Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

OK so that's how low my coolant is when hot (93C)... dealer still doesn't have my pump yet, and they refused to give me a rental because they say GMPP only covers 3 days, and I don't want to buy a whole jug of 4L coolant just to top up that wee bit...

Can I still drive without detonating something?

·
Registered
834 Posts
I think shabby meant, it'll go up a bit when its hot.

In my opinion, at the very least, go out and buy a jug of distilled/deionized water, for like $1-2, and top up.

And then, figure out where you're leaking coolant from. Even if it's a small weeping leak and not a full on dripping one, you're losing coolant from somewhere. Many have had a slow leak from the water pump, which resulted in the water pump being replaced, which seems to be somewhat common on this platform.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the pump alright... that's what I'm waiting from the dealer. :lol:

And actually that is hot, 93 degrees Celsius. So I think better find some distilled water, except that BOTH Wal-Mart and Superstore were completely sold out just now....

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Owner's manual asks to: "Check when cold."

A bit of any plain ole "drinkable" water at this point would be OK... if necessary.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
I'd pitch a fit with the dealer. I don't care what the warrant says it covers, GM can't get you a part they need to pop for a rental. I've had a '12 Impala for about 3 weeks and counting waiting for a cat.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'd pitch a fit with the dealer. I don't care what the warrant says it covers, GM can't get you a part they need to pop for a rental. I've had a '12 Impala for about 3 weeks and counting waiting for a cat.
I tried. But they said my cat issue isn't "rendering the car undriveable" so it's not covered under the special coverage, and the coolant issue was through GMPP. They say the difference is that GMPP is actually NOT by GM but a third party company, and their policy is 3 days only.

Picked up a jug of 4L distilled water, so I think I'm okay for now as long as the leak doesn't all of a sudden erupt and leave me stranded on the highway.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I tried. But they said my cat issue isn't "rendering the car undriveable" so it's not covered under the special coverage, and the coolant issue was through GMPP. They say the difference is that GMPP is actually NOT by GM but a third party company, and their policy is 3 days only.

Picked up a jug of 4L distilled water, so I think I'm okay for now as long as the leak doesn't all of a sudden erupt and leave me stranded on the highway.
Don't waste your time with the dealer. Get the service manager's name, and contact GM customer service. Watch how quickly the dealership suddenly changes their mind about what's covered, gets very apologetic, and offers you free shwag like oil changes.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Done... e-mail sent to GMCL. Conveniently the dealer listed everyone's name on their own website. :p

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
If the car is running at 93(C) that is only 199(F). That is well within the temp range that it can be operated safely.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Done... e-mail sent to GMCL. Conveniently the dealer listed everyone's name on their own website. :p
I have only ever taken my Sky into the dealer when it was a warranty issue since I bought her new in 2008. I do all maintenance.

The dealership is basically broken into 2 with the service department in the middle. "Premium" on one side, and other on the other. So Hummer, Saab, and nicer cars had one side with a nicer waiting room with wi-fi, flat screen, one of those one-serve packet coffee making machines, while the other side had a drop coffee maker and a smaller tube tv. I guess because the Sky is considered premium, I was also guaranteed a loaner as long as I booked my appointment ahead of time, and not just show up. When I had door sill problems (metal strip was lifting), and another plastic piece for the gas filler area under warranty, twice, I booked an appointment to bring it in, have the problem I explained inspected/verified, they tell me they don't have the part, but will call me when it comes in to schedule another appointment. And both times I go the second time, and someone tells me, I don't know why someone called you but the part isn't in yet, your car is ready for pick up.

I already have my concerns about letting a dealership touch my car obviously. And this made me even more worried. If their service department have their heads up their asses that badly, I don't know if I want them even touching my car. Plus the hassle of getting up early, dropping the car off, getting home late after picking up the car, and driving ****box G5s. So I try to contact the service manager to express my concerns before bringing my car back in now that they apparently have the parts. He ignores me for over a week even though I'm in contact with the service department, and leaving him e-mails and voicemails. I contact GM CS, and in like 3-4 hours, he calls me and leaves a very apologetic e-mail. And they send me a free-oil change voucher as a result.

I come back months later for the free oil change. I clarify that they will use Mobil 1 synthetic. Service writer says, nope, this voucher is only for a non-synthetic oil change. I say, forget it then, I'll take it up with GM CS, and let them know the voucher they sent me can't be used. Oh, surprise surprise, service manager comes out, apologizes, says, do the synthetic, we'll make it work, "will even eat the cost if we have to". He obviously remembers me from the previous encounter. I pick up the car, the invoice says they billed 6L. I give them the benefit of the doubt that they got a little extra just in case, but didn't put it in because they're smart enough to not over fill. WRONG! It's way over filled.

That was the last time my car went to a dealership.:brentil:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thing is the dealer actually is okay in general, MUCH better than the others I've dealt with before. It's only this jackass ('scuse my language) gave me the GFY look and tried to brush me off, simply because my original service advisor was not in.

In hindsight I totally should've wrote to GMCL about the other dealer who gave me the defective wheel locks as well with the car. Cost me $200 to get them off and had to drill my winters to get at them. Mechanic told me the wheel lock key was previously under pressure hence it was damaged.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the car is running at 93(C) that is only 199(F). That is well within the temp range that it can be operated safely.
It's not the operating temperature I'm concerned about too much, more so it's the leak erupting all of a sudden, THEN my car discharges itself of all the coolant.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, GMCL got back, and confirmed that I am cover for FIVE days, and the service advisor was just outright lying to me and asking me to GTFO...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Faint whine 2-3k... the infamous supercharger installed free with the water pump??

·
Registered
834 Posts
Faint whine 2-3k... the infamous supercharger installed free with the water pump??
Are you serious?!:brentil:

If it is an issue of improper procedure regarding the tensioner during the water pump replacement, if you address it quickly, you might only need a tensioner adjustment and not more damage.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I know what it is from all the research here... but issue is getting to convince advisors that it's a problem.

GM seems to have the worst service writers ever to deal with and will do anything to deny a warranty claim.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually on a second thought... I might just be paranoid.

To determine if it's really just me here's one question: how loud is that whine? Is it soft enough to be drowned out by the A/C compressor running inside car?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts