Super Moderator
15,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came across this on a thread from 07

https://forum.efilive.com/archive/index.php/t-5753.html

The current LS2-edit locks by default, But the tuner can check a box
to not lock the file. We are working on a release that will unlock by
default and make the programmer select lock if needed. The default
setting has caused problems were tuners don't realize they are locking.
Any LS2-edit tuner can unlock the E40 ECM.

and

Yes this is why he said he did that in a later email. But he also said a tech 2 will overwrite the lock so there is no point in the lock.

If I am reading this correctly it says that if you have a key for LS2 edit you can unlock any ECM?

One of the challenges with converted cars, Mallet and others, has been the ECM is locked so you cant access it with HP tuners. If the above is true, theoretically anyone with a key, like both Dave's, can unlock the ECM to allow tuning by anyone.

Anyone have any information about this?

·
Super Moderator
15,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
139 Posts
I can appreciate what the developer of LS edit has done in terms of making LS-swaps into a Solstice possible, but the software is no longer actively maintained, and in terms of usability, it's way behind the other tuning packages, particularly in the UI for tuning and writing out to the ECM.

Unlocking a LS edit ECM so it can be tuned on someone else's copy of LS edit isn't a super-useful thing.

The real value is in taking a LS edit ECM and unlocking it for use with other software packages. "Unlocking" it from LS edit means you can put a stock flash on it, not that you can use the existing tune with another tuning package. That's not something that is built into LS edit, or hp tuners/efi live, but it's definitely worth the (considerable) effort. I don't know hp tuners real well, but I've converted several of these ECMs to efi live.

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
@slab8

If it's the same OS on the ECM, just reading the calibration tables would be enough. If it's a different OS, "unlocking it for use with other software packages" is a pipe dream.

I'm not super-familiar with this particular application, but it's a bit more involved than just letting other tuning applications have at it.

In any case: overwriting with HP Tuners is easily doable. *Reading* a locked tune is something else, and is entirely up to HP Tuners. Write-only is not something that's natively supported by the ECM. HPT writes a flag and/or a code into some free space in the tune, and checks that before it'll let you read the flash contents.

It's software, not rocket surgery.

·
Registered
139 Posts
@slab8

If it's the same OS on the ECM, just reading the calibration tables would be enough. If it's a different OS, "unlocking it for use with other software packages" is a pipe dream.

I'm not super-familiar with this particular application, but it's a bit more involved than just letting other tuning applications have at it.

In any case: overwriting with HP Tuners is easily doable. *Reading* a locked tune is something else, and is entirely up to HP Tuners. Write-only is not something that's natively supported by the ECM. HPT writes a flag and/or a code into some free space in the tune, and checks that before it'll let you read the flash contents.

It's software, not rocket surgery.
LS edit is using (more than one) custom OS, not sure yet if the different OSes were down to the details of the swap (wiring harness), or enhancements over time. Probably a combination of the two?

Not sure where you got 'write only' out of my post, but that's not what I was saying.

I am saying that have taken several LS edit ECMs, unlocked them, extracted the custom OS & the calibrations, then patched up the custom OS, and programmed it back to the ECM for use with other tuning packages.

I'll also say that it's not just software, there's a bit of hardware involved in the unlock/extraction phase. ;)

·
Registered
914 Posts
Mallett unlock

I have had the Mallett tuned, so I am assuming they were able to unlock the tune that Mallett used. But, I have never found anybody who could get the cruise control working, or re-calibrate my speedo for the twenty inch tires. Rob, any ideas on this?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have had the Mallett tuned, so I am assuming they were able to unlock the tune that Mallett used. But, I have never found anybody who could get the cruise control working, or re-calibrate my speedo for the twenty inch tires. Rob, any ideas on this?
Re-calibrating the speedometer readout is super-easy, even in LS edit. Dunno what to say if your previous tuner can 'tune' the car, but not adjust that.

Unfortunately, I can't say I have any insight into CC working.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2006 came equipped with RKE remote keyless entry, however as of lately, it does not work. I have replaced the fobs, the module, used a Tech tool to program new fobs to open slots, re-programmed, and nothing. Checked applicable fuses in BCM & fuse block. Power locks engage during driving. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
15,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately Ken was unresponsive. But he is old LOL. Inside joke.

I have been talking with Werks Dave. He has had some success with unlocking the ECM and tuning it with a different tune and also tuning with ls1 edit. He is looking at my tune and last run data and will make a recommendation.

You should give him a call. Right now he appears to be the best path for us.

Nice to hear from you. Long time no see. :grin:

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have been talking with Werks Dave. He has had some success with unlocking the ECM and tuning it with a different tune and also tuning with ls1 edit. He is looking at my tune and last run data and will make a recommendation.

You should give him a call. Right now he appears to be the best path for us.
You might want to check who has been unlocking & converting those LS edit ECMs for Dave.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It depends on whether I have the LS edit dongle the ECM is locked to or not.
I built a box that plugs in between the ECM and the LS edit dongle to capture the encryption keys. Extracting those usually takes less than a couple hours if I have the matching LS edit dongle.
I can also brute-force things if the LS edit dongle is missing or unavailable, but that takes a bit over a week. :/

Once I have the keys, I'm able to unlock the the ECM so it can be flashed w/o LS edit, but that's not good enough alone, as the custom OS isn't recognizable by other tuning software. So far almost every one I've done has a different OS, so I have to manually convert it into a format that's usable and editable in another package. Once that's done, it's just like any other ECM for purposes of tuning.

·
Super Moderator
15,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for that info. I have my key. Dave is looking at my current tune, which is running well but could be improved.

If you have the key is this something you can do remotely? Without the ECM I mean

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks for that info. I have my key. Dave is looking at my current tune, which is running well but could be improved.

If you have the key is this something you can do remotely? Without the ECM I mean
Unlocking & converting the ECM requires having the ECM in my possession, unfortunately. I extract the key via snooping on the communications between the LS edit dongle and the ECM.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Dave at Werks told me LS2-Edit can now be replaced with EFI Live on the V8 cars and tuned like a modern LS setup. This should be great news to anyone with a swap.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts