Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,

I am looking for a jack that I can keep in the trunk of my Solstice and is low enough to be used to jack the car on one "corner" in case I have a flat.

Only candidate I found is this type.....

Any other suggestions . . . . . . ?

·
Registered
174 Posts
My car is lowered, so this works for me with a lifting puck (or hockey puck).
I would recommend a cheap ratcheting breaker bar with a couple of deep socket. One for the end of the scissor jack and one for your lug nuts and wheel lock key (if you have one). This jack is small enough to haul around.

But my question is why? You don’t have a spare tire?

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a spare wheel + tire. But without a jack it is kind of useless.

Also when on the road the jack enables me to remove the wheel, get it fixed or pick up my spare, install the wheel, continue my journey.

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks TS

I did a smart search in the forums for about 10 minutes and the result is . . . . . I am not smart enough :)

·
Super Moderator
6,010 Posts
I think that that style of jack is going to be the most practical for what you want to do. If you really want to spend a lot more money you can, but why?

Now that I think about your reasoning I will be carrying mine, along with a torque wrench and socket. I already carry a plug kit, pliers, and a small inflator, but taking the wheel off will make it a lot easier to work on if I ever have to.

You may be less "not smart enough" than you thought. Wspohn posted about the billet jack, but the link to it that he posted isn't live anymore.

The post: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/low-rise-jack-139418/#post1959346

·
Registered
325 Posts
My flat tire plan:

I carry a tire repair kit - plugs and tool plus the OEM inflator.

If not reparable:

I keep my spare tire at home.

In case of a flat, call wife, she brings spare to me.

Her car has a lug wrench that fits the GXP and her Jack is a low scissors type that will fit under my car.

Didn't think of carrying a Jack and wrench to remove tire to facilitate tire repair.

But............. I have not had a flat in any car in over 10 years. Only slow leaks.

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Never had a flat either...... But 2 weeks ago I noticed that while hibernating TheRedOne has a flat.

So got a compressor to check how fast it goes down and a new tire on spare rim. Gonna change it tomorrow using jack from my daily driver.

Then take wheel to dealer to get tire/rim repaired or replaced.

·
Super Moderator
6,010 Posts
I have had one flat, in one of the Skys, after a combined 125k miles of driving them. I got it plugged OK and didn't think too much about it, but doing it on the car was a big enough pain that the jack and wrench will be worth it for out of town trips. The puzzling thing to me is why it has just now made that much sense.

·
Super Moderator
15,988 Posts
found a flat jack at California Car Cover

https://www.calcarcover.com/

its a billet fold flat jack that they have made and the only place I found it was on their site.

I have jacked the wheels off the ground, it will do one wheel at a time because its range of motion is limited by its size. A block of wood will make it easier.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have the same jack From California Car Cover, on my car I had to add a 1"X4" block of wood under it to actually lift a rear wheel off the ground. But it does the job.

I like it as we usually take our car on at least 1 5-7 day trip and I wanted to have a way to remove a tire for inspection/plugging if needed.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
In 57 years of driving I've only had 1 instance where a tire inflator would not have been enough to get me to a tire shop. I do, however, carry a plug kit in my SKY, which I have never used (I've put 51000 miles on the SKY with no tire problems). :smile2:

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I still have the jack from a '59 Renault. Nice scissor jack, small, heavy duty, and fits over the pinch weld (or not). I still carry it in my trailer. It will lift a loaded axle. You should be able to find something at a salvage yard.

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
One thing I'd like to add that's not jack related but goes with this thread as far as fixing a flat .The can of tire sealant (fix a flat) that comes with our cars is basically good for 5 years so picking up a fresh can is probably good insurance and as mentioned above a tire repair kit is good to keep in the trunk .I've seen some listed GM leftovers on Ebay but I have to believe that the self life has expired and you can purchase this stuff at any auto supply store . One other thing is that a tire repaired with this stuff is only good for between 50 and 100 miles my info comes from manufacturers websites that I researched .

·
Super Moderator
6,010 Posts
One thing I'd like to add that's not jack related but goes with this thread as far as fixing a flat .The can of tire sealant (fix a flat) that comes with our cars is basically good for 5 years so picking up a fresh can is probably good insurance and as mentioned above a tire repair kit is good to keep in the trunk .I've seen some listed GM leftovers on Ebay but I have to believe that the self life has expired and you can purchase this stuff at any auto supply store . One other thing is that a tire repaired with this stuff is only good for between 50 and 100 miles my info comes from manufacturers websites that I researched .
Good advice, but given a choice I would never use sealant in a tire, and mine is safely on a shelf in the store room. It can mess up the TPMS sensors and corrode the wheels, and it is a mess for the tire busters when it comes time to change the tires. On that note, if you do use it, be sure to warn them when you take it in for tire work.

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I still have the jack from a '59 Renault. Nice scissor jack, small, heavy duty, and fits over the pinch weld (or not). I still carry it in my trailer. It will lift a loaded axle. You should be able to find something at a salvage yard.

What model Renault is that Tom? My daily driver is a Renault Clio stick turbo.

Scissor jacks are plenty available. A good brand new red (to match my ride) low scissor jack is available for as little as 22$

The Billet jack is awesome, but I do not want to spend +200$

1 - 20 of 22 Posts