Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, new member around here hoping to find an automatic GXP Coupe. Any tips that could help the search are appreciated.

Little backstory, I have had my mindset on a GXP Coupe since I saw the Coupe at the Detroit auto show in '09 as a senior in high school. Unfortunately was kinda out of my price range at the time. Now that I am done college and have a full time job I'm finally in the market for my dream car. I have been following this forum for years and have loved the constant updates in the "Looking for a Coupe" thread as it gives me hope one will show up that meets my criteria. Unfortunately, I just missed that last Brazen Coupe as someone put an offer in while I was trying to get my financials worked out. But no that I'm all set on that front I'm willing to put decent money down for the right car.

So here's what I'm looking for:

Trim: GXP Coupe
Colors: Anything other than White, Black, Silver, Grey.
Transmission: Auto
Accessories: A/C is a must, soft top is preferable, monsoon system is nice but not necessary, GM performance upgrade is a huge plus!!!
Mods: No major modifications
Location: Anywhere in the U.S.A. and will drive it home (haven't waited 7 years to not have a nice road trip when I finally get it)
Price: $25,000-30,000 depending on what criteria it meets

Thanks for any help or if your interested in selling please PM me

·
Premium Member
4,906 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the post sirwm, unfortunately color is probably the most important thing to me. Just never liked black, grey, silver or white cars. I did pursue the Brazen coupe post #1090 (fit all my criteria perfectly) but unfortunately someone else has already given him a deposit for it. I will continue keeping an eye on that thread though. I have been following that thread anonymously for a year and greatly appreciate the time and effort you and others have put into keeping it updated

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Welcome aznemjo. Well you're in luck....kind of. Within the next 4 to six weeks is when we should start seeing an increase in people selling their sports car and the LFCN2 thread is the one to keep an eye on.

Prices are all over the map, you can find high-mileage examples with high-mileage prices, and vice-a-versa (though those are more the exception than the rule). If I had to choose an average price I'd say GXPs are averaging closer to $30-35. Also, I'd say you're in the ballpark price wise.

BTW, you didn't mention choice of transmission but if you're looking for a manual just know that approximately 1 out of 3 transmissions were manuals. So you may want to edit your first post to let us know what transmission you want.

In addition, the GMPP tune is still available and there is now a pigtail available making it truly plug and play. Those of us that bought the GMPP before the pigtail was available had it spliced into our wiring harness, which can cause problems if not soldered.

Also, keep bumping this thread up to let us know you're still interested, otherwise we'll stop looking. Because occasionally a new member will come on and say they are looking for a car, and then never post again. And also let us know if you find one (with VIN & pics).

Good luck on your search, they really are cool cars in spite of what others may consider faults.

Colorwise;
Units, Percent of Total Coupes, Paint Code & Distribution
23 “Fresh” Hydro 2% Blue Paint Code 22U (USA22/CAN1/MEX0)
30 “Mean” Yellow 2.6% Paint Code 34U (USA23/CAN3/MEX4)
32 “Deep” Blue 2.8% Paint Code 48U (USA28/CAN1/MEX3)
49 “Sly” Steel Gray 4.25% Paint Code 75U (USA41/CAN8/MEX0)
50 “Brazen” Orange Metallic 4.35% Paint Code 28U (USA32/CAN7/MEX11)
72 “Pure” White 6.2% Paint Code 50U (USA58/CAN2/MEX12)
130 “Aggressive” 11.3% Paint Code 74U (USA110/CAN6/MEX14)
196 “Cool” Silver 17% Paint Code 67U (USA139/CAN14/MEX43)
204 “Wicked” Ruby Red Metallic 17.7% Paint Code 79U (USA179/CAN9/MEX16)
366 “Mysterious” Black 31.8% Paint Code 41U (USA324/CAN27/MEX15)

Reference this thread for coupe stats.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f114/comprehensive-solstice-coupe-production-numbers-data-61972/

·
Registered
1 Posts
Colorwise;
Units, Percent of Total Coupes, Paint Code & Distribution
23 “Fresh” Hydro 2% Blue Paint Code 22U (USA22/CAN1/MEX0)
30 “Mean” Yellow 2.6% Paint Code 34U (USA23/CAN3/MEX4)
32 “Deep” Blue 2.8% Paint Code 48U (USA28/CAN1/MEX3)
49 “Sly” Steel Gray 4.25% Paint Code 75U (USA41/CAN8/MEX0)
50 “Brazen” Orange Metallic 4.35% Paint Code 28U (USA32/CAN7/MEX11)
72 “Pure” White 6.2% Paint Code 50U (USA58/CAN2/MEX12)
130 “Aggressive” 11.3% Paint Code 74U (USA110/CAN6/MEX14)
196 “Cool” Silver 17% Paint Code 67U (USA139/CAN14/MEX43)
204 “Wicked” Ruby Red Metallic 17.7% Paint Code 79U (USA179/CAN9/MEX16)
366 “Mysterious” Black 31.8% Paint Code 41U (USA324/CAN27/MEX15)

Reference this thread for coupe stats.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f114/comprehensive-solstice-coupe-production-numbers-data-61972/
Chop:

I believe you just quoted only the colors of the sequentially-vin'd coupes. If you scroll down to the very bottom of the "Solstice Stats FINAL" list, they have the color breakdown of ALL 1,266 coupes:

1 “Santiago” Teal Metallic (Specific to Canadian Market - Color new for 2010)
26 “Fresh” Hydro - Blue Paint Code 22U (USA 25 inc. 1 Heritage Ed. /CAN 1/MEX 0) 2%
37 “Mean” Yellow - Paint Code 34U (USA 29/CAN 4/MEX 4) 3%
39 “Deep” Blue - Paint Code 48U (USA 35/CAN 1/MEX 3) 3%
58 “Brazen” Orange Metallic - Paint Code 28U (USA 35/CAN 8/MEX 15) 4%
58 “Sly” Steel Gray - Paint Code 75U (USA 50/CAN 8/MEX 0) 4%
77 “Pure” White - Paint Code 50U (USA 63 inc. 1 Heritage Ed. /CAN 2/MEX 12) 6%
148 “Aggressive” - Paint Code 74U (USA 126/CAN 8/MEX 14) 12%
213 “Cool” Silver - Paint Code 67U (USA 154/CAN 16/MEX 43) 17%
221 “Wicked” Ruby Red Metallic - Paint Code 79U (USA 195/CAN 10/MEX 16) 18%
388 “Mysterious” Black - Paint Code 41U (USA 345/CAN 28/MEX 15) 31%

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Although you'd said "anywhere in the USA", you'd be well advised to consider Canadian cars as well. Not difficult to get them across the border and the current exchange rates means there are bargains to be had up here for U.S. buyers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it. I have updated my list to include an auto transmission. ChopTop I didn't realize that you could still get the GMPP upgrade but sure enough after reading your post I did a quick search and found one at this site 19212670 Performance Turbocharger Upgrade Kit for Cobalt, Solstice, Sky and HHR at GM Performance Motor & Parts . So do you normally order these at the dealer or buy on your own and the dealer installs?

I will have to keep eye on the hemmings site, seems they have a decent selection, just need one to show up with the right colors and trim and price. But I'm glad to hear that maybe in coming month-month and a half more might show up.

Frozen Tundra - I don't have anything against Canadian cars, in fact I'm originally from Canada. I just thought that I would have to pay an enormous import tax. Do you know if there is such a thing?

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
So do you normally order these at the dealer or buy on your own and the dealer installs?
You can go (or call) to your local GM dealerships and check GMPP prices, but the online parts places are generally cheaper. I bought mine from Crate Engine Depot several years ago, and then took it to a dealer for installation. I also believe CED is the only place you can buy the harness (pigtail) adapter, and trust you want the harness adapter.

CED GMMP $510.00
CED Harness Adapter (Pigtail) $102.95
CED GMMP + Harness adapter (Pigtail) $612.95
Performance Enhancement Parts

Then figure $150 + plus for dealership installation, but try and find a dealership that has experience installing the GMPP. But as has already been said aftermarket tunes are available for more performance. It's also possible to have both the GMPP tune, and the Trifecta tune, users can switch between tunes using the cruise control.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks ChopTop, glad to know I don't have to be picky about it having the upgrade then.

Does anyone know anything about this "Peter" guy? He currently has 3 postings on cars.com but I'm kinda suspicious about this guy. I mean 2 of his are priced at $50,000!!! But he has a wicked priced at $32,500? Multiple cars, one erroneous vin (on the aggressive red one), inconsistent and crazy high prices? I don't know if I should bother pursuing the wicked, something feels off.

·
Premium Member
4,906 Posts
Thanks ChopTop, glad to know I don't have to be picky about it having the upgrade then.

Does anyone know anything about this "Peter" guy? He currently has 3 postings on cars.com but I'm kinda suspicious about this guy. I mean 2 of his are priced at $50,000!!! But he has a wicked priced at $32,500? Multiple cars, one erroneous vin (on the aggressive red one), inconsistent and crazy high prices? I don't know if I should bother pursuing the wicked, something feels off.
He has been on the forum off & on. Yes, his prices have been observed to be consistently on the high side.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Another place called Napoli Classics has also been buying and selling coupes: Classic Cars For Sale | Napoli Classic Cars. But they don't currently have any colors you want, plus their prices are definitely retail. You might also want to visit Mecum's, and Barrett Jackson auction sites, they sometimes offer coupes. Almost forgot, Ebay is another place to watch, or have an alert set up.

The Peter guy was advertising he bought coupes in order to finance a Corvette purchase. But he's been advertising his cars for a couple years now so I would of thought he picked up a Corvette by now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll add those 3 places to my list of places to keep checking.

I'll have to do more research on Peter's offering, the $32,500 for the wicked gxp is way more reasonable than his other 2 offerings. Maybe a Carfax will shed some light on things but something seems odd about cars being on the market for that long especially the $32,500 one since its relatively reasonably priced.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
I'll add those 3 places to my list of places to keep checking.

I'll have to do more research on Peter's offering, the $32,500 for the wicked gxp is way more reasonable than his other 2 offerings. Maybe a Carfax will shed some light on things but something seems odd about cars being on the market for that long especially the $32,500 one since its relatively reasonably priced.
Personally, I think all three are overpriced. My opinion only.

The red and yellow are both pre-production coupes. The red one was built 11/24/2008. The yellow was built 1/9/2009, and the color is wrong (or maybe the pics are off. If the color is as shown, I suspect a repaint). Check the CarFax closely and google the heck out of the VIN#. The Wicked coupe was built 6/9/2009 and the pricing is almost in the realm of what the rest of the unsold market is asking.

:dunno:

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Frozen Tundra - I don't have anything against Canadian cars, in fact I'm originally from Canada. I just thought that I would have to pay an enormous import tax. Do you know if there is such a thing?
So far as I know, it's a relatively low cost exercise ( a few hundred bucks). We're currently seeing thousands of cars weekly being purchased at the dealer auctions (Adesa here) and heading south.

This website tells you something about it: Importing from Canada – ezbordercrossing.com

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Personally, I think all three are overpriced. My opinion only.

The red and yellow are both pre-production coupes. The red one was built 11/24/2008. The yellow was built 1/9/2009, and the color is wrong (or maybe the pics are off. If the color is as shown, I suspect a repaint). Check the CarFax closely and google the heck out of the VIN#. The Wicked coupe was built 6/9/2009 and the pricing is almost in the realm of what the rest of the unsold market is asking.

:dunno:

I agree they are all overpriced. I was thinking maybe I'd be able to talk him down from the $32,500 one to the high 20's but they all have been on the market so long I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon so I would rather see if something else comes up.

And thanks for the site Frozen Tundra, it helped clear up the whole import thing a lot. I would still rather not deal with it and just buy in the USA but if the perfect car comes up in Canada now I know I can make it work.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
FWIW, I asked awhile ago if it was possible switch performance tunes. In retrospect what I should have asked is; Is it possible to SWITCH between performance tunes.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/possible-switch-performance-tunes-85193/

The reason I choose the GMPP was to keep my warranty intact. I'm thinking GM tuned the 2.0 to 8/10s of its performance capacity in order to avoid dealing with warranty claims. But if I had to choose with a car out of warranty I'd 'probably" go aftermarket. But as has been said, aftermarket tune support appears to be lacking which goes hand in hand w/a orphan model/platform/brand.

But now we're putting the horse before the cart.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cart_before_the_horse

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys, not sure what one I would want to get yet. First I need a car to put it on LOL

1 - 20 of 31 Posts