Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi eveyone, I'm looking for some insight on the GXP. I had Vin# 1146 NA Solstice but lost it to an accedent last month and just can't think of another car I would like to buy. So I found a black 2009 at a dealer with only 2300 miles on it for $23000.
WIth the 2006 I ran into the tipical issues, Cam senser, Cat, Rearend leak, New rag top but other than that I loved the car. You just cant beat the styling !!!
So my concerns are the cost amd difficulty of keeping the GXP in good running condition. I am very handy (old school machanic) and have a well tooled garage but have not delt with Turbo vehicles. I want a reliable car and don't want to spend big money and time keeing it running reliably.If I get the car the only thing I may do is a TUNE. Nothing more just drive it.
I would apprecieate any insight from all you owners and experts. This sight has never let me down when it came to advise while I owned my 2006.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I would say, after years studying this forum, that there's not a lot of difference in reliability between the NA and turbo cars. There have been (literally) a couple of turbo failures, and a couple of HP fuel pump failures, but very rare occurrences compared to the population. I would say 'go for it'!

Now I think you can do better than that price, but you might have to search a while for a low mileage example.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Tomato, It makes me feel better about the reliablity. I have not talked to the saleman yet but he sold me the 2006 so I will try to beat him down on the price. I'm thinking $21. What do you think? I'm going to swing by there in a couple hours. What better think to do during a week of than maybe by a GXP !!!!

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
Damn,

I agree with TS.

If anything, but for the occasional water pump failures, the turbo cars can be easier to live with as they get better mileage and unless you are putting your foot into it all the time, they can be driven in NA mode much of the time. Generally when the boost does come on its a couple of pounds to get onto the freeway or up a hill.

As to the price, you are basically getting a new car. Offer the dealer something less and see if they will negotiate but that is not a terrible price.

if they do not want to come down on price, see if you can negotiate extras like a warranty.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the great advise Rob !!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'd make them the low offer and be willing to get up and walk out if they don't take it. I've gotten my best deals on my way out of the dealership.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Go for it, a good price even if they do not come down. I bought my gxp in August with 5300 miles. I have ALL my work done professionally by people familiar witg the solstice. No problems at all in 10,000 miles. The car is a joy. But it, drive it whenever you can, have it professionally serviced, and you will smile a LOT.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
#1 Priority; GXP Manual.
#2 Low mileage.
#3 Rare color.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Sent you a pm

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I was 2 hrs to late. Some guy flew in from Michigan and bought it for $22,800.

I should not of hesitated.

I know the dealer and he is going to see what he can find for me !!!!

I'll let you all know if I get one.

Thanks everyone

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya, I'll keep looking but I'm just pissed at myself because its been stting there for months. It will be tough to find one with that low milage that was still all stock.

We will see what happens.

It just means I have to pull my 86 Monte Carlo ss out of moth balls. It has not seen the road since I bought the 2006 Solstice.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Just a sample, didn't check every site.

2009, GXP, Blk, Manual, 6,516 miles, $21,990, one-owner, Gurney, IL
Cars for Sale: 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP in Gurnee, IL 60031: Convertible Details - 370790308 - AutoTrader.com

2009, GXP, Manual, Blk, 4,515, $22,975, Delevan, WI.
Cars for Sale: 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP in DELAVAN, WI 53115: Convertible Details - 374084193 - AutoTrader.com

2009, GXP, Manual, Red, 12,700 Miles, $16,995, Strongsville, OH.
2009 Pontiac Solstice For Sale in Lansing, MI - CarGurus

2009, GXP, Manual, Red, 33,000 Miles, $18,500, Nashville, TN.

2009, GXP, Manual, Blk, 6,516 Miles, $21,990 (no pics), Gurnee, IL.

2009, GXP, Manual, Blk, 4,415 Miles, $22,975 (no pics), Elkhorn WI.

2009, GXP, Manual, Burgundy, 35,000 Miles, $17,000, Eugen, OR.
2009 Pontiac solstice for sale

2009, GXP, Manual, Red, 18,600 Miles, $22,500, Flint, MI.
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks choptop, I'm looking at the same sights and the first one on your list is already gone. I also have a GMC dealer friend of mine looking because they can get it shipped from any other chevy dealer to Mass. I don't have the time or money to travel far out of new england to look at and pick one up.

Is ther any differences between a 2008 or 2009?

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Apart from a 2009 is newer you mean? ;)

2009's deleted the rear popout cupholders (just a blank panel instead)
2009's have Bluetooth added (phone only, not audio streaming)
Some (a few later model) 2009's have the USB port on the radio for iPod/thumbdrive audio.

That's about it, as I can recall.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Apart from a 2009 is newer you mean? ;)

2009's deleted the rear popout cupholders (just a blank panel instead)
2009's have Bluetooth added (phone only, not audio streaming)
Some (a few later model) 2009's have the USB port on the radio for iPod/thumbdrive audio.

That's about it, as I can recall.
Not all '09s have Bluetooth, well mine doesn't, but it is a Coupe

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Tomato and solnut. I will let you know when I get one. I miss my 06 but can't wait to get a GXP. !!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts