at some point in your car's life improperly lifted it and/or accidentally drove the front of the car too close to a parking curb but you can't bring yourself to do anything about the damage.

BDG is exacerbated when you stand looking from afar at your 10 year old car and say to yourself that this fairly low mileage, nice running, American assembled roadster that you bought last summer (knowing these imperfections were part of the deal) still looks pretty good but... it could be better.

About then Tight Wallet Syndrome begins to set in. You know these "little" things could be professionally fixed to make the car whole again but at a price...

That's when sweat beads begin to form on the forehead as you begin to research the cost of the repairs. You then begin to get a little nauseous when you rationalize that the events that occurred under previous ownership to damage the car could also happen under your watch too. Figuring it would be horrible if you were to address the BDG with an outlay of cash to fix the "not too obvious" body damage and it be all for naught due to history repeating itself. A sudden realization that money not spent on these repairs could be better spent signing up for NASSAM, buying a new set of wheels, or going toward expenses for your next cross country top down excursion helps slow your racing pulse.

That's Tight Wallet Syndrome in full bloom.

For me at this point in time, nothing has been done to alleviate BDG so I know the BDG cycle will occur again and continue occurring until it eventually overwhelms Tight Wallet Syndrome.

Are there others out there afflicted by this malady too?

:willy::willy::willy:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Body damage guilt happens to all of us, and it's not tight wallet syndrome, it's just that we haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.

One of these days . . . maybe . . .

:thumbs:

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a very small crease in the hood. It wasn't there when I washed the car. When I washed it the next week it was there. I assume someone backed over it in a parking lot. I shake my head every time I wash the car because I cannot justify a new hood.

·
Registered
191 Posts
For me it was Insurance that replace my front nose panel after have run over road debrie to tear off said lower lip and those following me got to see it go flying in the air. (Happened at said Nassom last year and those behind me told me about it). So yes, cost me my $250 deductable, but I am now sporting a new and fresh painted nose bumper. But yes I do worry that this is possible again. Also I make sure not to pull close to any parking stop curbs that would aid in making me feel sick. LOL

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Hah oh man, so the bottom of all four quarters since '06/07ish but only really noticeable when under the car
a small hand print on one of the humps from probably my first week of ownership. also barely noticeable but i saw it every time i closed the trunk
absolute salt and pepper of the rear quarters from rock chips
picked up a $50 GXP fascia that forum member's wife ripped off backing out of the garage that has a small crease near the fog and only one screw tab on that side (so i wouldn't have to cut mine to fit the intercooler)
one fender liner is almost non-existent from cracking and rubbing on the wheel
a fad was going around last winter where kids would jump backwards onto car hoods which hit the engine block producing a nice back-sized compound dent

still smiled every time i drove her

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Being a detail freak stuff like dents ,scratches ,broken components drive me nuts to the point that they get taken care of asap . Every spring I go over the whole car and anything that needs to be fixed gets done I've found that the paintless dent guys do a hell of a job and they are not that expensive considering the body shop option . I had the Solstice and Chevelle gone over last year and it's pretty amazing how nice the cars ended up looking and you can have a couple done and bring it back again later if your tight on money . One thing I would recommend if your going this route is find someone who works on Classic,sports ,hot rods etc. A lot of these guys work on new cars (work for dealers or lease companies ) and don't really put the time or effort into an older car I learned from experience . I also have a bottle of Dr. Color Chip for touch ups the stuff works great my cars are not perfect but as close as I can get . So I guess that you can say I have a bad case of BDG:grin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts