Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have we established FOR CERTAIN that the LSD is a clutch-type? i.e. have any of the engineers stated so? The 40-page brochure leads me to believe otherwise.

brochure *"plate"* 12 said:
...Available as a performance option, the limited-slip differential typically divides power equally to Solstice's rear wheels. Yet on compromised surfaces like snow, gravel, or ice it sends power to the one with greatest traction...
It states that the LSD will actually send power to the wheel with more traction. That leads me to believe it's a Torsen-type. I'm sure we've debated this before, and it seems like we reached the consensus that we will have a clutch-type LSD (because it's inexpensive, and the CTS-V is equipped with a clutch-type in the same case... etc)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Last time I talked to my dealer he said the order code for the LSD was the same as the one in the CTS. Maybe CC or SD know more about this though.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, Primus or Excelsior... could one of you take your differential apart and take pics of the greasy bits for us?
:jester:

OK, how about just doing some donuts in a parking lot and taking some pics of the rubber on the ground for us?
:devil: :willy:

·
Registered
126 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Have we established FOR CERTAIN that the LSD is a clutch-type? i.e. have any of the engineers stated so? The 40-page brochure leads me to believe otherwise.

It states that the LSD will actually send power to the wheel with more traction. That leads me to believe it's a Torsen-type. I'm sure we've debated this before, and it seems like we reached the consensus that we will have a clutch-type LSD (because it's inexpensive, and the CTS-V is equipped with a clutch-type in the same case... etc)
I hope it is the Torsen type. The maintenance is easier as you need no extra lubricant, and they do not wear out like the clutch type ...

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
faultline said:
I hope it is the Torsen type. The maintenance is easier as you need no extra lubricant, and they do not wear out like the clutch type ...

Hey! Maybe that's a way to check. Anyone with an owner's manual willing to check the specifications section and see if it maybe calls for a slip additive in the rear gear oil?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I have it on excellent authority it is indeed a clutch type, pretty much out of the CTS.

At this time, there are no indications of a TorSen being available in the near future.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Both helical gear and clutch type LSD's do that

2KWK4U said:
brochure *"plate"* 12 said:
...Available as a performance option, the limited-slip differential typically divides power equally to Solstice's rear wheels. Yet on compromised surfaces like snow, gravel, or ice it sends power to the one with greatest traction...
Both types of differentials can be described with the same "...divides power equally... ...it sends power to the [wheel] with more traction." So, from the language in the "brochure," there is no indication which type of differential is being used.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.