Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just changed a couple days ago the intake cam advance actuator. Today i found low power, i can only get up to 3 psi of boost. Sometimes the brake pedal gets hard so it makes me think there could be a vacuum/boost leak. I did notice today some damage to the intercooler, apparently from hitting a bumper block at some time.

Do you think it's a boost leak? @ the intercooler?

Edit: Pulled a code, P0101, Mass air error. I gather this can indicate a boost leak?
This car since new never boosted more than 14 psi and i didn't know that wasn't normal. I understand this is an electronic soft limit when the computer senses something odd. Could be it always had a tiny leak and now it got worse?

In the morning i will check the wastegate nuts, look for a loose hose or loose clamp.

Edit 2: After more research here, i discovered that i have a bloated intercooler. I also found the intake clamp was not very tight. T bolt clamps are on order. am considering my options regarding the intercooler. a stock intercooler is $300 from gmpartsdirect. can i really justify to myself the price of a ddm or dejon intercooler?

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track. The Intercoolers seem to be a bit fragile, and if you see damage, it's very likely you have a leak... the other symptoms support it too.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
If you are staying with stock tune, I would not pay the extra difference for an upgraded intercooler.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just ordered the trifecta budget tune. I'm still debating back and forth between getting the stock intercooler for 390 or the hahn for 640, including shipping. i can almost replace the intercooler again with the money i save. i'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
You do realize that the IC is covered by the 100,000 mile/5 year power train warranty?

GM has now put two new ICs in my car. One for "ballooning" and one for "split end tank".

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately i bought my Sol july 9, 2007 so i am beyond the 5 yrs. I wound up ordering the Hahn intercooler. Combined with the Trifecta budget tune, my Dejon CAI, and Magnaflow Catback, the car should be a lot of fun to drive afterwards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts