Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The LNF is just a great engine with huge potential.

Unfortunately, they put it in a rather bloated chassis pushing 3,000 lbs. in the Solstice.

One can't help thinking about the same engine in a lighter car. Some of you are getting 400 BHP+ in your Solstices.

Stick it into something like this, that weighs just over 1500 lbs., and that would be like an 800 BHP Solstice would feel!

This modified Lotus Europa runs a 20B Mazda RX7 motor that puts out only a couple of hundred BHP. An LNF would fit very nicely in that chassis. keeping it on the ground might be an issue....

More info and pictures at: ROTARY BUZZ: RE-AMEMIYA'S 20B LOTUS EUROPA - Speedhunters

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,471 Posts
My brother-in-law once had a Lotus Europa, JPS version. It spent more time in the shop than in his driveway.

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I almost bought a Twin Cam Europa once (the Renault engined version never appealed to me much). I am a big guy, but I could get in OK. Getting out was another thing - basically throwing yourself out of the door on your hands an knees and crawling far enough away from the car to stand up. Could get old quick in areas where it rains a lot, or when picking up a new date (although some like the submissive attitude, I understand)

But driving them is another world - closest thing to a thought controlled car there is. You have to have done it to know what I mean.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
I almost bought a Twin Cam Europa once (the Renault engined version never appealed to me much). I am a big guy, but I could get in OK. Getting out was another thing - basically throwing yourself out of the door on your hands an knees and crawling far enough away from the car to stand up. Could get old quick in areas where it rains a lot, or when picking up a new date (although some like the submissive attitude, I understand)
Like this? (skip to 0:55)...

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
Personally they are an interesting engineering exercise and are very good at what they were designed to do. I prefer to ride a two wheeler with the same amount of HP and grip. And they are much easier to exit. Even when you do not plan on it!

But then that is story for another day.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
The Ariel Atom over at DDM is a good use of the Eco and it weighs less than the lotus.

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used to be more limber than I am now - get a bad back sometimes. The Europa is seriously low. My Jamaican bodied MG is only a couple of inches higher. I used to race an early TVR (low coupe, narrow doors) that required the crawl in technique and even my MGA coupe can be a bit challenging if you have a bad back, as it has narrower doors than the Solstice coupe and is an inch lower. I recall an MG midget I had for awhile being a chore to get into if the top was up.

I still prefer sports coupes though!

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
I have enough trouble with the Sol when the top is up. When its down, I just kind of brace myself on the handbrake and do a controlled fall into the driver's seat.:grouphug:

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That GT6.....

And I'd have left off the rear spoiler - too much like the Japanese sedan mods.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Bugeye #44690 :thumbs: now lives in Aurora, NC and my brother is taking great care of it. It has been in the family since '68. :cool:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts