Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
OK, here's some data:
2005 Mustang has an MSRP of $19.890
it includes A/C and a single CD.
Add 16" wheels for $150 (Solstice has 18" standard!)
Total $20,050

2006 Solstice has an MSRP of $19,995 (one year younger)
Add A/C $960
Add single CD $195-->$0 Oops, that's standard. That was MP3.
Thanks, Fortimir.
Total $21,150-->$20,955

OOPS, forgot to add convertible to Mustang $4725
and soft boot $115 (Solstice has hard cover!)
Total $24,980

Not even close. And for styling?
Not even on the same planet!

Remember, don't ask an accountant for details. Boy, does he have details! :)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
gizmo2004 said:
OOPS, forgot to add convertible to Mustang $4725
and soft boot $115 (Solstice has hard cover!)
Total $24,980

What does it cost to get 9.7 cu. ft of luggage space on the Solstice? (ducking) ;)

·
4,592 Posts
Does the mustang come in a 4 banger?

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
LBJay said:
What does it cost to get 9.7 cu. ft of luggage space on the Solstice? (ducking) ;)
touchè! :)

I don't know which way the accent on "e" goes.

And the same to RODEO. But the horsepower is 210 vs 177, and the Solstice is much lighter, so not a total kill on that point. :)

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
LBJay said:
Not much if you leave the passenger at home. :)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
TOY4TWO said:
Mustang doesn't have an independant rear suspension.

The Mustang isn't as advanced of a car. More of a straight line car.
Depending on the car and IRS design. Don't discount what a well designed live axle set up can do. Many a Mustang Cobra IRS has been pulled and replace with an advanced design live axle setup. And it wasn't for use in straight lines.

The 05 Mustang did quite well in Grand-Am GS with many wins over BMW, Porsche, Cadillac, Nissan and Pontiac.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
cwt137 said:
I just saw a tv add from Ford that said that the Mustang starts at less than $20K. I thought they cost more. Did they do this to compete against the solstice?
Nope. The Mustang is in a class by itself. It's a pony car. There are no other 2+2 RWD sports cars on the market right now. You can get a Hyundai Sonata for under $20,000 too, but that doesn't make it a Solstice competitor.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
cwt137 said:
If this post is correct, GM sees it as competition.
This doesn't mean that the Mustang is considered direct competition!

In case nobody can figure out what that post really means...

GM is basing the second 4mo allocation on two things:

1) The dealerships total Pontiac sales in the last year AND
2) The current sales of other convertibles by competitors in that area.

That's why you see the Mustang on that particular list as well as some of those other cars that are way out of the Solstice's class; 350Z, S2000, Audi TT...

·
Registered
527 Posts
stang said:
Nope. The Mustang is in a class by itself. It's a pony car. There are no other 2+2 RWD sports cars on the market right now. You can get a Hyundai Sonata for under $20,000 too, but that doesn't make it a Solstice competitor.

Ahem. *GTO*

·
Registered
16 Posts
SkyCaptain said:
Ahem. *GTO*
Gto only counts if it goes on a serious diet. Gto is a potential 12 sec car that has troube getting into the 13's because it carries way too much weight. It is as close to a "sports car" as a '58 T-bird. Mustang is on track to sell 192,000 cars this year. Not bad for a class of car that G.M. announced had no market when they chose to kill off the f-body.

·
Registered
340 Posts
apples and oranges. Both fine cars IMHO.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
stang said:
I TALKED TO A PERSON THAT WAS LOOKING AT THE MUSTANG AND THE SOLSTICE AND SAID HE WOULD TAKE THE SOLSTICE OVER THE MUSTANG. MUST BE COMPETITION

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
dave clancy said:
I TALKED TO A PERSON THAT WAS LOOKING AT THE MUSTANG AND THE SOLSTICE AND SAID HE WOULD TAKE THE SOLSTICE OVER THE MUSTANG. MUST BE COMPETITION
What I meant was by "types" of cars. You're right. Anything goes on a personal shopping list. So I guess it IS competition, but it's NOT a competitor. ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts