Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I ordered my Solstice months ago I unfortunately did not have a contract drawn up. I had a short conversation with the salesman reguarding the selling price at MSRP. Since this was so long ago and I don't have a contract to prove it I'm afraid the dealership will mark the car up $5k when it comes in. Of course I will argue for MSRP since that was our verbal agreement. Although my dealership has been good so far, my past experience with dealerships has been one of little trust.

My car is first of first allocation and sitting at 3000. I'm hoping for delivery next month.

My Question: Should I wait until the car arrives to discuss price or start that conversation now? I'm afraid if I wait until delivery there will be even more hype about the car and a greater chance of a higher mark up.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
:yesnod: Go back to the dealer ASAP, Have him fill out a purchase agreement.

He has all the figures. Put at least $500 down and remind him of the figure he quoted you earlier.

I was on the honor system after I cancelled my order the day after the EOP thing failed. But, Pontiac told my dealer they would try to fix the zip code error by allowing 2 cars to be allotted to my dealer. The next day after my $500 deposit was taken off my credit card, I was just waiting in the limbo, trust zone.

I really was uneasy about the whole thing, So I went back to the dealer and gave him back the $500. And made sure everything in the paperwork was in order.

He told me not to worry, But, I would rather be safe than sorry.

He expects my RED Solstice to be delivered the end of october. Mitch

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
calsolstice said:
My car is first of first allocation and sitting at 3000. I'm hoping for delivery next month.

My Question: Should I wait until the car arrives to discuss price or start that conversation now? I'm afraid if I wait until delivery there will be even more hype about the car and a greater chance of a higher mark up.
go back and get a written sales agreement....asap......

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Follow their advice. They are under no obligation until they have given you a signed sales contract, specifically indicating the amount due to them from you. In fact, they really are not even under an obligation to sell you any car without the contract. They may still do it if they are an honorable dealership, and keep their word. Not all dealers are, and I wouldn't take the chance.

Get in there and get a deal on paper!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any bargaining suggestions to use with the dealer?
- Make it available for viewing to interested customers. At my convienence, of course.
- Offer to display it in the showroom for a few days. No test drives, of course.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
calsolstice said:
Any bargaining suggestions to use with the dealer?
- Make it available for viewing to interested customers. At my convienence, of course.
- Offer to display it in the showroom for a few days. No test drives, of course.
just get your deal in writing.....total $ to drive if off the lot...dont worry about the rest at this point...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Read this Thread:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4948

I have the first 1K car and there are very specific rules for the dealer and buyer to follow..

I'm being shafted by $5,000.00 over MSRP....

I have been in contact with the Executives at GM and the local zone reps. No resolutions yet, but those bloodsucking parasites ( salesman ) at the dealership are under heavy fire from GM...

GET IT IN WRITING NOW!!!!!!

stop typing and go there now.....

good luck

FJ

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
The "dealer add on above MSRP" issue will always be there - unless you shop at a place like Saturn where there is supposedly just one price (GM's employee pricing ruins that situation though!).

Many dealers dont charge add-on fees - you just have to want their products!

Technically, even a deposit does not make you the owner until you complete the paperwork for transfer of title.

Don't be fooled by getting a vehicle for MSRP and then have the dealer charge you "document fees" or "paint sealant" or "theft resistant etching". Find out the total price when you place your order and get a copy of the agreement. Dont let them leave those add-ons until the "surprise" at the close of the deal.

I saw an add the other day for a dealership which included the line, "our document are only $69". Man, times have changed - document fees are nothing more than add-ons and now, since so many dealers are charging exhorbitant fees, $69 supposedly sounds like a good deal!

Also, if the car was actually yours before you took delivery, then it would also be yours when it falls off the truck or is trashed during a test drive. It works both ways - wait until you inspect the vehicle at delivery and then decide if you will accept it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
MAKsys said:
This still hasn't been resolved? :willy: This is not good :cuss: How long till your car shows up?
My car ships on Monday (today)
The execs. from GM are working the issue.
They say "hold tight"
Small dealer just said another communication came out on Friday reg. price gouging.

I will keep you posted.

FJ

1 - 11 of 11 Posts