Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
It has been done but has challenges.
The first issue is getting a tune. With perhaps a couple of exceptions all conversions done to date that I know about used ls1 edit tune which you can get from Werks or DDM. I have seen at least two conversions done without the tune but the basically gave up on the car factory electronics that depend on the interface between the ECM and the BCM. They used old school gauges connected to the engine as the BCM gets its data from the ECM for most of the gauges associated with operations.

The second issue is the wiring. Unless you are going stand alone LS swap, you need a modified cable set that supports the swap. Werks sells a "kit" that you can customize with Dave that could include the mounts, wiring, and a tune. You can order basically what you want to match the engine type and the power level you want.

I don't think DDM is doing conversions any more as they are a lot of work. But Werks is. Talk with Dave and get his input.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I figured wiring would've been an obstacle for sure. I did see the kits for sale and was actually considering those. What about the rear differential?

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Others may know way more than me, but since PAW offers 600hp axles, I assume the rear end is good except those?

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
I can tell you I watched part of an LS3 swap....and there were many parts that he had to fabricate himself that just weren't available. So if you can't weld and bend...good luck.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I figured wiring would've been an obstacle for sure. I did see the kits for sale and was actually considering those. What about the rear differential?
I have the stock GXP differential and axels. I drive the car quickly on the road but don't race it. As long as you don't turn off the traction control and stability control, put on wider sticky tires and dump the clutch at 5000 RPM, the factory parts are fine. Basically the traction with stock sized tires, even sticky ones, is good enough to give very good performance but the wheels will break loose and the TC will cut power before anything in the drive line breaks.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
If I did a LSx swap I would change to one of the taller ratios from the CTS.
I find that the first five gears are close together and if it was only a 5 speed I would agree with you. But in 6th at 75 the LS is ticking over at 1800 RPM and returning 26 MPG in cruise mode. If I had unlimited money, I might have changed the rear end ratio, but I have not regretted leaving the stock one in for the swap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses! Just what I was looking for. I'm still going to ponder the idea since I do have access to a car lift, welder, and pretty much any of the tools I'd need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts