Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the past 2 months ive been busy with my sol some good and some not so good. well recently about 2 months ago i replace the transmission as the syncro gears for 2nd and 4th were bad.

had to take the seat out to get my tools and trans to the auto shop where i replaced it.

2012-08-01_10-50-12_53 by hammy221, on Flickr

if you ever did a trans or clutch on our cars you know what this is lol

2012-08-01_13-18-00_131 by hammy221, on Flickr

ready for install

2012-08-01_14-06-12_362 by hammy221, on Flickr

broke the clutch line

2012-08-02_14-48-52_99 by hammy221, on Flickr

bolting it in

2012-08-02_15-12-14_336 by hammy221, on Flickr

then after the trans i knew i needed new tires soon but didnt know i had a bad belt in one.

2012-06-13_05-18-52_259 by hammy221, on Flickr

new rubber

2012-06-13_13-51-17_685 by hammy221, on Flickr

2012-06-13_13-54-56_190 by hammy221, on Flickr

then i had a sag in my driver seat left side so i ordered a new seat foam and replaced it.
this is what i found was wrong with mine.

DSC03961 by hammy221, on Flickr

DSC03963 by hammy221, on Flickr

then i replaced my fog lamps as one had water in it and i also put new HIDs in them also as one bulb was burnt out. sorry no pictures of that.

well then i was on 395 north going towards the pentagon and DC and low and behold a rock flew up from a truck and chipped my windshield. well it started as smaller then a dime chip and well you can see where its at now from the pictures.

DSC04077 by hammy221, on Flickr

DSC04078 by hammy221, on Flickr

·
Registered
283 Posts
Did you replace the tranny or did you rebuild it. Also did you put a new clutch slave cylinder in or did you keep the original. I have my motor out and I want to do some syncro work and also I was thinking of replacing the slave cylinder. The clutch grabs way to low on the floor. Did you have the same problem or were you just ramming gears to make the tranny go. jonesy

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I didn't rebuild it i replace it I got a ultra low miles one from Dave at performance auto werks from a past conversion he did. I couldnt beat the price at all. As far as ramming gears didn't have to do that with my 2nd gear synchros gone it ground no matter what unless a faneced the gas pedal and going from 4th to 3th was nearly impossible. I heard when rebuilding these transmissions to make sure you replace the 3-and 4th gear shift fork as its not forged like the 1-2 fork and most guys who had trans issues that was the problem that the 3-4 fork bent or broke. Also I'm running a ddm stage 3 clutch and it's worked perfectly from day one in the car and I installed in about 5000 miles ago and when I changed it I replaced the slave cylinder and bearing with gm OEM to be cautious but the old one still worked great. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I will be changing the syncros and I did buy new forks too. My clutch is a stage 3 and I will be replacing the slave cylinder. I sure hope that is the problem with the clutch grabbing so low to the floor. I have a custom made shift lever with a Hurst T handle and a lin loc, it is a lot fun comming off the line with that set up, if only it would shift better.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Looks like fun Hammy. I had my trans out 3 times already. Finally replaced my whole trans and rear end with the GXP version with the torque bar. Funny thing is when I got it back together the last time, I tore a small hole in the clutch line. Had to pull the whole thing apart again to get to it. That wasn't fun. LOL

I will be changing the syncros and I did buy new forks too. My clutch is a stage 3 and I will be replacing the slave cylinder. I sure hope that is the problem with the clutch grabbing so low to the floor. I have a custom made shift lever with a Hurst T handle and a lin loc, it is a lot fun comming off the line with that set up, if only it would shift better.
I had the low clutch problem before. Replaced everything in the entire system including the actuator, the slave and the clutch itself. I ended up having to put a shim under the slave cylinder that solved the problem. Shim was simply a large 4" washer 1/8" thick with a couple of notches cut into it for the bolts. Running the clutch masters stage 4.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Looks like fun Hammy. I had my trans out 3 times already. Finally replaced my whole trans and rear end with the GXP version with the torque bar. Funny thing is when I got it back together the last time, I tore a small hole in the clutch line. Had to pull the whole thing apart again to get to it. That wasn't fun. LOL

I had the low clutch problem before. Replaced everything in the entire system including the actuator, the slave and the clutch itself. I ended up having to put a shim under the slave cylinder that solved the problem. Shim was simply a large 4" washer 1/8" thick with a couple of notches cut into it for the bolts. Running the clutch masters stage 4.
I already have the spacer for the slave cylinder. I think when I replace everything it will be fine. thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts