Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a colbolt 2007 LSJ block. It looks like it will work for building a LNF . Does anyone know the differences, I see some difference in the castings on the block however it sure looks like everything else will work.

·
Registered
193 Posts
other than the exhaust manifold and intake manifold bolting on between the LNF and LSJ, they are completely different in every possible way.

LSJ - Port Fuel Injection, Fixed Cam,
LNF - Direct Injection, Variable Valve Timing

You could have a few parts here and there that would interchange, but it is not worth it at all is what I am getting at.

For just the block, the LSJ is GenI ecotec while LNF is GenII ecotec. So there are differences.

·
Registered
258 Posts
wow, outstanding.......

·
Registered
406 Posts
if you want ill trade you my le5 for an lnf then you could make a lejf and twincharge it

seriousness

heres this about 10 posts in you can see the differences they talk about

Offical: LNF Vs LSJ Tread - Cobalt SS Network
its not much but they are not the same other than the manifolds listed above but im sure you could use some parts off it but my question is why? wouldnt it be cheaper to go and buy new LNF performance parts? i mean thats like taking one step forward two steps back :dunno: well good luck

·
Registered
676 Posts
wow, outstanding.......
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

No the LSJ block will absolutely not work to make an LNF.

However I am sure you could build an LSJ and slap it in the sol/sky if you desired. You will run into several road blocks though... IE fueling needs to have a return line on an LSJ as well as upgraded injectors, LSJ has a slightly higher CR etc etc. However they are fairly cheap to build and are probably a very economical way to get some serious power.

If you really want to go this route, I would recommend calling up DDMworks and talking to Dave about it. He can probably help you out since the Ariel atom they built had an LSJ in it, and yes it was twin charged as well.

·
Registered
258 Posts
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

No the LSJ block will absolutely not work to make an LNF.

However I am sure you could build an LSJ and slap it in the sol/sky if you desired. You will run into several road blocks though... IE fueling needs to have a return line on an LSJ as well as upgraded injectors, LSJ has a slightly higher CR etc etc. However they are fairly cheap to build and are probably a very economical way to get some serious power.

If you really want to go this route, I would recommend calling up DDMworks and talking to Dave about it. He can probably help you out since the Ariel atom they built had an LSJ in it, and yes it was twin charged as well.

X2 on this idea. Jones after all those hurdles you could have yourself a very powerful Kappa as the LSJ(when built and tuned right) can make damn good power. I think....well wait No..... Redbull actually used the LSJ in one of their Drift cars that made 500hp. Its been done but it will still be unique. Hope you figure it out.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I just purchased a colbolt 2007 LSJ block. It looks like it will work for building a LNF . Does anyone know the differences, I see some difference in the castings on the block however it sure looks like everything else will work.
John,

since you need a new LNF block for your LNF engine.............and you bought that LSJ block as a replacement, here's what I can say....

all ecotec blocks are the same rough casting and can be made to work with a little modification. The lsj and lnf are sand cast and have oil squirters, so they are obviously more desirable. you will have to either use an lnf bottom half of the block or have the oil return machined into whatever block you use.

A couple of years ago, I bought a block that is a gm junk oil consumption warranty block out of a 2003 l61 cavalier. I bought it for 50 bux complete head to oil pan. i had the oil squirters machined into it, the bosses for them are there on all ecotecs.

If you use anything but an lnf block you will have to drill and tap for the second knock sensor and if you use a front wheel drive block there is one engine mount bracket hole that will not line up. I also seem to remember someone saying that the le5 had a taller deck, but BTF and Brian at Wiseco said thats not the case.

HTH

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked at photos of the block and matched them up with my block and the thing looks identical. Also, I asked the seller if the block had oilers for the pistons and he told me yes, so I purchased it. The thing hasn't arrived yet, however it sure looks like it will work. I will keep you posted, I only have $280 invested so it won't be too bad if it will not work. Remember I just need the block.

·
Registered
258 Posts
One other major difference in the block is that the Gen I has smaller cooling jackets compared to the Gen II.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
jonesy is not building an LSJ set up.

he's just trying to use the LSJ block (in replacement of the busted LNF block he had) and still continue with DI set-up.

·
Registered
258 Posts
So if he is just using the block then where on the LSJ are the channels leading into the combustion chambers for DI??? Or is that part of the head??

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I have the block and sometime next week I will post photos of them side by side so everyone can see the difference. It may work from my first inspection, very minor differences just a tap or two and all should well. It actually has some oilers in it for the pistons and they look heavy duty, I will still use the solstice ones.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I'm heading home this weekend and will be getting the blocks back from the machine shop next week. One thing I found that was really different was the balance shafts in the LSJ are shorter than the ones in the LNF. It will be interesting trying to figure out that issue. Everything else seems to be obtainable in converting the block to a LNF. I will keep everyone informed and try getting some photos posted too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts