Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 GXP with a MagnaFlow cat back, GMPP Turbo Upgrade, and a K&N CAI. I'm looking to get a little more HP without breaking the bank ($700 or less). Am I completely tapped out @ this price limit or is there more that I can do? Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Catless down pipe. Costs around 300$ and nets a good 15hp easy.

Boom done.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
If you are willing to tune and have Ethanol available an E46 Blend tune is nice. Otherwise, you can probably get 10hp and 25 ftlbs of TQ with 91 octane vendor tune on your GMMP tune.

The handling stuff is fun too.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you are willing to tune and have Ethanol available an E46 Blend tune is nice. Otherwise, you can probably get 10hp and 25 ftlbs of TQ with 91 octane vendor tune on your GMMP tune.

The handling stuff is fun too.
For 700$ he could do both catless dp and tune

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would get the tune and if your not worried about emissions then a catless downpipe. You can get a Hi-flo cat as the difference from that to catless is not much except audible.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
40rty I think you just answered my question--How will a catless effect my emissions? I live in N.Y. & they're pretty tough on that stuff.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
40rty I think you just answered my question--How will a catless effect my emissions? I live in N.Y. & they're pretty tough on that stuff.
Do they do a sniffer test, also will set a rear O2 code so 2 reason for a failure.

A high flow cat will not cause you issues. Just put the bung extender on and the rear O2 won't have a problem. Think you will enjoy the bump in performance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Get the Trifecta custom tune. With a Solo Performance Mach exhaust and the Solo hi-flow cat, it allowed me to push a little more boost in the tune. Also, a larger, more efficient intercooler wouldn't hurt along with upgraded intercooler pipes. You probably wouldn't see much gain with the intercooler and pipes but you wouldn't see as much power reduction in hot summer months.

Also, the Trifecta tune has the Select-A-Tune option. You can switch back and forth from the stock tune to the performance tune on the fly while driving.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Get the GM Turbocharged engine power upgrade kit part number 19212670 - This doesn't affect warranty. adds 30 hp and better yet gives you 340 ft lbs of torque. Unbelieveable. Total cost to me was just over $600. I purchased the kit and had the dealer install.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Get the GM Turbocharged engine power upgrade kit part number 19212670 - This doesn't affect warranty. adds 30 hp and better yet gives you 340 ft lbs of torque. Unbelieveable. Total cost to me was just over $600. I purchased the kit and had the dealer install.
Sort of a waste of $600 for the OP don't you think? Sure a dealer would take his money and send him out the door, wallet would be lighter so in theory car would be quicker.

I have a 2007 GXP with a MagnaFlow cat back, GMPP Turbo Upgrade, and a K&N CAI. I'm looking to get a little more HP without breaking the bank ($700 or less). Am I completely tapped out @ this price limit or is there more that I can do? Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sort of a waste of $600 for the OP don't you think? Sure a dealer would take his money and send him out the door, wallet would be lighter so in theory car would be quicker.
Pretty harsh, dude! Funny, but harsh. Haha! :lol:

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Pretty harsh, dude! Funny, but harsh. Haha! :lol:
Failed tact class and the remedial summer school class even got lost in the Tact for Dummies book, but did pass fundamental reading class ;)

A high flow cat would be what I would buy if I was in your spot. Not sure what tire you are running but a better tire will help put a smile on your face :yesnod: If you can't put the power to the ground it's not useful power.

NY does sniffer testing?

An aftermarket tune might be able to turn off the rear O2 if NY only does visual tests without sniffer test, then you could run a catless down pipe. If it's turned off and they scan the car it should not show up as a failed test. But something to talk to the tuner you use about to make sure before you take the leap.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I will definitely talk to someone 1st. Emissions can be a nightmare here in NY. As far as a sniffer test I'm not sure. Pretty much whatever California does, as far as emissions, we do here. I'm running the OEM tires right now.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Tires are a good idea! Also, with tuning you can ignore the rear O2 sensor and not set an engine light as mentioned by I1ULUZ - not sure about all the sniffing in NY - glad they don't do that around here...

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
Im confused. Sorry.

I would think that people who have been on the boards for a few years would know that if the car has the factory tune NOTHING you do to it will gain any power or torque.

The factory tune is designed to product a garanteed 260 ft pounds of torque. Generally that results in 260 HP at the flywheel but not in every case.

The only aftermarket hardware that is proven to have the capability to add torque / HP is a high flow cat.

There is ample evidence that the factory intake and exhause are not a limiting factor until you get above ~350HP.

The CAI adds noise but no power.

Charge tubes potentially increase flow rates by reducing turbulence at higher flow rates. The end result is that after market charge tubes while not producing any additional power do delay the onset of the power drop off with higher flow rates (RPMs).

Unless you have a the GMPP tune or an after market tune, the engine management system will "learn down" to the preset 260 ft pounts / 260 HP power levels.

WITH a tune, the high flow cat can add 16 - 18 HP. Smoother charge tubes will allow you to make the peak power longer. The rest is all eye candy or nice to have.:thumbs:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After talking to my trusted dealership service department it appears that I will be good to go emissions-wise if I get a high flow cat. Now what I need help with is finding a "trusted" place to purchase one. Any suggestions, based on your personal experience, would be GREAT! Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
From the original post:
I have a 2007 GXP with a MagnaFlow cat back, GMPP Turbo Upgrade
I interpret this as though you have the GMPP performance tune. I have a Solo high flow cat that has passed NY State inspection.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From the original post:

I interpret this as though you have the GMPP performance tune. I have a Solo high flow cat that has passed NY State inspection.
Yup, that's the one that I have (GMPP). If you don't mind me asking, TGC... Where did you get it? How much did it run you? Install price as well? Thank you!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
After talking to my trusted dealership service department it appears that I will be good to go emissions-wise if I get a high flow cat. Now what I need help with is finding a "trusted" place to purchase one. Any suggestions, based on your personal experience, would be GREAT! Thanks.
Solo Performance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts