Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys I'm posting up for a friend of mine,

A non-mechanically inclined friend across they country owns a GXP from 2007. Recently he was driving it and heard a large bang in the rear end. Brought it to his mechanic and they found that the carrier went, taking the whole housing with it.

Currently they are looking to hunt down a new rear end to swap it in, but can't seem to get his hands on one.

We've been able to find some base model ones like candy, but If he gets his hands on a Base, is the carrier much more different? I believe it might just have the LSD and different gearing. Is there a better option in the long run (over stock)? What are the aftermarket options avalible, or other cars that we can use to swap into it?

I'm not a Solstice guy but know rear ends pretty well for a home garage mechanic. If he can't find a replacement, he's pretty much SOL on the whole girl and we all don't want that to happen to her.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
263 Posts
The base diff has a ratio of 3.91 and gxp has a ratio of 3.73. The base diffs come in LSD and open diff. He'd be better off going with the original diff because I hear it plays better with the power band.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Same Getrag units were used in Cadillac CTS and STS. A search on this board should yield some results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The base diff has a ratio of 3.91 and gxp has a ratio of 3.73. The base diffs come in LSD and open diff. He'd be better off going with the original diff because I hear it plays better with the power band.
Hey 2.4, thanks for the rundown on the gearing. With the taller gears out of the base, it's going to have a little more pop off the line. And you think in the higher end of the power ban it preforms better? Is it more torque though the peak.

Apologies, I'm an off road guy, who's ripped apart many a diff and Xfer cases. We aim to get that slow and strong approach.

Any indication on the donor car for the LSD model? Would you know the model number of the diff it's self.

Again thanks all for the help. Been searching everywhere for info and new getting contradictory answers. Felt it would be next to go the the community.

·
Premium Member
18,478 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
With regard to LSD, look for RPO code G80 on the tag affixed to the inside of the glove box door on the donor car.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,617 Posts
What is a "carrier" ? Is it the sprockets of the differential ?
The carrier is the entire differential unit, in other word, the case and all the mechanical things inside it.

It does not include the drive shaft or any of the devices that connect to the pinion shaft. It also does not include the axle shafts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, learned more than this off-roader will ever need to know about your rear-ends. har har har.

Thanks for all your help guys. I hooked him up with Performance Autowerks and got him to a new mechanic that is familiar with the car. My assumptions that if he goes with the taller (Base) gearing and LSD [G80], He'll see more torque off the line, but could potentially reach redline quicker in the PB. But he's grown out of his 'race' days, so basically he's going to see his MPG's drop a little. lol

Again, Thanks for all your help.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,617 Posts
Well, learned more than this off-roader will ever need to know about your rear-ends. har har har.

Thanks for all your help guys. I hooked him up with Performance Autowerks and got him to a new mechanic that is familiar with the car. My assumptions that if he goes with the taller (Base) gearing and LSD [G80], He'll see more torque off the line, but could potentially reach redline quicker in the PB. But he's grown out of his 'race' days, so basically he's going to see his MPG's drop a little. lol

Again, Thanks for all your help.
The difference between a 3.73 and a 3.91 differential is less than 5%, I doubt he'll be able to tell the difference.

YMMV

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.