Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 GXP. Mileage 142K. I don't drive the car too often. More of a weekend car or once a week drive to work. I backed out of the driveway the other day and had no brake pressure, just right to the floor. After pumping the brakes a number of times I got the pressure back. Also, my "Sevice ESC" light came on. I am wondering if anyone has had this issue and knows a solution or can guide me to the fix. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Did the pressure stay up after you pumped it up? Like carolina said, check the easy stuff first. Puddle under the car? Brake fluid reservoir full? Any signs of brake fluid around the calipers?

·
Super Moderator
6,721 Posts
There is a known problem on start-up with the GXP and RL, basically caused by lack of vacuum in the booster. A vacuum pump was added later to provide vacuum at start-up.

One work-around is to bump the throttle a couple of times before moving the car, especially if it has been sitting for a while. Then check the pedal before moving. This was more noticeable in automatics, supposedly because drivers of manual transmissions tend to bump the throttle before putting the car in gear.

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
There is a known problem on start-up with the GXP and RL, basically caused by lack of vacuum in the booster. A vacuum pump was added later to provide vacuum at start-up.
I think that's only for early '08s (like mine) that had the pump removed as a running build change. 2007's like the OP's should not have that issue.

·
Super Moderator
6,721 Posts
I think that's only for early '08s (like mine) that had the pump removed as a running build change. 2007's like the OP's should not have that issue.
So maybe the fuse to the vacuum pump is blown? Vacuum pump power is through the lug on the side of the underhood fuse block, correct? Having a wire there indicates a pump, and should prompt a check of the fuse and then the pump. No wire there gets back to my original comment.

Fluid could be low, and that is easy to check. A bad master cylinder usually does not cause loss of fluid, since the "leak" typically goes back into the reservoir. Given the design of our cars, the puddle from that would be inside the footwell, since the leak path would be along the piston rod. Wheel cylinder leaks would leave fluid inside the wheels, so looking there would be worthwhile.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
As Soup and John have implied, the boost pump might well be the issue. I don't have a GXP but my F150 ecoboost motor had the same issue. About soiled myself starting it up to move it forward in the garage and thought I was going through the wall! Turned out that was a warranty issue on it at the time.

As the other members said, start the engine, rev the throttle a few times and see if you have brake pressure (the engine will build it eventually.) Next time you start, SAFELY fire it up and try the brake immediately and see if you have pedal fade. If you do, the vacuum booster is at fault.

Does anyone know of any patterns of the fuse failing on that pump? I don't recall that being an issue but hey, my memory sucks anymore and being an N/A owner I tend to gloss over the issues associated with the GXP . . .

:)

·
Super Moderator
6,721 Posts
I was told once that jump-starting the car using the battery lug on the fuse block would blow that fuse. I decided that the person thought that terminal was the battery lug.
Aside from that, I have not heard of any problems with the pump or its fuse.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Check the inside of your rear wheels and see if there is brake fluid on them. I had this issue and it's more common then most know here. The bleeder valve came loose on the rear caliper and caused me to loose brake fluid....

·
Super Moderator
16,152 Posts
Check the brake fluid reservoir. Is it full? Is it black?
The clutch and brakes share the same reservoir. If the reservoir is low or empty look for fluid on the ground.
The brake fluid is rated for a 3 year life. Have the fluid changed or do it yourself and inspect all the brake lines.

·
Registered
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Apologies for the delay in my response. I currently work out of state and have not had the chance to go through the brake situation.

I started up the GXP and had mild pressure when pumping. Once the engine was out of choke and idling I was going straight to the floor. I did note that the was no fluid going down the wheel wall or along the firewall. I did not see any fluid under the car, or by the wheel from visual inspection. The fluid in the master cylinder is dark but still has a yellow/green tint when tested. It is also filled.

I did note a lot of build upon this "module" (see pictures). Not sure what this part is or the function. I also visually looked at fuse 38 vacuum relay. Although I did not replace the fuse. The connections where all normal on the male and female ends.

Honestly, not sure where to go from here on my own or have it towed to the shop. Let me know the community's thoughts. Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,721 Posts
This may or may not have anything to do with your problem, but your reservoir cap is broken and has to be replaced. That fluid also looks pretty bad. The broken cap means that the fluid is almost certainly contaminated, so the first thing you should do is get that fluid out, then flush the system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts