Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and I have narrowed my search down to "2 cars" and weighing price difference versus features:

- 2007 base model with leather seats and the rare green emerald color with the tan roof, 48000 miles. 5 speed automatic, beautiful looking car -$7,000
OR

2007 Gray GXP, cloth seats 68,000 miles, manual 5 speed. 68,000 miles $9,500

Both are in very good shape, one is from a private owner (base model) and GXP is from a dealer.

I have driven both and I like driving a stick, but have driven automatics with the tiptronics that simulates the feel of a manual. Can you shift since it is a 5 speed automatic?

Also were there improvement made in the 2007 base model versus the first year they were introduced in 2006?

I look forward to any and all feedback- Thanks much

·
Registered
6,991 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,474 Posts
Color, upholstery, and transmission are clearly personal choices so no one can really help you with those.

No, you cannot manually shift the automatic although the "I" setting is supposed to be very effective in spirited driving.

You have driven both so you are well aware of the power difference between the NA and GXP. This again is a preference that only you can speak to. I have one of each and enjoy them equally.

The NA is going to be more reliable. It has fewer bits to break, and the technology is better proven. The GXP/RL were the first GM direct-injection engine applications and there are some weaknesses. That said it is still quite reliable, but not as good as the NA.

The NA uses less expensive fuel, but under some conditions the GXP will get better mileage. When gas prices were $0.20 different between grades the GXP was actually less expensive to operate sometimes, but it has gotten to be $0.40-0.60 around here so that has washed out for the most part. It costs me more to operate my RL because I tend to use the greater power when it is available such that they both average the same fuel mileage.

The fact that you are choosing between such different vehicles suggests to me that the NA is the better choice for you. Lower miles, lower cost, more reliable, and lower operating costs.

If your next question turns out to be how to get more power out of the NA, scratch that and go with the GXP.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for the comparison as that helps a lot. I understand that ABS brakes was an option on the base model. How would I tell if it has ABS brakes?

·
Registered
206 Posts
The RPO code inside the glove box of my '06 2.4 NA for antilock brakes is: JL9 = Brakes, 4-wheel antilock.

Also look for: G80 - which is for limited slip differential.

Also advantageous. :grin:

·
Premium Member
3,667 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
I kinda wish i had got a fast one....if that helps.but then again it still wouldent be fast enough and I wood want more...so...I got the best looking sliver with steel./sand interrior in&out looks new...and it's a turd to me but to some it's fast. it's all a matter of prospective. I wanted a pretty fast car. So I got half of what I wanted for my daily driver .( retired racer,machinist, engine builder and more) .try to get atleasy half of what you want.dont buy too fast look around and dont bee skeered to travel.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Good luck with the search and welcome to the forum... make sure that you drive both cars. For me, there is nothing like manually shifting through the gears and spinning the turbo! :wink:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Innovative Performance Chip/Power Programmer

I know if I am interested in a faster car I should be buying a GXP, but does anyone have experience with this device and more importantly does it worK?
Innovative Performance Chip/Power Programmer for Pontiac Solstice 2.0L and 2.4L - Improve Your Fuel Mileage, Save Gas & Gain More MPG, Increase Horsepower & Torque with this Engine Tuner!

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
I know if I am interested in a faster car I should be buying a GXP, but does anyone have experience with this device and more importantly does it worK?
Innovative Performance Chip/Power Programmer for Pontiac Solstice 2.0L and 2.4L - Improve Your Fuel Mileage, Save Gas & Gain More MPG, Increase Horsepower & Torque with this Engine Tuner!
Don't waste your time and money on those things... get a reputable 'canned' tune or invest in HP tuners if you are going the highly modify the car. The 2.4 only sees modest gains (about 20hp) from tuning, the GXP can be tuned into a beast with 50hp to 100hp gains depending on tune and mods.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Color, upholstery, and transmission are clearly personal choices so no one can really help you with those.

No, you cannot manually shift the automatic although the "I" setting is supposed to be very effective in spirited driving.

You have driven both so you are well aware of the power difference between the NA and GXP. This again is a preference that only you can speak to. I have one of each and enjoy them equally.

The NA is going to be more reliable. It has fewer bits to break, and the technology is better proven. The GXP/RL were the first GM direct-injection engine applications and there are some weaknesses. That said it is still quite reliable, but not as good as the NA.

The NA uses less expensive fuel, but under some conditions the GXP will get better mileage. When gas prices were $0.20 different between grades the GXP was actually less expensive to operate sometimes, but it has gotten to be $0.40-0.60 around here so that has washed out for the most part. It costs me more to operate my RL because I tend to use the greater power when it is available such that they both average the same fuel mileage.

The fact that you are choosing between such different vehicles suggests to me that the NA is the better choice for you. Lower miles, lower cost, more reliable, and lower operating costs.

If your next question turns out to be how to get more power out of the NA, scratch that and go with the GXP.
should chisel that last sentence in stone!

·
Registered
154 Posts
No brainer I think coupe or 2007 GXP after 2006 they added turbo and gave GXP 290 hp. 0 to 60 in 5.5 seconds. Buy far funest to drive. Has 3 different modes. But there is tons to say wish I had a coupe but LOVE MY 07 GXP

·
Registered
31 Posts
Two-time Solstice owner here...

There’s a great, twisty, exhilarating run from Salem to the coast I’ve driven many times in almost a dozen different vehicles over the last dozen years...it’s a course I could run blindfolded.

I’d say it’s nearly a tie between the Solstice GXP manual w GMPP upgrade and Pilot SuperSport tires...and the far-more-powerful Dual Motor AWD Tesla 3 with Sport4S tires. Both are 50-50 weight distributed, designed by the same genius, and exceptional vehicles. The Sol gets a bonus for the top-down thrills with mind-numbing passing acceleration.

If you’re shopping for a daily commuter car, a 2.4 will get the job done...and I’m a sucker for green on a Sol or Vette. If you want the most smiles-per-gallon, get the GXP manual and never look back...trust me, you won’t want to see the folks you blasted past up-hill without flinching.l anyway 😉

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
No brainer I think coupe or 2007 GXP after 2006 they added turbo and gave GXP 290 hp. 0 to 60 in 5.5 seconds. Buy far funest to drive. Has 3 different modes. But there is tons to say wish I had a coupe but LOVE MY 07 GXP
No...the GXP had 260hp from the factory and there's still quite a few cars out there that haven't been tuned to the 290hp...There was an available dealer installed upgrade (Stage I) to net you 290hp. Which when they were the only ones doing it cost you $1k or there about. Now that the vehicles are out of warranty, you can get a tune from anywhere that will net you at least 290hp, but a few require the change of the MAP sensors. What are these 3 different modes you speak of?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts