Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Solstice GXP Coupe with a manual transmission and 20,350 miles on it.

Yesterday while drive home from work, a diagnostic merssage appeared on my DIC that sstated "Check Gas Cap". Whern I arrived at home I checked the gas cap and it was secured and seated as it should be. Just to be sure I opened the gas cap and rescured it making sure it ratchetted closed.

Today as i was driving to work the "Check Gas Cap" warniong appeared on my DIC. I cleared it and then the amber check engine light appeared and would not go out even after shutting down car and restarting it.

Anyone encounter this issue and can let me know what steps to take before i take it to a dealer?

Lar Bear
#159 Sol Cool Sol GXP Coupe

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
I'd get the code read first and take it from there. Local car parts store should have a reader.

·
Registered
143 Posts
more then likely its an evap code for the emissions . throw a brand new fuel cap on it first . even if you take it to the shop this may be there first step you might be able to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes to clear the engine light see if it stay off if not then you need to go to a shop that has a smoke machine to find the emissions leak in the fuel system .

·
Premium Member
17,548 Posts
If you pull the battery cable for 15 seconds it will clear the CEL.

a cold reboot, longer than 15 seconds, will clear all codes and you loose data. You also put the car back into learn / recalibrate mode which may not be what you want to do.

Buy an OBD 2 reader. They are cheap and you will have your own access to the car CAN bus data.

There are a number of possibilities that can set this CEL. I agree, starting with installing a known good gas cap first as its cheap and easy. If that does not address the issue, you may have an evap valve issue or similar that is more challenging to diagnose and address.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Buy a new cap, they are cheap. IF issue continues buy a new EVAP purge solenoid...also cheap

EVAP Purge Solenoid

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forum Members -
Thanks a million for the recommendations. I will let you guys know how things work out!

Lar Bear
#159 Sol "Cool" GXP Man Trans Coupe

·
Registered
728 Posts
Just make sure to tighten the gas cap, I turn it 3-4 times even after its secure making sure the ratchet sounds are happening. Since the initial error code popped because of the gas cap, you'll have to go several engine starts/stop cycles over a couple of days before the error code should just disappears if that was the only issue. IF it continues, then you need to check out what code is stored.

·
Registered
333 Posts
3-4 times around while the cap ratchet is clicking? Seriously? 3-4 clicks maybe, should be enough to ensure the cap is tight.

·
Registered
728 Posts
3-4 times around while the cap ratchet is clicking? Seriously? 3-4 clicks maybe, should be enough to ensure the cap is tight.
Then again, I've never had the CEL come on for a loose gas cap, I turn that puppy at least 3 times....:D, to each their own bud..:yesnod:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went to an auto parts store today. They plugged in their OBD2 reader and it showed a fault associated with fuel system. I purchased a replacement fuel cap and swapped it out with my original one. Hopefully after a few more start up / shut down cycles it will extinguish. If not I will change the solenoid valve.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Did they clear the code for you ? If not just remove the positive cable that will clear it as Rob has said .The ECM needs a cycle of at least 10 start and stop cycles (drive the car a few miles during each cycle)to relearn this info from my local GM dealer when I was having issues with E Check

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The auto parts guy didn't clear the code. I guess I will pull the cable off the battery tomorrow to clear it.

I thought it would clear after multiple startup /shutdown cycles.

Thanks again for all the advice Forum members.

Lar Bear
#159 Sol "Cool" GXP Manual Coupe

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Here in Florida the policy is NOT to clear the codes.
I asked and the Autozone guy said it was not allowed by corporate but did not know if it was a Florida or National law issue.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I need to purchase an OBD2 reader. Then I can handle related issues myself.

Anyone have a suggestion for the best OBD2 reader to buy for the $?

I kind of like those readers that transmit to a smart phone via an App for that particular reader.

Lar Bear
#159 "Cool" Sol GXP Manual Coupe

·
Registered
199 Posts
I need to purchase an OBD2 reader. Then I can handle related issues myself.

Anyone have a suggestion for the best OBD2 reader to buy for the $?

I kind of like those readers that transmit to a smart phone via an App for that particular reader.

Lar Bear
#159 "Cool" Sol GXP Manual Coupe

There are plenty of ELM based ones on Amazon for about $20. They will work great with Torque, a $5 Android app.

Bob

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Before you go throwing a bunch of money at it, what was the code? It might be something simple, it might be something very expensive.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ghost -
The code currently displayed on the reader is P0455 Evaporative EmissionSystem Leak Detected.

Lar Bear
#159 "Cool" Sol Man Trans GXP Coupe

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Forum Members -
I cleared the P0455 code last Friday evening and haven't had the CEL reappear since then. It looks like the OEM gas cap was the root cause of the Evaporative Emission Leak!

Thanks again for all the advice.

Lar Bear
#159 "Cool" Sol Man Trans GXP Coupe

1 - 20 of 25 Posts