Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,
I have an oil leak at the pan (i think) that's spraying oil everywhere from the subframe to the exhaust pipes. The leak makes itself present when under WOT, I can smell the oil being burned when under WOT. Do you guys have any idea how I can replace the oil pan without having to remove the engine?

Thanks,

·
Registered
611 Posts
Have you cleaned the engine and verified the leak is coming from the oil pan? I did a search of GXP oil leaks and did not find the oil pan seal as a common source, there are much more common sources. Sorry I only have a V8 & N/A Solstice so no real help with GXP

·
Super Moderator
8,028 Posts
Gentlemen,
I have an oil leak at the pan (i think) that's spraying oil everywhere from the subframe to the exhaust pipes. The leak makes itself present when under WOT, I can smell the oil being burned when under WOT. Do you guys have any idea how I can replace the oil pan without having to remove the engine?

Thanks,
I agree with @cammerjeff , clean the engine thoroughly to verify the source of the leak first. I also have not heard of any oil pan leaks, and you shouldn't get spraying oil from there in any case.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with @cammerjeff , clean the engine thoroughly to verify the source of the leak first. I also have not heard of any oil pan leaks, and you shouldn't get spraying oil from there in any case.
Will do! I will report back with pictures.

·
Registered
289 Posts
It's probably the oil cooler.
I've had to replace the oil cooler seals in my GXP (at 150K miles) and my NA (130K miles). I posted some how to threads a few years ago. The only other oil leak I've had was a poorly installed oil filter...my fault.

·
Registered
865 Posts
@SoCal

With out cars getting older the mileage is probably not going too need to be that high in order to have the seals go. rubber dry rots. So I can see an oil leak happening from the oil cooler at lower mileage.

When yours went bad did it spray the oil?. I am thinking that the OP's oil cooler is leaking, and now that you mention it, it could be the o-ring on the oil filter cover is pinched and leaking. but in either case the oil shouldn't spray.. it probably runs down and the air movement under the car spreads it everywhere. making it look like some crazy major oil leak.

I guess the best way to know how bad the leak is would be to check the level of the oil and see how low it is. That would give a better idea as to where it may be coming from.

If it is the oil cooler that has got to be one pain in the ass job to do. did you pull the brake booster and master to allow for easier access?. The shop manuals only show pictures as if the engine is taken out of the car.. Between the EBCM and the brake booster and the entangles disaster of brake lines wiring and coolant lines I am not sure it could be removed without taking out or moving some of those things.

It would not be an easy job I will say that.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My oil coolers were only dripping but did make a mess on the garage floor. Replacing the seals is not an impossible job. You need to remove the cowl and three radiator hoses to get access but there are only three bolts holding it on. The tricky part is that one of them cannot be seen and has to be put on by feel.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been busy. I plan on posting pics sometimes this week. I will keep you guys updated.

I had recently changed my clutch. I remember seeing the oil cooler being dry. The transmission bellhousing bolts were a :poop: to get to. Two of them I had to get off by feel. I will double check the cooler again.

·
Registered
865 Posts
OK this may be a clue...

was the leak there before doing the clutch?

I know then when I first looked behind the engine it looked as tho the oil cooler might have been part of the transmission.. Do you loosen one of the oil cooler bolts and not tighten it back up? Did you have someone help you with the replacement of the clutch? and if so I would go and check the oil cooler bolts. that person may have loosened an oil cooler bolt accidentally.

was there an extra mystery bolt, maybe got written off as weight reduction? LOL.. could have been a bolt taken out of the oil cooler on accident.

I would get a mirror and a light and make sure that all of the bolts are in that oil cooler and that all of the bolts are tight. and since you are back there take the cap off the oil filter and check the O-ring.

Simple things first...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts