Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking my NA coupe with DDMworks supercharger for a spin today.

During the first mile of the drive , I heard a metallic sound. Then at the next turn, I realized I had no power steering.
I turned around and went back home - slowly.

When I pulled in , I saw no fluid anywhere. I opened the hood and did not hear any strange noise. No codes either.

Once it stops raining, I'll have to to inspect the power steering belt.

Any other ideas ?

·
Super Moderator
7,000 Posts
I do not think there is a code for the power steering. What was the metallic sound? Grinding? Banging? Squealing?

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
If the power steering belt broke, you could have heard the belt banging around before it finally let go, or it could have been the idler pulley or the pump pulley. Power steering reservoir full? Fluid appear to be normal, no burnt smell coloring?

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Once I figured out what I was looking for, I discovered that the power steering belt broke.
The location of this belt is hidden by the supercharger on my car.
I could see it plain as day on my stock GXP, then I went searching for the same spot on the supercharged car.

I also discovered that my supercharger belt needs to be replaced.

a two-fer...

( power steering belt part number == Dayco 5030310 )

( my supercharger belt part number == Dayco 5060610 as per Dr Dave... )

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Once I figured out what I was looking for, I discovered that the power steering belt broke.
The location of this belt is hidden by the supercharger on my car.
I could see it plain as day on my stock GXP, then I went searching for the same spot on the supercharged car.

I also discovered that my supercharger belt needs to be replaced.

a two-fer...

( power steering belt part number == Dayco 5030310 )

( my supercharger belt part number == Dayco 5060610 as per Dr Dave... )
Glad it was just the belt. It should be easy to change from underneath.

·
Registered
319 Posts
You should check that your power steering pulleys (really just the tensioner) are still good.

A belt failure by itself is fairly uncommon in modern cars, and typically doesn't make much noise other than when the belt snaps and clunks around a time or two. Not a metallic noise and the power steering would have already gone out by the time you hear it.

A belt failure because the pulley bearing has corroded while sitting unused in storage for a while is incredibly common, and can make all sorts of mechanical noises before chucking or melting the belt off.

·
Super Moderator
7,000 Posts
Serpentine belt life is generally expected to be 60-100,000 miles, but that assumes "normal" driving which is 15,000 miles per year, more-or-less, so 6-7 years. Even EPDM deteriorates with age, so 11-14 years for OEM belts is probably getting into potential replacement age even with fewer miles. Fortunately it is pretty reliable to do a visual inspection of the belt. If there is cracking across either the front or the back, the belt needs to be replaced. If there isn't it is still good.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should check that your power steering pulleys (really just the tensioner) are still good.
Thanks - I will check it...

My car usually does not sit in the winter. I get to drive it frequently each week in NJ...

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Just replaced mine a few weeks ago, 50,000 miles and 12 years. Condition of the old belts was fair, some fraying and small cracks. Saw lots of recommendations for replacing idlers when ordering new belts, but I did not do it.

Better to do it in my garage and not along some highway.

I suggest you change main belt at the same time, you need the PS belt off to do it anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You might also be prepared for the possibility of the belt whacking a few things and setting a code in the next few weeks. When mine let go I had to buy that part by the radiator on the drivers side that I believe monitors engine cooling?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts