Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

If you are one of the first 1000 and plan to go to Detoit but are not bringing a guest, I would really appreciate it if I could go as your guest. I'm really anxious to see the car and this would be a great meeting place for forum members. Please PM me if I can be your guest. Thanks!!! Todd

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
todd_raleigh said:
Hi all,

If you are one of the first 1000 and plan to go to Detoit but are not bringing a guest, I would really appreciate it if I could go as your guest. I'm really anxious to see the car and this would be a great meeting place for forum members. Please PM me if I can be your guest. Thanks!!! Todd
You know the rules of the road right?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Detroit Event

I wonder if any of the first 1,000 Solstice winners that cannot attend the Detroit event, be allowed to designate another person to attend . I'm sure there are a lot of forum members not part of the first 1,000 group that would love to attend.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'm available - can chauffeur to and from the airport (20-mins from home).

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
You wouldn't want me there.

I would tell Lutz that the First 1000 promotion was a great idea back in April, but the wait had gone on for so long now there are 8000-9000 OTHER CUSTOMERS.

Many of these other customers have been waiting as longer or longer than the 1st 1k group, yet are being told squat by their dealers and have no other recourse.

I am sure I can't be the only one who is getting really :brentil: about this.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I certainly don't like what happened either. But guess what? There's nothing we can do about it. It's ancient history. I seriously doubt there is anything we can do to get our cars (post EOP first 1000) quicker. It's something in life you just can't control. Let it go and watch it unfold. They (GM) know how we feel about this whole thing. They are looking at this forum.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
I feel the same way! Back in late March when I first found this site and started reading about how it was going to start production in mid May and start shipping to dealers in June/July I was extremely happy.

A weekend before that I sat down and planned out how I was going to afford a new car (at the time I was looking at a Celica GTS since there wasn't any Pontiac car that was affordable to me that caught my eye).

About a week later there was all the discussions about the Apprentice thing. I was forced to work that day from like 10-5pm with no hope of leaving work since I was in charge of the store and there were no other managers. Plus I wasn't so sure about ordering a car having never driven it or even seen it in person, on top of that I only had a little over $500 in savings and the dealers where I live required $1,000 downs. So I ended up waiting a couple days wishing I had skipped out of work, borrowed money from my parents and gotten one of the first 1k cars. In desperation I called virtually every Maryland Pontiac dealer to find out if they had any 1st Four Month allocations left, most said they were filled or had their last slot available. I wasn't going to be the end of the rope, so I continued my pursuit by calling Pontiac dealers in Virginia. Luckily I found one that only had 1 of his 3 cars sold. I gave him my apprentice code, with the off chance that the 4000 Wait Listees a head of me would bail out :) About a week or two later I drove down and put my $1,000 down and got my VOM#, that was on 4/27. At that point I was told early Fall I would be getting my car, which the dealer said would be late September->early October.

Fast forward till about a week in half ago. I still hadn't heard anything new from my dealer, the couple times I had called him during the last 3 months I had been told, there were delays or their didn't know anything, which probably was true from the information we've gotten on here. Then I call up and say I want to drop the AC from my car and they said its good I called because they were just getting ready to put my car into the system. So in 3 months the only thing that has changed is now I'm in the GM system ready to be built at some later date.

What GM should do for the 9k-10k other people who weren't fortunate enough to be able to get their cars within the next month and get a big party should get a website where everyone can plug in their VOM# and see the status of what build code it's in and an estimated build date, much like tracking a UPS package. That way we're not bugging the dealers and we can have the comfort of having an idea of where our cars stand.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
You wouldn't want me there.

I would tell Lutz that the First 1000 promotion was a great idea back in April, but the wait had gone on for so long now there are 8000-9000 OTHER CUSTOMERS.

Many of these other customers have been waiting as longer or longer than the 1st 1k group, yet are being told squat by their dealers and have no other recourse.

:agree:

Man, do I ever agree with that statement! I think the first 1k should have been only 100. It was a great marketing strategy, but the 1000 are taking too long to produce and it's making people mad.. 9000 other people. :willy:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Pontiac is making it very difficult to buy this car

Put a deposit with dealer on Jan 05
Apprentice- 2 month delay
Production startup-2 month delay
Leather shortage-2 month delay
Northern allocation-2 month delay

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
I do not think it is a bad idea if GM/Pontiac would let us 1st 1000 owners have a designated person to attend the event in our behalf.
There are a lot of members here that live near Detroit that I assume would be happy to represent another forum member.
How about it GM/Pontiac send us an e-mail if this can be done.
Thank you.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Detroit event

LatinVenom said:
I do not think it is a bad idea if GM/Pontiac would let us 1st 1000 owners have a designated person to attend the event in our behalf.
There are a lot of members here that live near Detroit that I assume would be happy to represent another forum member.
How about it GM/Pontiac send us an e-mail if this can be done.
Thank you.
Maybe you could call program headquarters on Monday
and find out. I'm sure there are lots of forum members that could make it to the event. I know I would.

R.S.V.P. Program Headquarters (866-539-0256) during business hours,
which are 8:00 am - 5:00 pm CT - OR - reply to this email by no later than
5:00 pm CT Tuesday, August 2.

·
5,641 Posts
Keith said:
Put a deposit with dealer on Jan 05
Apprentice- 2 month delay
Production startup-2 month delay
Leather shortage-2 month delay
Northern allocation-2 month delay

So you think that Pontiac is making this car difficult to buy becuase they had a 25 day, a 400 hundred production hour delay in start up of production which may have been to work out quality issues. Isn't it possible that your expections more then GM's quality standards need adjusting?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Small Dealer said:
So you think that Pontiac is making this car difficult to buy becuase they had a 25 day, a 400 hundred production hour delay in start up of production which may have been to work out quality issues. Isn't it possible that your expections more then GM's quality standards need adjusting?
:agree: I would rather wait another year and get a quality car then to have something rushed out. Can you imagine the criticism of GM if they had rushed the car out and had all sorts of problems?

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
GreatWhiteNorth said:
Maybe you could call program headquarters on Monday
and find out. I'm sure there are lots of forum members that could make it to the event. I know I would.

R.S.V.P. Program Headquarters (866-539-0256) during business hours,
which are 8:00 am - 5:00 pm CT - OR - reply to this email by no later than
5:00 pm CT Tuesday, August 2.
I'd just called Program Headquarters and the answer was a resounding NO NO and NO.
It is to bad because although I am a 1st 1000, there are a lot of people here in the forum that are buying a SOL, so why not let one of you take my place (on my behalf)?.
I have business issues that do not let me attend this event, it is a sad note, stance, from GM/Pontiac.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The information we are hearing from GMLineDog is that these are virtually being hand-built at this time. This would explain the reduced production numbers. I must admit, I like the idea of getting an American car that is being checked and rechecked to fit and function before being sent out. These maybe the best GM products ever produced off an assembly line!

·
Registered
528 Posts
LatinVenom said:
I'd just called Program Headquarters and the answer was a resounding NO NO and NO.
It is to bad because although I am a 1st 1000, there are a lot of people here in the forum that are buying a SOL, so why not let one of you take my place?.
I have business issues that do not let me attend this event, it is a sad note, stance, from GM/Pontiac.
There just may be a good reason why the invite was short notice and restricted to the first 1000 buyers. Think hard about it...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Expectations

SD, I don't have a problem waiting for quality problems to be worked out. I do have a complaint about how orders are handled. I will admit I was unaware of how orders are processed. When I put down a deposit I thought I was getting in line company wide not just with the dealer. I don't think it is fair that many people that have had deposits down for months will be getting their cars many months after someone that placed an order last week. I also don't think geography should affect when you get a car other than delivery times.

GM has known about the leather demand since April 15, and it looks like it will be Sept before they finish the 1st 1000. It seems they could have worked out the leather problem in that peroid of time.

Have you commented on the post that production has been cut back to 9000 ? Is it because they feel that they will be unable to produce more that than because of slow start up? The weekly totals are less than the goal for each day. What does this do for the 4 month allocation figures?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Editguy said:
:agree: I would rather wait another year and get a quality car then to have something rushed out. Can you imagine the criticism of GM if they had rushed the car out and had all sorts of problems?

No need to imagine, that's pretty much what happened with the Ion, or so I hear. (I wasn't exactly waiting with the same anticipation for the Ion. ;) )

·
Registered
120 Posts
the waiting many

I am happy for the EOP folks. However is seems that Pontiac is doing a little rubbing our nose in it by its attitude towards the many thousands that follow. Many are founding members that for one reason or another did not get an EOP car, while some late arrivals were lucky to get one..a little consideration to those who wait past the 1000 would be appreciated.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts