Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if it has been covered or not (I did a quick search and didn't find it already)...

I just received a magazine from Pontiac called "Performance" which has a one page blurb on the Solstice. Pretty much the same old info, but one of the highlights listed is "Available limited slip differential". :thumbs I hadn't heard that before, but maybe I've just been blind. :cool

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Sweet. Wonder what else you'll have to buy to get the limited slip? Knowing GM, it will come in a package with bigger rims, an ash tray, cruise control, and a sunroof (ha! sunroof!). Oh, and a glovebox light.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If they are serious about autocrossing, it is essential. Nothing worse than to make a perfect swing through a gate and sit there while the inside rear tire just slings rubber.

·
Registered
535 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Sweet. Wonder what else you'll have to buy to get the limited slip? Knowing GM, it will come in a package with bigger rims, an ash tray, cruise control, and a sunroof (ha! sunroof!). Oh, and a glovebox light.
Nothing more frustrating then when OEM's tie in completely unrelated options.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
padgett said:
If they are serious about autocrossing, it is essential. Nothing worse than to make a perfect swing through a gate and sit there while the inside rear tire just slings rubber.
Mmmm-Hmmm.:agree

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
padgett said:
I don't understand who "they" are. Has Pontiac mentioned the word autocross in their literature or in person relating to the Solstice? I highly doubt they are serious even if they have mentioned it.

I would liken that to the free SCCA membership that came with the purchase of an Impreza WRX (at least the first year they were available in the states). Subaru expressly stated that while they give you the SCCA membership, they don't endorse driving Subarus competitively. And to do so will instantly void the warranty, etc. etc. Something to that effect. Nice, huh?

Theorhetically, they could check with the SCCA to see if you've entered your WRX in competition using your membership, then refuse to replace your warped rotors because you didn't use the vehicle in a manner compliant with warranty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Posi is mighty helpful in snow, but not on ice. Breaking both wheels loose sucks more than spinning one.

Have any details regarding the type of differential offered been publicised?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
2KWK4U said:
I don't understand who "they" are. Has Pontiac mentioned the word autocross in their literature or in person relating to the Solstice? I highly doubt they are serious even if they have mentioned it.

I would liken that to the free SCCA membership that came with the purchase of an Impreza WRX (at least the first year they were available in the states). Subaru expressly stated that while they give you the SCCA membership, they don't endorse driving Subarus competitively. And to do so will instantly void the warranty, etc. etc. Something to that effect. Nice, huh?

Theorhetically, they could check with the SCCA to see if you've entered your WRX in competition using your membership, then refuse to replace your warped rotors because you didn't use the vehicle in a manner compliant with warranty.
I think its basically the difference between what is officially said, and what is unofficially intended. To be a serious Miata competitor, GM unofficially knows it needs a serious autoX roadster in the Solstice. However, officially GM will not endorse it and warrant parts because they do not want to finance everyone's racing damage repairs. What Subaru did was a little hypocritical, but they did warn that they would not cover damage suffered do to competition too.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Wow! This thread is back from the dead.

Yep, I completely agree with ya, FF88. I'm still holding out hope for a Torsen-type LSD. Regardless of what type is offered, I'll definitely check that box, and be thankful it was offered at all!

C'mon, TORSEN! Daddy needs a new pair of shoes. :cheers

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Mike Victor said:
Posi is mighty helpful in snow, but not on ice. Breaking both wheels loose sucks more than spinning one.

Have any details regarding the type of differential offered been publicised?
We believe it's the same LSD as what is in the CTS-V. I believe we figured out what that was model wise, but I don't remember right now. Ask the Search tool, it's your friend.

Mitsubishi was even more out there about their warranty then Subaru. They both officialy said they wouldn't warranty anything broken due to racing/autocrossing/drag racing/etc. They [Mitsu] actually sent people out to local race tracks to record license plates of people in Lancer Evo VIII's, and then promptly denied them warranty work when they broke their cars.

The 2005 MY Lancer Evo VIII also has a launch limiter built in. The Evo VIII was starting to get a really bad rep for burnt clutches and transmissions on a lot of the boards. Well come to find out all these punk kids were lieing about what happened and were launching the car at full boost at 6500+ RPM. So the 2005 model now does not permit clutch engagement while in first gear if the engine is above 5500 RPM.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I saw this topic come back, and wondered where the heck to move it to... we don't have a "recreational drug" forum...

Some information on LSD:

LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide) is one of the major drugs making up the hallucinogen class. LSD was discovered in 1938 and is one of the most potent mood-changing chemicals. It is manufactured from lysergic acid, which is found in ergot, a fungus that grows on rye and other grains.

LSD, commonly referred to as “acid,” is sold on the street in tablets, capsules, and, occasionally, liquid form. It is odorless, colorless, and has a slightly bitter taste and is usually taken by mouth. Often LSD is added to absorbent paper, such as blotter paper, and divided into small decorated squares, with each square representing one dose.
:jester

Really,
I think the Caddy diff is a Getrag clutch-type LSD.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
solsticeman said:
I saw this topic come back, and wondered where the heck to move it to... we don't have a "recreational drug" forum...

Some information on LSD:

:jester

Really,
I think the Caddy diff is a Getrag clutch-type LSD.
Solsticeman, you're a riot. :D

·
Registered
391 Posts
An LSD will be on my list of options ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts