Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this in case there is someone in the forum that might want to buy this car and fix it.
Brentil since you seem to be familiar with this car you may want to comment as to whether or not this thing is a good buy for someone that is willing to try to fix it them selfs.
here is the link to the Florida site in Miami:
http://www.casmiami.com/listings.asp?mode=displaycar&CAR=1089

·
Registered
284 Posts
That's very sad!!! Only 415 miles.

Of course I heard somewhere that like 60%-80% of Vipers don't make it from the dealership to home intact, but I can't remember where I heard that so I doubt it's very accurate.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
It's going to have to have entire panels replaced. The entire body is fiberglass like the Corvette so I'm seeing at least the entire[/] main rear body panel (very expensive), the rear bumper section panel, the rear quarter panels, and I see damage on the front quarter panels too where they've buckled. The exhaust system will have to be replaced since it's in the exact same place as the Solstice, it appears to have been totaly crushed. The rear underbody diffuser has been crushed and extends under the entire car. The wheel wells have been destroyed. The rear bumper needs to be bent back into place along with the frame in that area it appears. You have to remember this car is made of all aluminum for the space frame body. The trunk looks buckled in some so you'll have to bend it back, and fix all of its parts.

For an exotic sports car you're looking $10k+ in repairs I bet. The main rear body panel that you have to get from Lotus I'm betting will cost you at least $5k due to it being the largest panel on the car. The engine will more then likely be fine, but who knows about the rest of the suspension and transmission though.

However if I don't mind just repairing some panels instead of replacing them you would have to be really good at fiberglass work, or know someone who is. You could then get away with not replacing the entire rear panel, and just get the rear quarters and bumper section since those appear destroyed.

If you can do a lot of the work yourself (or someone you know to do it cheap) it would be worth it possibly. But if you start buying body panels from Lotus you're soon going to jump over the $39,995 base price of a new Elise with this $27,400 selling price.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts