Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Atlanta, every Mazda dealership has several new 2006 Miatas just sitting on the lot, and one dealer is advertising $3000 off of a new 2006 with several to choose from. I haven't seen a single Solstice just sitting on anyone's showroom, everyone is begging to get the next one available.

Seeing the car (Miata) in person definitely reinforces the idea that the car is just plain ugly. So what if it can barely nudge the Solstice in a couple of performance categories, I'd rather be seen in something that looks as good as it drives, right?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
skyhigh said:
Here in Atlanta, every Mazda dealership has several new 2006 Miatas just sitting on the lot, and one dealer is advertising $3000 off of a new 2006 with several to choose from. I haven't seen a single Solstice just sitting on anyone's showroom, everyone is begging to get the next one available.

Seeing the car (Miata) in person definitely reinforces the idea that the car is just plain ugly. So what if it can barely nudge the Solstice in a couple of performance categories, I'd rather be seen in something that looks as good as it drives, right?
:agree: :agree:

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
My thoughts also. Hardly anyone looked at me in my Miata, now everyone looks at my Sol. Thanks GM!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Not to knock Mazda

Not to knock Mazda, my brother-in-law had one of the first Wankle engine beauties in the 70's and that thing hummed. I know now though that I could, (but I won't) pop my Solstice on Ebay and instantly get a huge profit, can Miata buyers say the same?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not only can they not make a profit, the dealers can't even sell them! No wonder Mazda has advertised the heck of that car and threw mud at the Solstice. GM has had a few poorly done commercials that don't even show the car but for a second, and one washed up reality show, very few magazine ads. THis proves that advertising can't sell anything people don't already want.

·
Registered
23 Posts
OZ40 said:
Not to knock Mazda, my brother-in-law had one of the first Wankle engine beauties in the 70's and that thing hummed. I know now though that I could, (but I won't) pop my Solstice on Ebay and instantly get a huge profit, can Miata buyers say the same?
That would be a mod I think would be hot. Put a Wankel from an RX-8 into a Solstice. Light engine would keep the car's balance; yet would keep the great looks of the Solstice.

I might have looked seriously at an RX-8, except for that pesky styling factor.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I test drove the new Miata automatic yesterday.

Wow! has engineering caught up with convenience!

6 speeds, butter smooth, auto, paddle shift, stick shift.

The engine has all the power needed to make the auto fun to drive.

Why didnt I like it?

I dont like paddle shifting - the stick (bump it forward or back to up or down shift - or bump it right for full auto) is very nice, though.

I am sorry - the car is now too refined. I hope the Solstice tries to find that which the Miata has lost.

The Miata has become a less costly version of an Audi.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
skyhigh said:
I haven't seen a single Solstice just sitting on anyone's showroom,
If GM would actually ship a few you might.... ;)

Many Mazda dealers are on their 3rd MX-5 allocation.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I wonder if a lot of potential buyers are still waiting to get a good look at and drive in a Solstice before makign a decision. That could leave Miata sales a little sluggish.

LBJay, you are probably the most in tune with the MX-5 on this forum. Have you seen any indication that NC MX-5's have been slow to sell? I haven't, but I also have not followed them as closely as the Sol.

It's not hard to find some anecdotal evidence on anything. I bet we could find a dealer that had extra Solstice allocation too, but anecdotal evidence does not necessary tell the whole truth.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Have you seen any indication that NC MX-5's have been slow to sell?
No real info one way or the other.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm going to drive one this weekend because although the Sol is more attractive, the $&%hole dealers, and lack of any sensible logistics control for pontiac have made me so mad I'm just about to the point of giving up on the Solstice. It just is not worth it for an untested car, in its first year of production, and made in America - the three don'ts when buying an automobile. Oh and by the way, a car I have not even driven yet and won't until my order comes in - if it ever does get "picked up". Pontiac may just be the best Mazda Saleman out there. Get everyone hyped for a convertable roadster and then jerk you around. Call it a rebound purchase. Get dumped by a beautiful pontiac marry a so-so Mazda.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Well if the rumors of limited production are true then it seems that GM is doing everything in it's power to help get Miata sells up. Hard To Get is not exactly what I call a strong selling point. People don't like waiting. This forum has made that quite clear. :)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
LBJay said:
No real info one way or the other.
Thanks. We'll just have to wait and see if a big national supply builds up. If dealers start overflowing with them, I am sure some news agency will pick up on it, or Pontiac will brag. I doubt that will happen however, With 15 years worth of Miata enthusiasts, I am sure they will be able to sell the NC. It may not attract people for it's looks as much as the Sol does, but it is still an excellent roadster for the price.

·
2,574 Posts
skyhigh said:

Why is it necessary to find that a laugh out loud situation? "LOL Miata MX-5 isn't doing that well" I don't understand the resentment for a vehicle that in many ways was a model for the Solstice!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
deepsol06 said:
I'm going to drive one this weekend because although the Sol is more attractive, the $&%hole dealers, and lack of any sensible logistics control for pontiac have made me so mad I'm just about to the point of giving up on the Solstice. It just is not worth it for an untested car, in its first year of production, and made in America - the three don'ts when buying an automobile. Oh and by the way, a car I have not even driven yet and won't until my order comes in - if it ever does get "picked up". Pontiac may just be the best Mazda Saleman out there. Get everyone hyped for a convertable roadster and then jerk you around. Call it a rebound purchase. Get dumped by a beautiful pontiac marry a so-so Mazda.
I would look at the crossfire instead of the miata.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just think it's funny that they had a mud slinging campaign against the solstice, saying what the Miata has and can do that the Solstice doesn't and can't, but Now they can't sell any of them at sticker, but at $3k off, while you can't even find a Solstice that isn't already sold. Sorry if I offended you with what I thought was pretty funny.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
deepsol06 said:
...and made in America - the three don'ts when buying an automobile.
:cuss: I am sick and tired of seeing 'Made in America' used as an insult. I don't know what you do for a living - but his is just plain bull$hit.

I don't work in the auto industry, and can see plenty of faults - but there are plenty of problems with a lot of domestic industries and professions, but people don't feel the need to insult them at every turn.

There are ample cases that I can point to where people, right here on this forum, have had terrible experiances with Hondas, Toyotas, Jaguars...

:rant:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
MAKsys said:
:cuss: I am sick and tired of seeing 'Made in America' used as an insult. I don't know what you do for a living - but his is just plain bull$hit.
:rant:
He must think all those Civics, Camry's, Accords, Legacy's, Tundra's, Ridgleines, Titans, and any number of other import branded vehicles made in America is junk too. :rolleyes:

Don't get too upset. It is just the same old mis-information. Quality and reliability studies the last few years have consistently shown that domestic automakers are building vehicles just as good as the foreign branded competition. JD Powers most recent 3 year reliability study (of 2002 vehicles in 2005) had GM vehciles ranking as most reliable in 9 of 19 categories. That is an awful lot of "most reliable in class" vehicles for one automaker. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
But that's OK. GM may not be producing any cars if what I think may happen, happens. (Some people may be waiting quite awhile longer for their Solstice).

GM to union: Take cuts or else?
NEW YORK (Reuters) - General Motors Corp. wants auto workers to agree to cuts in its $5.6 billion annual U.S. healthcare costs in the next few days, or GM could cut them unilaterally, the Wall Street Journal reported Friday, citing people familiar with the matter.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts