Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Probably wearing against your trunk lid. There were two plastic "blocks" with foam pads on them on the trunk lid to push down on the top when it's stored in your trunk. One of mine was missing the foam and had begun to wear on the top. I replaced the foam on both and then one of the blocks fell off completely. I removed the other and began using a black bath towel on top of the roof to prevent wear from the trunk lid. Many here have had custom engraved "blankets" to use for this purpose.
Removed mine for the same reason years ago. Noticed wear marks from these not long after I purchased the car. Use a towel as you do now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, I will check the pads but will probably use some kind of towel, etc ,when the top is down anyway, good thought.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Thanks for the tip on those lube points, I would not have checked under there. A couple other things, 303 makes a good rubber protectant and conditioner for all of the rubber moldings around the trunk, windshield, etc, keeps them conditioned and prevents drying out. Also, an earlier post talks about ammonia to clean the windows, great on regular windows but not on tinted auto glass.
Finally, about three inches in from the lube points discussed in these posts, I’m noticing about a 3 inch long “wear” spot on the exterior of the top on both sides. It doesn’t look like it’s from the hinge point from this post, further in. Any ides on cause/solution. I have an 07 NA with 29,000, garaged when not in use.
I've got those too and like chickenwire mentioned, I just put a shop towel on each side of the top when it is down (which is always).

·
Super Moderator
7,301 Posts
I removed both blocks in both cars very early and haven't seen any problems from it. My top is usually down, and usually covered by the folded-back cockpit cover, but not always.

I think the purpose of the locks is to lever the top into the full down position when closing the trunk lid, so as long as you ensure that the top is pressed down before closing the lid, they are not needed. The towel, etc to cover the top will certainly help keep it cleaner, protection is always better than no protection, and customized covers look nice, but overall i think you are better off with nothing than you are with the blocks.

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Finally, about three inches in from the lube points discussed in these posts, I’m noticing about a 3 inch long “wear” spot on the exterior of the top on both sides. It doesn’t look like it’s from the hinge point from this post, further in. Any ides on cause/solution. I have an 07 NA with 29,000, garaged when not in use.
Depends if it's on the top of the fabric, or along the edges. If the latter, this is probably the issue: Mod: Simple 'No-roof-wear-from-trunk-liner' fix

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Thanks, I will check the pads but will probably use some kind of towel, etc ,when the top is down anyway, good thought.
I would remove the blocks first as others have mentioned. My concern would be pinching even tighter after using a cloth or towel between the top and the blocks. Might not be a problem, but if it were my car I wouldn't chance it.

·
Super Moderator
16,340 Posts
Kappa blankets available from Tailorthreads.com
She makes them for a lot of Kappa owners. I have three

In the pictures above there is no plastic wear tab. I have seen them fail over time when the top is not lubricated. Failure can take a lot of different paths. Generally they either break off the end or they rotate to the side then fall out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Depends if it's on the top of the fabric, or along the edges. If the latter, this is probably the issue: Mod: Simple 'No-roof-wear-from-trunk-liner' fix
Pics aren’t showing up for me (guessing they didn’t migrate over from the old forum). Happen to still have those pics, TS? This sounds like a mod I’d DEF like to do…

Just bought an ‘09 project car and it still had the blocks. Looks like those will be going bye-bye as well.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Pics aren’t showing up for me (guessing they didn’t migrate over from the old forum). Happen to still have those pics, TS? This sounds like a mod I’d DEF like to do…
The link was to KappaPerformance and you have to be registered there to see the pictures.

Reactions: Super Serg

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
The link was to KappaPerformance and you have to be registered there to see the pictures.
What HE said ^ :)

Interestingly, Bob, I just went out to check the lube on the top - which was OK - but found another trunk wear point on the passenger side, lower down from the wear point in my mod - right where the liner molding juts out. Looks like I'm gonna have to dive in and do YOUR secondary mod of cutting off that bolt end!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just want to say thanks for this tip.
My top had started to pinch at this point when putting it back up - once I lubricated this area it seems to slide down properly without pinching any more!

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
What HE said ^ :)

Interestingly, Bob, I just went out to check the lube on the top - which was OK - but found another trunk wear point on the passenger side, lower down from the wear point in my mod - right where the liner molding juts out. Looks like I'm gonna have to dive in and do YOUR secondary mod of cutting off that bolt end!
Interestingly I had completely forgotten about the secondary mod that you speak of, went to the KP link to refresh my memory. Senior moment? ;)

Just want to say thanks for this tip.
My top had started to pinch at this point when putting it back up - once I lubricated this area it seems to slide down properly without pinching any more!
Those of us that have been around forever assume that everyone knows this stuff. I'm glad that you were able to solve the issues that you were having with your top krayhons.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes you can, BUT if the rubber is starting to peel away and the steel is exposed that's not cool.

The fatal flaw in this design is the rigidity of the steel is needed to close the gap and keep it closed, but the rubber isn't lubricious enough to slide safely on the underside of the fabric (even the plastic reinforcement) on it's own. Hence, if you keep it lubed you should have a problem.

But as many here, myself included, wouldn't likely have thought of it had others not experienced the issue.
I am a little confused, when I looked closer at my problem I see where the rubber/metal piece that is bent up is actually part of the rubber seal that runs along the top of the window. Other photos in this thread seem to show a separate piece that looks like it is separate.

Am I missing something or are there 2 different types. My car is a late 2007 Sol and I know there were 2 different tops and I always thought I had the 2nd type.

Thanks
Glenn

81 - 94 of 94 Posts