Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening,

I took a test drive in a 2009 GXP today. Love the car. Just looking for any advice regarding what to look for and what to look out for on the Solstice.

Thanks,
Todd

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
There is plenty of info here. First and foremost. I'm the "glass is 1/2 empty" guy here. If you are looking at cars with 50k+ on them, make 100% sure the waterpump has been replaced. This is a very common failure on the GXP....and runs about $1000 at a dealer. Instructions must be followed precisely to fix it, or there are bigger, harder issues that come about. Some say that flushing the coolant regularly may help to prolong the life of the wp. Next, they require premium fuel and 100% synthetic oil changes. If you are after an even higher mileage car, around 90-120k the balancer chain guides/timing chain guides tend to wear. This is about a $2500 repair. A battery replacement is about $300 at a dealer. And this year we've seen a major uptik in thermostat issues. This repair is about $750 at the dealer and you must only use ACDelco replacement thermostat as others cause issues. There are specific lifting/hoisting/jacking instructions or you crush the front fenders and floor. The intake valves, as with ALL DI engines may require a cleaning around 60-90k. This involves removing the intake and walnut blasting each one. A messy, time consuming process. A fuel service at the dealer will not do anything for this issue. Nothing touches an intake valve on a DI motor. The high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) is known to fail around the 90k-100k mark. Parts are getting more scarce for this and if the dealer does it, you will pay upwards of $800 for the part alone. Replacement tops aren't cheap...upwarsds of $3500 for a top assembly and over $2000 to reskin it. So make sure the top is in excellent condition. At this point in the vehicles age, ALL fluids should have been replaced. This could be up to $2000 to have done at a dealership. Many dealers no longer know how to service these cars. Many won't touch them because it breaks their "10 year rule". Many have no clue that a lot of things require very specific procedures and tools. Here's a good place to start if you are still around!! LOL. Like I said, I don't want a potential new owner to not know that these cars may not be the least expensive fun vehicle to own....but the smiles you will get from it will outweigh the headache....usually. Here's that link: What to look for when purchasing a used Solstice/Sky

Reactions: easyryderca

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
See Rob the Elders exhaustive list of things to check.

Reactions: The_Ghost

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks to Sly Bob, Rob the Elder and The Ghost. It makes me feel better buying a vehicle when I know there are those out there that can guide me when trouble inevitably occurs. Cheers gentlemen 🍻

·
Premium Member
10,427 Posts
How many miles on the 2009?. I have a 2007 GXP with less than 8275 miles, plus lots of good moods add it to it.
Here is the link if you are interested, specially since you do not have to look for any issues, all the fluids have been taking care off etc..
Here is the link to my FS.

Reactions: easyryderca
1 - 6 of 6 Posts