Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comes on randomly. It will not stay online enough for the code to read. Anyone else had this happen? Car is not running hot.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I'll bite, i'm bored. Is the coolant low in the tank?

Did you recently open up the system, change the fluid/water pump?

What year what is the mileage?

·
Super Moderator
16,422 Posts
My experience has been that the low coolant warning came on when the fluid level in the overflow tank was low. I added a small amount of fluid to bring the level up to the center of the tank and the light went out. Have you checked your levels?

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Bad sensor or more likely low level. If low level, probably on your way to replacing a water pump. Check passenger side front of the engine for evidence of coolant.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
a little air in the system would cause this too. easy test / fix if you have an air compressor and a blow gun attachment.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've been having the same thing happen too, maybe once every couple of weeks or so. And only when coming to a stop. I'm assuming the levels are low and gonna check today when I get off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello folks. I've been experiencing the same problem in my 2007 Solstice GXP. When I go a little faster and then come to a stop, the car beeps a few times and the coolant light comes on. Has anybody solved this problem already? Thank you.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Hello folks. I've been experiencing the same problem in my 2007 Solstice GXP. When I go a little faster and then come to a stop, the car beeps a few times and the coolant light comes on. Has anybody solved this problem already? Thank you.
Sounds like you might have the notorious waterpump issue. How many miles on your car? Between 40k and 60k? If you know where the WP is, look at it and see if you see any orange fluid or gel type substance....if so, it's time for a WP.... Hope that's not the case, but the alternative is even more expensive.

You might just need to add coolant, but if your using/loosing coolant, it's going somewhere. Especially if it becomes frequent (more then 3 times a year)

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
Did you check the coolant level in the tank? It should be at the seam in the middle of the tank. If the coolant gets low then when you come to a stop the fluid sloshes forward in the tank a little bit and the light will come on. Once the level normalizes the light will go off. If the coolant level has gone down though, there is a reason and is something that you will want to look into. Normally if the coolant level is starting to go down at all then you need to check the waterpump for leaks since that is the most common point for leaks.

Hope that helps,
Dave

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did you check the coolant level in the tank? It should be at the seam in the middle of the tank. If the coolant gets low then when you come to a stop the fluid sloshes forward in the tank a little bit and the light will come on. Once the level normalizes the light will go off. If the coolant level has gone down though, there is a reason and is something that you will want to look into. Normally if the coolant level is starting to go down at all then you need to check the waterpump for leaks since that is the most common point for leaks.

Hope that helps,
Dave
Thank you for the reply Dave. I bought the car at 47,000 miles and now I'm at 63,000. I never even opened the coolant tank since I got it one and a half years ago so I'll try to add some dex-cool and see if that solves the problem. I saw here in the forum that I shouldn't open the coolant tank on a hot or warm car, but the question is: Is it ok to open it when the car is cool?

·
Super Moderator
16,422 Posts
When the coolant is hot there is pressure in the system and it is changing in volumn as it cools. If the car is sitting so that the overflow tank is not the highest point in the system, it is possible that as the coolant cools it can injest an air bubble. The air bubble can then cause problems with cooling and the functionality of the heater to warm the passanger compartment. It is known safe if the coolant is at a constant temperature and thus not changing volumn, and if the car is parked such that the coolant tank is the highest point in the cooling system.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'll bite, i'm bored. Is the coolant low in the tank?
Now there you go being practical again! Why wouldn't someone check the coolant level when the low coolant light came on? Ya got me there.

Maybe it's easier to log into a discussion board to have strangers confirm what the light is telling you to check. Okay sorry,:lol: I'll stop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello: I may have air in my cooling system, as I just had my coolant drained and refilled (bought a used Solstice and thought it would be good to have fluids changed). Coolant light comes on for just a second and then goes out. Question: how do I "burp" the system?

It also could be the float switch, since both times it happened the coolant temp. was fine (around 203) and happened under identical circumstances - while taking a very tight right-hand exit ramp.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,636 Posts
Hello: I may have air in my cooling system, as I just had my coolant drained and refilled (bought a used Solstice and thought it would be good to have fluids changed). Coolant light comes on for just a second and then goes out. Question: how do I "burp" the system?

It also could be the float switch, since both times it happened the coolant temp. was fine (around 203) and happened under identical circumstances - while taking a very tight right-hand exit ramp.

Thanks.
That does not look to me like air in the system, since an air bubble is most likely to cause high temperature and not low coolant.

What is the coolant level when the engine is cold, and when it is at operating temperature? You may have had an air bubble that purged itself, and now the level is a bit low.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the reply, John. I just looked and with engine cold it is low - only in the bottom third of the tank, not at the midway seam. So it looks like I need to add some more. *** I immediately checked the right front of the engine bay and I don't see any leakage so that's good, doesn't appear to be a water pump issue. Just got the car last week - 2006 with 55,000 miles.

I will add some more Dexcool. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts