Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking for a mechanic in lower Michigan that might be able to diagnose our 2007 GXP turbo issue. It does not always engage!

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Lower Michigan is kind of vague. (I grew up in the U.P. so everything below the bridge is "lower" to me!) Where about are you at?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are in Battle Creek, Mi but willing to go anywhere in lower Michigan if it is a good mechanic! I worked in Negaunee for a couple of years!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Small world I also worked at the old Marquette county airport in Negaunee for about a year.

I have an old Pontiac dealer I trust, but they are in Taylor MI about 2 1/2 hours from you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would travel to Taylor if you can provide his information. It is a small world I worked at the MSP post there....

·
Registered
137 Posts
What is your issue? "It does not always engage" What doesn't engage?

(Quite a few Michigan folks here. A few GM employees too. Lots of help to be had.)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The turbo works fine then all of a sudden it will not engage for several days. I have done hard resets several times and it helps for a day or so then will engage intermittently.

·
Registered
137 Posts
So "engaging" isn't normally a term I'd use to describe turbo performance. What's it doing, or not doing? No boost? Slow? Is the check engine light on (now or intermittently)? Any noises or other symptoms when this happens?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No boost, no other noises, engine light comes on once in a while. When I do the hard reset it clears it. I have had the code read but do not remember what it was.

·
Super Moderator
8,182 Posts
No boost, no other noises, engine light comes on once in a while. When I do the hard reset it clears it. I have had the code read but do not remember what it was.
Knowng the code is pretty critical to getting a diagnosis. It could be something quite simple. If you post the code someone here is likely to know what is going on, and could save a trip to the mechanic.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
As John said, you might be able to take care of this yourself. Code readers are cheap now, or you could always get it read at an auto parts store.

And to continue the thread "wandering" - you said you "worked" at an MSP post. Were you a trooper? My father retired as a Lt. in Sault Ste. Marie.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok we are getting out of storage tomorrow so I will get the code when if does it again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As John said, you might be able to take care of this yourself. Code readers are cheap now, or you could always get it read at an auto parts store.

And to continue the thread "wandering" - you said you "worked" at an MSP post. Were you a trooper? My father retired as a Lt. in Sault Ste. Marie.
Yes I am a Trooper working out of the Marshall post right now, retire in 7 days!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

What kind of scanner should I buy? I have seen them used but never bought one..l

·
Registered
14 Posts
Used to be a lot of good car parts stores would come out and read your code for you. Don't know if they still do that?

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
I can't say that I could recommend a particular brand or model of code reader. I wouldn't go for the cheapest available but I wouldn't spend the top dollar either.

As KK above said, many car part stores will read the code for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok got the codes read first one is P0236, turbo charger/supercharger boost sensor A circuit range/performance. Second one P0101, mass or volume airflow sensor A circuit range/performance.

There were two pending codes, first one was P2178, System too rich off idle bank 1.
‘the second one was again P0101.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
So sounds like your MAF (in the intake itself) sensor is bad. Is the car tuned? If so, is it a GMPP tune or are you using the 3BAR MAP sensors (1 bolt holds the sensor in on the driver's side intercooler pipe)? If so, are the wires down from the sensor crimped or soldered? If they're crimped, you'll have to solder the wires together and see if that fixes the code. There's also another MAP up on the intake manifold you'll have to do the same thing with..... Next question, do you have the old radiator style screw down clamps on the turbo hoses (from turbo to intercooler (IC) on the passenger side and from IC to throttle body on the driver's side)?? If so, those could be coming loose. If you have the t-style clamps, it's unlikely. Here's a thread with some other links to threads for you to read.... p0101 threads

Reactions: WickedMike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have not had it tuned, no idea if previous owner did anything how would I know if it has been?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
See my post above. Look at the MAP sensor in the IC piping on the drivers side. If it's held in by 1 bolt, you're definitely tuned. But if there's 2 bolts holding it in, you could still be tuned, it's just harder to tell.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts