Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am reposting this as it does not show up in the General Solstice Discussion period, at least for me. activating the "New" button and it still does not show up so I'm damned if I know what's the problem. When I can find it, by using my profile "following" link the top bar shows:

Home > Forums > General Solstice Discussion > General Solstice Discussion

I do not know why the extra General Solstice Discussion Someone is able to read it since Bob, serksfan, replied. He asked for photos so here goes. BTW, I cannot find a photo/illustration of the turnsignal lamp plug showing the clocking tabs. GM has not made this easy or I'd buy a bulb socket and make a bulb socket to 4 pin connector harness. I have spare fog lamp capsule harnesses. They won't fit the non fog lamp capsule' bulb socket hole.

Here is the original post...If I can't find this thread then I give up.

I am experimenting with an appearance mod by deleting my GXP combination turn signal/driving lamp capsules and installing NOS turn signal/running lamp only capsules. These will have the Diode Dynamics led switchback bulbs and, interestingly enough, to me, seem brighter than the fog lamps.

Only the passenger side capsule has the wiring harness, connecting the bulb and its socket to the 4 pin body connector. I am searching for the driver side harness piece (socket to 4 pin body connector).

So far, hours of research find nothing, unless I want to buy some aftermarket capsule that comes with the wiring piece. The wiring for the turn signal/driving lamp capsule is available separately, OEM, but not finding the base lamp wiring. I already have spare wiring harnesses, both sides, for the combination capsules. Even called Red Line Parts (recycler) here in Florida and they only strip out the stuff they can flip quickly and send the rest to the yards.

Anyone have this piece with its three wire bulb socket (black/brown/blue) to the 4 pin flat male plug? The blue for the driver side should be dark blue, the passenger side is light blue, if my information is correct.

Thanks for any help.

Richard Snipes

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
I remembered replying to your post, but then, when I looked it up in my account, I found it wasn't your post, just a similar one: Need to find front directional plug.... what will work?. Hah!

So that picture is the harness from the old cluster without a fog light. There are very few of those I believe (?). But can't you still use the one for the dual turn/fog lights and just cut off the wires/connector for the fog bulb?

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TS,

I wish. I have extra harnesses for the fog light capsule but the bulb receptacle (socket) is physically different and so are the indexing tabs. You can get capsule harnesses with the fog light option still in stock from GM but they don't even bother to list the "w/o fog light" pigtail. Hence my search. If I could just find the bulb socket I can fab one easily. Now I wonder if the instrument panels for the non fog lamp cars had a blank in that spot. If I can get this done, and it works, seems the fog lamp switch with its indicator light would be good to toggle a tune on and off. It's just a switch after all...

Richard

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a good lead. Problem is making certain the socket fits in the OEM capsule. When I found the socket for the turn signal bulb in the capsule with the fog lamp is physically different in size and location tabs, my first thought was...why? Because we can was the only answer, I reckon. That decision was made going on 20 years ago since it is used on several different models. Looks like the plain capsule was simple, no weird bulb with offset parallelogram centering tabs. The plain socket is rather elegant and minimalist. No press here plastic that won't press. Put it in the opening and turn, done. I just can't seem to find one. The pandemic makes camping out at a parts place difficult but that would probably work. Thanks for the thoughts. It's going to be simple eventually.

Richard Snipes

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm guessing you found the part numbers for the lights? They are supposed to include the harness you pictured above: 15821418/9. But, as you found, I don't see a part number for just the harness.

When I google those numbers, and look at images the connector on the back of the bulb isn't the same as the one you posted.

If it were me, I'd hit a junkyard and grab a few samples. Might find something that works.

(Looks like a non-fog Grand Prix light is a different part number, even though the ones with fogs are the same. 15892808/9 are the numbers. Same deal though, no part number for the harness.)

Hit a local junkyard at lunch. Sure enough. Two 2008 Grand Prixs there without foglights.

From one of them:
lights.jpg

The sockets look like they used to have part numbers printed on them. Can't read them now.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, the two non-fog capsules I have came direct from the plant, still in their bubble wrap pouches and the protective film on the lenses, not from GM surplus. Only the passenger capsule had the wiring harness, as I posted images of. I am waiting for one person with NOS to send me photos of what he has. If I end up having to do what TS suggested and buy another driver side capsule, I will and put the spare on the shelf. I just want to see how it looks and I imagine it will be kinda old school, with big lamps (not divided), for the GXP. As it is the switchback led parking lamp bulbs are brighter than the fog lamps. A night drive will be illuminating in more ways than one.

Can you send me the link to where you found a non-fog lamp capsule showing the back with the harness and is it OEM GM or Asian repop? I'd appreciate the info as I have yet to find anything illustrated with a focused and properly exposed photo that's clear enough to tell period.

Thank you for the information. You are helping define the path.

Richard Snipes

·
Registered
43 Posts
If the car in the yard I grabbed those parts form is 100% original, and it probably is, they used the same harness on both sides. Seeing these, I bet the picture I saw online was indeed a reproduction piece, as the ones above look just like yours.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The entire life of the Solstice I have never seen one in a yard here in Florida. Plenty of dead Solstice on the site I can never remember that lists crashed, totaled cars up for auction. Solstice with automatic transmissions are dying like flies on a cold day. It was too depressing to look every day and find something usable a half a continent away.

Like I said earlier, I contacted Red Line Auto Parts in central Florida about a capsule. They took the information and do get a lot of Solstice and Sky cars, but only harvest the parts in the best condition and easiest to sell. Somebody awhile back was looking for a steering wheel and could not find one. Redline had at least 3 listed at the time. Doors, door panels, trunk lids, you name it. Discount for picking something up, you just pay FL sales tax on local pick up.

If you go back to that yard, I'd appreciate you removing the wiring harnesses if it's indeed a non-fog light car. (y)

Thanks for your information,

Richard

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good information. I'll keep a watch on the local Pick-A-Part inventory. Thank you.

Richard

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pick-A-Part had a 50% off sale this past Saturday and Sunday. Place looked like a war zone. Hot as a day in Hell and graced with a thunderstorm as I was leaving. Checking inventory before the 40+ minute slog across the city to reach the yard showed a variety of Gran Prix up for harvest. The first one I went to was a fog lamp delete car. Someone had removed the headlamps so all I had to do was reach in and disconnect the bulb harness. Bingo...same as the one I had. Same for the next GP. The others had the fog lamps. I scouted for power steering caps and pulled two for reference and comparison with ours on the Solstice, since folks seem to be interested and they are supposedly no longer available. Probably a 30-45 minute visit. Weather kept me from looking at other vehicles of interest.

Spent my time and travel, $4 to get in and the four bulb harnesses (with bulbs) plus two PS caps were $5.26, so the lead on the Gran Prix using the same capsules was good information. By the way, the harnesses are perfect. Salvage yards are good for reference and ideas about how to do something before tackling it on our own car. I saw some dual horn mounting brackets that have Solstice potential.

Now to see how this looks on the GXP with the Diode Dynamics front turn signal/parking lamp Switchback leds.

Photos will be posted later...

Richard Snipes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts