Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this my first post on these forums.

I'm looking to buy a 2006 black solstice with 22000 miles. The listing price was 16k I got him down to 13k. I'm still considering whether or not to buy.

Please post feedback. Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
the general understanding is that if you are not obsessed with going fast, then the one your getting is a great car to take around town.

If you are very serious about go-fast mods, particularly in a straight line, expect to spend another 6000 to either modify the one you picked out or get a GXP.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
manual or auto trans?

2006 did not have traction control or electronic stability control. 2006 did not have a button on the door for lock/unlock, so you have to use the key fob to lock it up. The 2006 was rated at 177 horsepower versus 173 for the later years. 2006 manual transmission had a larger gap between 2nd and 3rd gears that the following years. No turbo engines in the 2006 year.

I'm sure there are a few other differences, but I'm doing this off the top of my head. :sorry:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
Thanks for the feed back!

Anything else?

You think it's a good buy?
You are the only one that can really answer that. The $13k is about what I would expect to pay for a 2006 NA, pretty much regardless of the mileage as long as it is in good shape.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It looks mint!

And it's a manual trans btw.
Here are a few things for you to check out.

Look under the car for damage caused by improper lifting of the vehicle at the jack points. The lifting points are very small and if improperly jacked while it is in a shop/dealer it could have damage under the vehicle. (The owner’s manual will show a diagram with the proper lift points)

If the OEM catalytic converter on the car has not already been warranted/replaced by a dealer it will plug up on you sooner or later. Good news – GM extended the warranty on the cats to 10 years or 120k miles whatever comes first.

Also check to see if the rear end/differential has already been replaced or repaired under warranty - If it has been replaced your good to go. The 06-07 models had an issue with leaking seals (factory recall) which should have been covered under warranty with either a complete new replacement differential upgrade (if you’re one of the lucky ones like us) or just a seal kit to address the problem.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
498 Posts
manual or auto trans?

2006 did not have traction control or electronic stability control. 2006 did not have a button on the door for lock/unlock, so you have to use the key fob to lock it up. The 2006 was rated at 177 horsepower versus 173 for the later years. 2006 manual transmission had a larger gap between 2nd and 3rd gears that the following years. No turbo engines in the 2006 year.

I'm sure there are a few other differences, but I'm doing this off the top of my head. :sorry:
Thought I would throw in that it's great on gas, looks great, has a manual top opening/closing, uses regular unleaded gas, not so great for people over 6'3" tall, the trunk space requires you to be creative when packing even with the top up, the original Goodyear RSA tires suck in the rain (ok dry too), it's a summer car (comes with summer tires) but can be driven in the snow with the proper tires, in case you hadn't noticed it's a two seater, the cup-holder by the passenger knees is prone to sticking or breaking, the cup-holder between the seat by the "waterfall" is awkward to get at, but the main reason to get it is it handles like it's on rails and is fun to drive.

You failed to mention a few important factors: what colour the car, whether the owner is the original owner, any mods done, been in an accident (get a car fax), was it stored for the winter, is the owner a member of this forum or another similar site, etc?

You said earlier that it's in mint condition so I wouldn't have a problem jumping at it for that $$$. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Forgot to mention that should you buy it you will develop this condition called "Permagrin". :thumbs:

·
Registered
220 Posts
not exactly the best gas saver, i have a 2006 sol na and have had it to 13mpg with my driving around town like a boss :cool: but on average i am getting around 22 city and roughly 29 highway

i buy gas everyday because i love riding around and getting thumbs up and is a great attention getter!

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
You will NEVER regret buying that Sol!! Mine is a 2007 NA, she gets between 32 and 36 mpg on the highway and usually around 28 in town. But I didn't buy her for the gas mileage - I bought her for her beautiful looks. I get comments/compliments every time I drive her, which is pretty much every day. Packing the trunk really isn't a problem - just keep plenty of Walmart bags on hand. We've traveled from Tennessee to Wyoming, South Dakota, Colorado, Florida and the Alabama coast and just used the Walmart bags. We get some mighty odd looks when we check into nice motels with Walmart bags hanging on our arms, but who cares?? I wanted a sexy, gorgeous convertible sportscar, not a vehicle with lots of room or I would have bought a nice SUV. (boring) :yawn:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts