Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was spotted by 101jinx101 over at the Sky forum.
Saturn has updated their website www.saturn.com the SAME DAY Pontiac updated there's. They've now go official color options (and yes they get yellow), more detailed car information, downloads, 3 commercials for the car already., very revamped and nice and very informative website.

I really feel like the Sky is the younger sibling that gets everything the older sibling has to fight hard for. It's so dissapointing seeing this much official information this far away from delivery.

On the other hand it's always nice to get official info.

I'd like to point out they've changed the undercar graphic, it no longer has what we were assuming was the gas tank in the image anymore for some reason.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I really suggest going to the downloads section and looking at the Sky clock and Sky view donwloads. These two items are extremely cool. Why couldn't we have gotten these too? They're screen savers that automaticly update you with the latest official news feeds about the car.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Thanks brentil, I've pretty much stopped keeping up with Sky now so a little summary once in while over here is nice.

Amazing how much they have 9-10 months before it's available! Couple of things the Solstice doesn't even have only a few months away like color selector.

And wow they have 3 commercials too! Not bad but a completely different angle than the rock/roll Pontiac commercial. The initial Sky ones are playing to housewifes and future execs...interesting, seems like a more down-home kind of theme.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I was really amased at how much info they're getting so far out. We don't even have a color picker like they have!!! :brentil: Or yellow!!! :brentil:

Just seems like GM is focusing more effort on making sure people know what the Sky is compard to the Solstice. Partially because I think they're trying to re-invent Saturns image, and because I bet the Sky will make them more profit per car then the Solstice since it'll be base like $24,000 thanks to options. And I really bet the options don't cost GM that much compard to the car.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Of course by the time they update your screensaver we'll be out driving our Sols (hoping) But anyway, we've got a top up picture and Saturn doesn't. And their background music reminds me of the teletubbies solsticeman gave us. The middle commercial, the mom, grocery shopping, not in the Sky :lol: BTW three commercials and not a car picture among the three?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
achieftain said:
BTW three commercials and not a car picture among the three?
Yea pretty funny...just trying to push the theme for now since they are 10 months away from selling.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Thanks for keeping us informed. I too have stopped following Sky developments. I am bitter about the color options, maybe you are too, they get all our colors and two more! :brentil:

It's as though the Solstice designers spent so much time in there childhoods looking at black and white photos of James Dean in his Porsche, that they can only see the Solstice in black and white. Then someone higher up said, we have to have some color, and people expect the classic red, so they grudgingly gave us that, but on the blue and green, they picked ones as close to black as possible. In low light they pretty much look black. Saturn doesn't have this problem.

Come on Pontiac, throw us a bone, give us two more bright colors like Saturn did!

·
Registered
352 Posts
The pontiac is the purest design..and has been brought to market the way it was shown on the show circuit...

The sky can't really lay claim to that....

Its a combination of the european Vauxall and not done as well as the original show car...

It'll sell well and even if its got a web page etc..with colors.. all I can say is....its a knock off....and not done up as nicely as the more honest design of the Solstice...

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Thanks for the update on the Sky Brentil! I have to admit that I have not been keeping good track of what has been happening with the Sky either, other than the mentions on this forum!

With yellow on the Sky roaster, I wonder if they are in part aiming the car at a younger audience. Generally, marketers like to have plenty of bright colors on cars that they hope will attract younger buyers.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Based on that radio interview a few weeks back Pontiac looks to holding back some colors to introduce them in future years to jazz things up. Probably by the time Sky is out Solstice will also have the yellow out as a "special" 2006 color or something like that.

Personally judging from the TV ads Pontiac seems to be aiming for the younger crowd with a much more upbeat ad and Sky seems to be trying to attacking the mid-life crew.

Actually in thinking about it our polls have shown the Solstice plays well already with older crowd and Sky a little better with younger crowd so these ads are going after the opposite side trying to extend each car's core following.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
mceb said:
Based on that radio interview a few weeks back Pontiac looks to holding back some colors to introduce them in future years to jazz things up. Probably by the time Sky is out Solstice will also have the yellow out as a "special" 2006 color or something like that.
Yeah, I think that's what they're doing too. I just can't wait another year. :cryin:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
AeroDave said:
I am bitter about the color options, maybe you are too, they get all our colors and two more! :brentil:
It's as though the Solstice designers spent so much time in there childhoods looking at black and white photos of James Dean in his Porsche, that they can only see the Solstice in black and white. Then someone higher up said, we have to have some color, and people expect the classic red, so they grudgingly gave us that, but on the blue and green, they picked ones as close to black as possible. In low light they pretty much look black. Saturn doesn't have this problem.
Come on Pontiac, throw us a bone, give us two more bright colors like Saturn did!
On the radio interview ref'd on a sticky thread, said every six months they'd offer a new color. Hope you don't get one of the first 1000 delivered just in time for them to announce your first choice color will be next. (Guess it's obvious I'm now trying to talk people out of EOP to better my odds)

·
5,600 Posts
Some comments on this thread imply that GM is putting out more and better information for the Sky than for the Solstice. I don't think it is that complicated.

I think you are seeing the difference in philosophy and thinking between those in the 2 independent divisions. For some reason, the Pontiac brass have minimal features and information on their website. It looks to me like the Saturn brass see the value in having a good clear website with lots of exciting information, and the Saturn website reflects that openness and thinking.

I don't think GM Corporat is calling the shots on how much info is realeased on the web site or how it is displayed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts