Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My whim de jour is to have my coupe painted. It's 12 years old and looks it -- badly faded from sun damage. It runs fine. I am considering not repainting it Wicked (a color, I really like) but rather Envious Green. It will feel kinda sort of almost like getting a new car. Resale value is not an issue, since when I'm in the ground, I'll not give a hoot how much my heirs can sell my car for.

Comments?

·
Super Moderator
8,323 Posts
Color changes have to be done very well to avoid looking like crap, in my opinion, so they are not cheap. Beyond that, if you like the idea, go for it.

Reactions: sirwm

·
Registered
191 Posts
Have you thought about wrapping the car? Lots of colors and finishes available. The price for a reputable, high end wrap is less than an average paint job and the results can be amazing (as long as you choose good shop to do it).

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I heartily agree. I intend to get quotes from 2 of the top independent shops around. In the end, cost might make my decision for me.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Stripping the whole car for inside and out for a color change is a lot of work. What would be a good guesstimate ? 7000$ minimum ?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you thought about wrapping the car? Lots of colors and finishes available. The price for a reputable, high end wrap is less than an average paint job and the results can be amazing (as long as you choose good shop to do it).
I'll check that out.

·
Premium Member
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe 001136
114 Posts
Might be more practical to sell the existing one, add your paint budget to the proceeds, and buy one in a color you like. But you probably already thought through that, so: of course, if you see $4k-$5k value--pleasure, rarity, whatever your measure of value--in a quality, full re-paint in green, then go for it and enjoy.

(Now me I'd order up some nice classic silvery blue, or the original metallic 'Deep' used on the ragtops. And if I was going green I'd pick a nice non-metallic British racing green--maybe one of the classic Jag colors. But I'm weird that way.)

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Personally, I REALLY like the Wicked color. Even though I am an ex-pat Brit, I prefer it to the British Racing Green (-ish) Envious. So my 2c is I would stay the same colo(u)r - unless you want to go to Brazen, in which case ignore what I just said :)

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Stripping the whole car for inside and out for a color change is a lot of work. What would be a good guesstimate ? 7000$ minimum ?
sometimes you can pay that just for the outside. If the paint condition inside the car such as the trunk, the engine compartment, door jambs, etc. are not sun damaged ( they shouldn't be), going with the original color is not a bad idea. You end up with new paint that matches the interior surfaces.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ron's Coupe 2.jpg

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
177 Posts
Fortunately the Kappas all have identical chassis color, so there's a little less effort to do a complete color change job. The coupes would be a little more involved because I think they have body color chassis. I'm sure someone will confirm this.

I agree that a darker shade of green would look excellent on a coupe. Whether it be Envious, BRG or something similar (Teal Metallic: not so much:sick: Just because it's a rare color, does not make it any more attractive to me). .

I'd also consider "Lucerne Blue" with a white stripe in tribute to the 2010 heritage edition & 2nd generation Trans Am.

·
Super Moderator
16,744 Posts
Both our cars were repainted. The Green Dragon was repainted in the factory color. It was partially disassembled - mirrors, windshield, rubber etc where they needed access to the body to paint it even though it was the same color. They spent DAYS perfecting the body. I was shocked to see the amount of body work they did on the "new" car. A good, high quality professional respray will start with some disassembly and some body work so the resultant paiint job is as perfect as they can make it. With custom graphics it amounted to $5k ten years ago. For the Punisher it was a color change. They blew the car apart. The only panel not removed was the quarter panel because they are glued on and coult not be removed. They painted every surface inside and out. They made the body perfect. That initial job was $8000 with some custom grahics. Again that was 2009. If you are color changing then anticipate (demand) that they disassemble the car and perfect the body. Anything else you will not be happy with.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Coupes have the engine compartment frame in body color.

Reactions: GXP08jrf

·
Registered
584 Posts
I remember seeing a pic of an Envious Green Mule Coupe. Most gorgeous thing I've ever seen. Long since crushed into a cube many years ago...

·
Registered
157 Posts
My favourite colours for the Solstice are the Green and Blue. I ended up finding a red one to call my own, and it looks great too. But the green is the most charming one, I guess.

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
I was sorry that they discontinued green before the coupe came on the scene as I would have considered it.

There are lots of green - take a look at this page for the Chryco colours back in the days of Laugh-In.

They are supposed to have rejected this list:

Catch Me Copper
Unforseeable Fuicha
Statutory Grape
Gang Green
Well Red
Cost Of Living Rose
Fisher Body Rust
Hi-Ho Silver
Frank Lloyd White

When I was young and (more) foolish, I painted a TR3 in Statutory Grape ((actually Plum Crazy)

·
Registered
45 Posts
It will be really expensive. I tried the best body shops in the area and they wouldn't do it. Putting on new parts and painting is easier than a complete paint job especially if they take it apart to change the color. I finally found one guy in town and had just the hood and deck where the clear coat was pealing at 14 years old. It looks great again for $1000.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts