Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
I really want to do something with the brakes on this car because they are crap. My friend said braided hoses and better pads will make a huge diff, any thoughts?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm looking at doing the same thing. From what I have read, better pads like EBC or Hawk, are an improvement and going to a slotted and drilled rotor would also help. I reading that a caliper upgrade is only needed for severe duty.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
I really want to do something with the brakes on this car because they are crap. My friend said braided hoses and better pads will make a huge diff, any thoughts?

I've got EBC Yellow pads front/rear and SS lines, best pedal feel setup of any of my cars, including Wilwoods on my Formula. Easy install, consider it one of the best bang for the buck mod's I've done.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Todd from TCe has a rear brake kit with the parking brake on it. Several guys here on the forum have run his kits.

He is a supporting vendor. I will try to do some pics this weekend.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Do your ebc pads squeal at slow speeds?
No, leading edge is beveled and used the goo stuff on the backing plate. Also painted with el-cheapo Rust-Oleum paint that I applied with a brush so sort of thick. Hated the yellow color, got painted black, might help dampen the high freq sound of the pad touching the rotor at slow speed.

At the 1/4 track, trapping 107'ish I've climbed on the brakes hard enough to get the rotor hot to hurt the paint in the fins in middle of rotor but not the hat area and the calipers were still fine. Also made the first turn out where the EMS crews go on the track if they had to at VMP if anyone wanted to see the distance. That was only with only the EBC pads and stock lines. So not sure aftermarket brakes are worth bang for buck on our cars.

I've got EBC the 3500 also, no noise either, they are not painted.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Todd from TCe has a rear brake kit with the parking brake on it. Several guys here on the forum have run his kits.

He is a supporting vendor. I will try to do some pics this weekend.
I have his front and rear brake kits on my 2008 Gxp. I can't say enough good things about them. I love them. Great quality all around, easy to self install, parking brake works, abs works, looks great... Did I say that?

Love the separate rotor hats, I plan on buying a spare set of rotors when I get the chance.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
No, leading edge is beveled and used the goo stuff on the backing plate. Also painted with el-cheapo Rust-Oleum paint that I applied with a brush so sort of thick. Hated the yellow color, got painted black, might help dampen the high freq sound of the pad touching the rotor at slow speed.
Thanks, think i'll have to add some more of that goo, mine squealed pretty bad at first but then settled down and only made noise at low speeds. They do grab nicely though.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Thanks, think i'll have to add some more of that goo, mine squealed pretty bad at first but then settled down and only made noise at low speeds. They do grab nicely though.
If you don't have the lines, I would HIGHLY suggest them, you will have to reuse the stock banjos bolt in the back. Also check your fluid, mine was darker than I thought it would be with only 2500 miles on it. The other bag with the other part number should still be out in the garage.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've got EBC Yellow pads front/rear and SS lines, best pedal feel setup of any of my cars, including Wilwoods on my Formula. Easy install, consider it one of the best bang for the buck mod's I've done.
Thanks for the input, I guess it might make sense for me to go that route. Anyone else have input on this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts