Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I first saw it in media coverage of the 2002 Detroit Auto Show. I most likely saw it on TV first, then print media. When they showed the poruction prototype at the '04 NAIAS in Detroit, I drove the 5 hours to Detroit from Buffalo to see it right away in person. It was snowing the day I went, but I made it!!

Why do I love it? I dunno. First and foremost I think it has knockout styling. After that, I am also a Pontiac sports car fan from my years of Fiero ownership, and am excited to see Pontiac getting ready to sell a new 2 seater sports car. I am also a Miata fan (although it is a little small for my tastes) and am equally excited to see GM go head to head with Mazda.

But overall its the prospect of having a great looking, great handling, fun to drive sports car at an affordable price that has me most excited! This car is simply awesome! :thumbs

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I first saw it on the pontiac website. I saw a comercial for the first G6 during the olympics. and thought i'd check it out. Then I saw the future vehicales link. The solstice came up and i imediately searched the web for more imformation. That's how I found this site. suprising i hadn't seen it before, I usually check out pictures from the shows.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I first saw it in a car magazine covering the shows this year. Went on line, found this site, and just got more and more sold on the Solstice.

I love it because I was preparing to buy a new Miata next year because I have never owned a roadster before and I'm officialy planning for my mid-life crisis now. Out of all the roadsters out there that I could actually justify investing in, the Miata was my favorite. Not because of low cost, because I could spend way more, but because it is light, small, simple and has a more retro look that I love. All of those aspects very much appeal to me. I have rented many Miatas when I travel, and every time I have a good time, inspite of having to duck under the windshield header to see traffic lights, kinda wimpy HP and a damb automatic trans.

I was also considering the Honda S2000, but I am not crazy about the Honda engine (it's too much of a wind up car), and much to the horror of many, I actually prefer the styling of the Miata. Because of these things I couldn't justify the additional 10k for the Honda. Everything changed when I saw the Solstice. The Solstice promises to be everything the Miata is and way more, and I much prefer to buy American if I can. It's unique, simple, stylish and very affordable. To find a roadster I like better, I would have to spend 10's of thousands more, and I would rather spend that extra money on a new plane.

How can you not love the Solstice?? (Says the man completely smitten with his mail order bride before ever meeting her!) :cheers

·
Registered
600 Posts
I heard someone talking about it at work and looked up this forum. WOW! This car caught my attention. I had planned on purchasing an SSR, but the wife didn't like it. She's ok with the Solstice. Our youngest is 16 and the others have dispersed to all corners of the country. Can't wait to get in and ride into the next day where ever it lands us. Still, waiting is the hard part. We had a 61 vette in 1980, sold it and started a family. This should appease our dreaded decision.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Read alot of stories about the prototype. Even then they were saying it could be made for under 20K. I also have always wanted a Miata, since I was jealous of my buddies with their TR-6's and MGB's in high school. I just couldn't fit in one comfortably. I used this to justify buying a Sebring in the mid 90's. I loved it until it did an imitation of the Bluesmobile at the end of "Blues Brothers".

Was watching carefully at the rollout of the production model Solstice, and after seeing that GM hadn't screwed it up, knew I was going to buy one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
First time I saw the Solstice was at Pontiac.com. As soon as I saw it, I thought wow, that looks really good and going to be priced very high. But to my surprise MSRP was $20,000. I knew right then it would be my next car!!!! :thumbs :jester :cool

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I first saw the Solstice back in 2002 when Popular Science ran an article about the extramly fast prototyping and development of the Solstice. I was really impressed with it by the engineering standpoint. The car looked pretty damn good too, but it was a prototype/show car, those enver make it to market. So I stopped following it till the begining of this year when I was looking for new cars. I was on a waiting list so I wasn't getting a Lotus Elise, Lancer Evo VIII was having tranny issues with year one models and gets 18mpg on 91 octane, Miata looked good but was under powered from the factory, I really like the MR2 Spyder but it is also even more under powered. That's when I remembered the Solstice, and went looking for it. I found this site after I started looking.

·
Registered
275 Posts
err note that the Pontiac Page now says "Estimated starting MSRP around $20,000."
a) "starting" means "whatever possible is an option".
b) "around $20,000" probably means closer to $22,500

BTW I agree that the first 911s were for the gods - they were the only ones who could drive them. There were so many "incidents" that the 1969 models had the wheelbase extended by over 2" replacing the ballast previously added to the bumpers for stability.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, the Pontiac site has said that for a while now it seems. The edmunds.com review that came out after Pontiac put the "Estimated starting MSRP around $20,000" quotes Pontiac spokesman Jim Hopson as saying...

"We're going to offer a model of this car for under $20,000," Hopson said. "That's a line in the sand." He assured us the base model would retail at $19,995 when the Solstice arrives in showrooms next year.
Hopefully this information is still good.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah there is way too much conflicting information from within Pontiac itself to make a sound judgement, it's just too early to be sure of two of the most important factors about this car, the aforementioned price (of course we'd all like to see it under 20k), and release date... which I have stated before has been quoted as both fall '05 and summer '05 (by Pontiac).

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
padgett said:
err note that the Pontiac Page now says "Estimated starting MSRP around $20,000."
a) "starting" means "whatever possible is an option".
b) "around $20,000" probably means closer to $22,500

BTW I agree that the first 911s were for the gods - they were the only ones who could drive them. There were so many "incidents" that the 1969 models had the wheelbase extended by over 2" replacing the ballast previously added to the bumpers for stability.
Good to see you back Padgett!

The Pontiac website has had that statement on it for a while. However, there is still reason to be optimistic! Have you seen the fairly recent Edmunds.com article on the Solstice prototype? In that article, a GM official is quoted as saying the base price will be something like $19,990. That may not be the exact number he gave, but it was right under $20K. I’d be surprised to see it all the way up at $22.5K! Keep the faith!! (I know, I know, don’t buy into the automaker promises!)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I just remember the "loss leader" Fiero in 1984. No options available and the really long transaxle is now sought after for V-8 conversions. You had to move up at least one model to get a/c.

And then there is the "ugly stylist", the one that mucks up the taillights and adds odd chrome pieces to make it obvious that you didn't buy the TOL.

OTOH GM also has a history of "doing it right" for the first year and then decontenting in later years can see in any number of lines but the 77 Phoenix (first Americancar with single rectangular headlamps) and 88 Reatta come to mind.

So it is possible that the first year will be a pilot with all of the good stuff but low production, and lots that become optional in the following years.

Is possible but I would be really surprised if there was no automatic transmission available. With paddles yet.

·
4,592 Posts
My Wife saw it on Regis and Kelly, and she liked the look enough to tell me about it. I then started to look it up online, and found this forum, and have been visiting just about every day since.

I like the solstice as it brings me back to my youth of driving one fiat spyder, and two MGB roadsters. Nothing like a cool convertible! My wife says it's the only sportscar she has liked for a long time.

The solstice is one good looking car, we can't wait to see one in person, we hope it lives up to it's potential!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts