Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where the Solstice will be built ? My guess would be Lordstown since it was just revamped for the Chevvy Cobalt and I suspect there will be a certain anount of cross polination.

Would be interesting if there were a Chevvy version particularly if it had FWD.

Pontiac and Cadillac seem to be reinventing RWD so it would be interesting to compare the two.

Wonder what the cost differential would be - the "Cobalt power module" would just bolt in. OTOH all of the development work for RWD has been done for the Solstice.

And on the gripping hand, RWD is much more amenable to manual trans than FWD. Not so much destructive axle tramp (so long as the suspension numbers are crunched rite). Will be interested to see how it plays out.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
http://www.autointell-news.com/News...an-08-04-p1.htm

Wilmington, Delaware.

Also, I'm sure it's a different world when you take a motor designed for FWD and turn it the right direction, so the "Cobalt Power Module" you mention is not so much a "bolt in" anymor.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, by "bolt in" I meant a Chevvy Cobalt derivative with FWD. You know they have plans waiting if the Solstice is a success.

Wonder what a Buick version would be like. Now that Olds is gone, all current cars are four-doors and is not an image they really want.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Vauxhall has a "concept car" that sounds a lot like the Solstice.

However thay have the VX 220 in production. Why would they want to compete with themselves ?

Of course the VX220 is midengined & does 151 mph with the 2.0 t/c engine and in the UK it is rated at "197bhp at 5500rpm...(torque is) 184lb ft,... from 1950-5500rpm" - Autocar. It also costs £25,495 in the UK and at $1.80/£ is a little pricy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts