Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for the offer. I have to see if mine can be welded. And i know i need a new cushion too...

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If it's possible to weld it, I could do that too.....
Thanks!!! I will be pulling it out a week from this Monday after our next to last cruise. I'll know then what has to be done.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
How to I remove the bottom seating surface from the back of seat? This is what I will need to do. I've looked over the instructions and don't see anywhere in there where it states how to do this.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Pulled the seat. The frame appears intact, however, it appears to have a sheet of plywood covered by a sweatshirt and the 2x4 is still toward the back of the seat. I need to know how to separate the back from the seating surface and take the leather off of the seating surface....anyone?

·
Super Moderator
7,632 Posts
At the pivot point there may or may not be a nut - my memory is a bit fuzzy - if there is, remove it, then pry out the part of the back that pivots around the pin. It takes a bit of force.

The leather is clipped around the bottom, and there are a couple of Christmas tree pins in one or the other of them. Driver's seats with the power lift are different from non-lift and passenger's seats (which are the same). I remember it seeming fairly obvious.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks John...I figured out how to get the leather off to look at it and I can't see anything broken.

This is odd. The dealer told me it was busted and that there was a 2x4 in there. There is no 2x4 from what I can tell. There is a piece of plywood, wrapped in a sweatshirt type material, ut I can't find any broken pieces. At least not on the seat bottom. His exact words to me were, "he must've been a larger fella because the frame is broken and I can't warranty it." That was about 5 years ago. I just never took it apart to inspect it. But I see no broken parts to the seat frame.

m

·
Super Moderator
7,632 Posts
Did you remove the plywood and sit on the seat?

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Did you remove the plywood and sit on the seat?
Not yet. I wanted to see figure out where it was broken first, but that's failed. Removing it is today's project.

·
Super Moderator
7,632 Posts
Not yet. I wanted to see figure out where it was broken first, but that's failed. Removing it is today's project.
"Broken" could be interpreted as sagging seat foam, and it may not even be sagging. The concave shape of our seats is not what a lot of people are used to.
That said, my '08 was originally driven by a rather large person and the seat foam was pretty collapsed when I got it.

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
Thanks John...I figured out how to get the leather off to look at it and I can't see anything broken.

This is odd. The dealer told me it was busted and that there was a 2x4 in there. There is no 2x4 from what I can tell. There is a piece of plywood, wrapped in a sweatshirt type material, ut I can't find any broken pieces. At least not on the seat bottom. His exact words to me were, "he must've been a larger fella because the frame is broken and I can't warranty it." That was about 5 years ago. I just never took it apart to inspect it. But I see no broken parts to the seat frame.

m View attachment 109786
It looks like the previous owner did what I did. My seat bottom had sunken down over the years and I took the seat out and added some extra foam padding exactly where he added the plywood. I did not have to seperate the seat back from the bottom though. I just removed the whole seat, turned it upside down, and put the extra foam in under the springs. It plumped the seat bottom up nicely.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Pulled the seat. The frame appears intact, however, it appears to have a sheet of plywood covered by a sweatshirt and the 2x4 is still toward the back of the seat. I need to know how to separate the back from the seating surface and take the leather off of the seating surface....anyone?
You don't have to remove the back to get to the bottom frame. Just remove the bottom leather and then the cushion/foam just lifts off. See the file I attached in post 14 (Looking for a seat frame...)

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Got the seat apart and there is no broken frame like I was told. However, due to GMs incredibly poor design, the foam is completely shot. They put zero reinforcement along the left side of the seat where the most pressure will come from getting in and out. For those that don't know, it's literally a 1/2" wide bar that runs from the front to the back of the seat causing the foam to erode with each and every time you get in and out of the car. Pathetically designed.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Seat reinforced and a bit of new foam installed. Ordered a new cushion for future since mine is so worn from the inept GM engineers that designed it.

Reactions: joybill44
21 - 36 of 36 Posts