Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lori Queen is moved

But now the Corvette and Solstice (Sky) will share the same line executive.

GM Announces Corvette Chief Engineer David Hill to Retire

Tom Wallace to lead performance car team

DETROIT - General Motors Corp. announced today that David Hill, currently vehicle chief engineer (VCE) of the Chevrolet Corvette and vehicle line executive (VLE) of performance cars, will retire effective Jan. 1, 2006 after more than 41 years of dedicated service.

Tom Wallace will replace Hill as vehicle line executive of performance cars and vehicle chief engineer of the Corvette. Additionally, he will assume responsibilities for compact rear-wheel-drive performance cars including Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky. Wallace currently is VLE of small and midsize trucks.

Lori Queen, currently VLE of compact cars and the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky, is appointed VLE of small and midsize trucks, replacing Tom Wallace. The North America compact car team will now report to Peter Mertens, vehicle line executive of global compact cars. Mertens is currently leading the Global Compact Car Development Team located in Germany.

·
Registered
292 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Merging 2 threads on this.

Seems like Lori still has small cars and now additionally has midsize trucks so she's still over Solstice/Sky.

·
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mceb said:
Merging 2 threads on this.

Seems like Lori still has small cars and now additionally has midsize trucks so she's still over Solstice/Sky.
The GM Press release is very clear that Solstice/Sky are going to Wallace. It is a little less clear but appears to indicate that Mertens will have compact cars.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Ummmm.... if you have been an SCCA member, look at some older SportsCar mags, I think you'll see a certain "Truck Guy" in the grid listings for the GT1 runoffs at Mid-Ohio in the mid/late 90's...

If you look at this year's grid listings, you'll also see what I believe are his sons now running in A-sedan...

Used to see this same certain "truck guy" running Patty Moise's eighty-something Buick Somerset Regal NASCAR around Waterford Hills, Grattan, Mid-Ohio... (see attached photos) in the mid 90's.

It is funny, I used to hear the same thing but opposite when Wallace was promoted to be a VLE... "..not sure if some race-car driver is the right person to make a Vehicle Line Executive for TRUCKS, but I guess we'll find out..." :lol:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Small Dealer said:
The GM Press release is very clear that Solstice/Sky are going to Wallace. It is a little less clear but appears to indicate that Mertens will have compact cars.
whoops missed that line...you are correct.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
SolsticeMan said:
Ummmm.... if you have been an SCCA member, look at some older SportsCar mags, I think you'll see a certain "Truck Guy" in the grid listings for the GT1 runoffs at Mid-Ohio in the mid/late 90's...

If you look at this year's grid listings, you'll also see what I believe are his sons now running in A-sedan...

Used to see this same certain "truck guy" running Patty Moise's eighty-something Buick Somerset Regal NASCAR around Waterford Hills, Grattan, Mid-Ohio... (see attached photos) in the mid 90's.

It is funny, I used to hear the same thing but opposite when Wallace was promoted to be a VLE... "..not sure if some race-car driver is the right person to make a Vehicle Line Executive for TRUCKS, but I guess we'll find out..." :lol:

Cool! If he is good enough for SolsticeMan, than he is good enough for me. :thumbs:

How did you get those pics? You really are Clark Kent. :lol:

·
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Well, if he is good enough for Corvette and for all who want a 'vette engine in the Sol/Sky straight from the factory...just keep him away from pricing. Product, yes, pricing, no.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
stang said:
Cool! If he is good enough for SolsticeMan, than he is good enough for me. :thumbs:

How did you get those pics? You really are Clark Kent. :lol:
Those pics are on the internet. Google a couple of the following combinations:

Patty Moise
Buick Somerset, Buick Regal

and you'll find the car. You had to recognize the car for what it was (ran as a NASCAR in '85 or so, but you see the car with the same '57' on the side and same color scheme running around Waterford Hills...), then put two and two together.

Yes, Clark Kent was a reporter, but Peter Parker also took freelance photos for J.J. Jameson's paper...

Being involved in publications seems to be a common comic book theme, huh?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I assume this is a promotion for Lori, but she must be at least partially disappointed to be leaving a segment that included the Sky and Sol and moving to small and midsize trucks. It just doesn't seem as if it would be as exciting.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Small Dealer said:
But now the Corvette and Solstice (Sky) will share the same line executive.

GM Announces Corvette Chief Engineer David Hill to Retire

Tom Wallace to lead performance car team

DETROIT - General Motors Corp. announced today that David Hill, currently vehicle chief engineer (VCE) of the Chevrolet Corvette and vehicle line executive (VLE) of performance cars, will retire effective Jan. 1, 2006 after more than 41 years of dedicated service.

Tom Wallace will replace Hill as vehicle line executive of performance cars and vehicle chief engineer of the Corvette. Additionally, he will assume responsibilities for compact rear-wheel-drive performance cars including Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky. Wallace currently is VLE of small and midsize trucks.
Well, same old same old. GM appoints from within the tower; they just can’t take any chances with outsiders who might bring some new ideas and enthusiasm.

I hope that Tom Wallace will use the Solstice platform wisely; following in the footsteps of Pete Estes and John DeLorean who used the Gran Turismo Omologato to rescue Pontiac from the doldrums in the mid-sixties.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
talbotflyer said:
Well, same old same old. GM appoints from within the tower; they just can’t take any chances with outsiders who might bring some new ideas and enthusiasm.

I hope that Tom Wallace will use the Solstice platform wisely; following in the footsteps of Pete Estes and John DeLorean who used the Gran Turismo Omologato to rescue Pontiac from the doldrums in the mid-sixties.
Who is to say that these execs don't bring enthusiasm and new ideas? The last few years, GM has shown some more flare than they have in a long time. The Solstice, Sky, HHR, and SSR come to mind as examples of new vehicles that are stand outs from a styling standpoint. Possibly the G6 coupe should be included here too (as well as the hardtop convertable version due out in a few months).

There is some life within the hauls of GM. They need to let it lose more than they are, but at least it is starting to stir!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi, good points, let’s hope the enthusiasm for what the buyers want in a sports car will continue at GM. When the AUS Holden was dressed like a GTO I don’t think it made much of a splash with today’s savvy buyers.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
SolLate said:
I think it is great that the same executive team is now managing all the sports cars! :)
Really? :nono: Why? :skep:

I'd rather see groups competing - now you'll NEVER see the Solstice with a factory engine that could compete with a 'vette. That's the whole reason for creating these prduct groups - eliminate product overlap (read - competition) within GM.

Personnally - I like the OLD system where GM's divisions pushed each other (I know those times are long gone and not coming back :( ).

The virtual collapse of GM's product desirability (not sure if its a word - but you know what I mean) began when the divisions stoped competing and started just slapping different lables on each others products.

Commonality between product lines may be great for economics - but I'm not sure what it has done for GM in the long run.

·
Registered
705 Posts
MAKsys said:
I'd rather see groups competing - now you'll NEVER see the Solstice with a factory engine that could compete with a 'vette. That's the whole reason for creating these prduct groups - eliminate product overlap (read - competition) within GM.
Gotta agree with this one! Where I work we have three divisions making different but closely related product lines. It is my fervent belief the friendly rivalry we share creates an atmosphere of friendly competition and open discussion. We learn from each division as each has a different view-point. I believe you could call it "thinking out of the box". Now GM has all their sports cars in one box.

This decision is not necessarily bad, just not very innovative.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts