Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
This "project" is turning out to be harder then finding rims!! I can find a sub, but the the amps I find will be overdriven by the speakers. I find speakers, then the sub will overdrive the amp. I find an amp, and then I can't find speakers or a sub.....

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
question.... for the door speakers,I put in some good poineers, but did not put the back sealing foam cups or the foam rings around the speaker to seal to the door panel. how much difference does it make?? I have them but they didnt arive intime for when I had time to install the speakers. is it worth the pain to pull it all apart to install them? so any body just install the foam backseals and notice much more bass? mine sound great but lacking some lowend.
I would imagine eventually you will get some annoying vibrating going on. That foam stops things from vibrating and coming lose as I understand it...but I'm new and uneducated in the whole sound area.......

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I've had to settle for 4th and 5th choices because there just isnt anything left out there at this point. So amp will be overkill, but....I can use it in my Charger and put something smaller in the Sol... I've learned a ton and had to return several items as things just didn't match early on when I really didn't know what I was doing or looking at. This has been a major learning experience and I'm ready to move on from it to the next phase. However, I have another last question. I have an amp that runs 125 watts RMS or 400 watts bridged. I will use the crossovers, either active or passive. And I will wire the back speakers, but probably through the headunit to give some fill.

My next question, which is a better choice?

Hertz MPK 130.3 Mille Pro Series 5-1/4" 2-Way Car Audio Component Speakers
-or-
Infinity Kappa Perfect 500 5-1/4” Component Speaker System

Now these are 5 1/4", I'm still looking for a possible 6" instead, but it's not looking too likely.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
This thread has had a lot of "jockeying" back and fourth and around the bend. Mostly because I didn't want to spend more then $800. But, when I found out that most of the less expensive, quality items were out of stock everywhere, and I want to do several things that involved removing some of the interior, I had to increase my budget.....and the wattage. I originally figured easy peasy, 200 watt amp, new sub, some new speakers and voila. Yeah....not. Considering our amps put out about 25 watts max for the speakers and 200 for the sub, this made up my mind that I was going to spend a lot more money. I've finally found the amp, it's a 6 channel, 1200 watt with DSP. No...not the Kenwood that I originally wanted because as I learned and read kwil's comments, I figured out that while 75 watts was awesome for the doors and pillars, 200 was anemic for the sub. The original sub that I wanted is now out of stock everywhere...even ebay...a Pioneer GM-DX975 4 channel that would have been more then enough for what I wanted to do...and would have fit my budget. However, as anyone that's remodeled their home knows, once what you want isn't available (and at this point they're saying mid October for it!!), you start looking at what's "in stock". And nothing under $600 came close to this amp. So, if I'm spending $600, time to look at what's needed instead of spaghetti stringing 3 amps together with nowhere to put them. So I've made my choice on amps and I'm keeping an 8" sub for now. It's got a 90 day return so if it's no-good...it goes back. My only item that I'm struggling with is the door speakers and pillars. I"ve found several and need some help!!! Here are the ones I've found and my amps ratings:

• 6-channel car amplifier with digital signal processing
  • 125 watts RMS x 6 at 4 ohms (200 watts RMS x 6 at 2 ohms)
  • 400 watts RMS x 3 bridged at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
  • all controls and adjustments made with DSP app on your laptop (PC or Mac) via USB connection
  • optional AC-BT25 Bluetooth adapter available
  • variable high- and low-pass filters (20-20,000 Hz, 12 or 24 dB/octave)
  • subsonic filter at 32 Hz
Here's the speakers that I'm thinking. Hope someone can tell me what will sound the best cruising at 75mph with the top down!!

PRO Morel Tempo Ultra 502 Component 2-Way
  • handles up to 100 watts RMS (250 watts peak power)
  • frequency response: 65-22,000 Hz

ALPINE X-S65C 6.5" TYPE-X Component Speakers
  • handles up to 120 watts RMS (330 watts peak power)
  • frequency range: 55-50,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 89 dB

• Peak: 400 watts per pair / 200 watts each
  • RMS: 200 watts per pair / 100 watts each
INFINITY KAPPA PERFECT 5.1 5.25" 400W COMPONENT SPEAKERS
  • Power Handling, RMS: 100 Watts
  • Power Handling, Peak: 400 Watts
  • Frequency Response (±3dB): 80Hz - 23kHz
  • Sensitivity: 89dB

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've had to settle for 4th and 5th choices because there just isnt anything left out there at this point. So amp will be overkill, but....I can use it in my Charger and put something smaller in the Sol... I've learned a ton and had to return several items as things just didn't match early on when I really didn't know what I was doing or looking at. This has been a major learning experience and I'm ready to move on from it to the next phase. However, I have another last question. I have an amp that runs 125 watts RMS or 400 watts bridged. I will use the crossovers, either active or passive. And I will wire the back speakers, but probably through the headunit to give some fill.

My next question, which is a better choice?

-or-
Infinity Kappa Perfect 500 5-1/4” Component Speaker System

Now these are 5 1/4", I'm still looking for a possible 6" instead, but it's not looking too likely.
I wouldn't go with either. These are better speakers, in stock, and ever cheaper. These are fantastic speakers, and the price on these are crazy low. The same sets sell for significantly more elsewhere. I'd suggest you jump at these.

Or

Essentially the same sets, but the KR2 is a newer version. You'll love either one.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I have these annoying little rattles all over in my car. And today, while starting my stereo install, I found one. My left rear taillight is clicking when you bounce it with your fingers. So, tomorrow I will pull the taillight and put some neoprene foam over each of the posts in hopes of quieting one rattle.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts