Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I won’t be seeing my car until early October, I’m expecting my first road trip to be a leaf peeper on the winding roads of Vermont. The height/placement of the Solstice’s nacelles would seem to disqualify most of the luggage racks I’ve seen unless there’s another way to mount them. I guess this is why GM is planning on providing one fit to specs, in the future. On another note, for all you golfers, check out birdautomotive:

http://www.roofrackshop.co.uk/boot/boot.htm

http://www.birdautomotive.com/Golf Bag Carrier and Luggage Carrier.htm

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the golf cart platform might work better... :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
A receiver hitch with a platform for a cooler-size box would work. look awful, but work well. The tongue weight has to be in the 200+ range I would gather. Definitely throw the weight distribution off, but at least you would have room for stuff for the LONG weekend.

·
Registered
381 Posts
That's what I was thinking, something removable, only use it when you really needed it. I wonder how many bags of mulch I'll be able to carry! Seriously, though, with the right "box", something with some styling & painted to match the car, it might not be as bad as a chrome abomination of a rack that you couldn't remove. The weight would offset the LS2. :)

I work at a hospital and I just *know* that someday I'll see a Sol in the parking lot with a receiver hitch platform setup for some old guy's electric scooter. (Don't laugh, someday it'll be you!)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Although a tongue hitch box may look terrible, the best thing about it is that it'd be invisible to you when your cruising down the road. As they say,"That's their problem!" And, even though it'd effect handling by throwing the weight balance way off, compare that to how a small trailer would effect your times through the esses!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Here's a cool option for those of us with an investment in Roof Rack accesories, a micro trailer.

http://www.sportsrig.com/

·
4,592 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
Here's a cool option for those of us with an investment in Roof Rack accesories, a micro trailer.

http://www.sportsrig.com/
that's a nice setup, but doesn't $1200 seem real steep for that?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Instead of a luggage rack I wanted to get this trailer instead. It's called a Track Trailer. Unfortunately the guy who was making them seems to have stopped for some reason. If anyone can find them for sale elsewhere please let me know!!!

Attachments

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
AeroDave said:
I only want a trailer if it can handle .9 lateral Gs! :D
:agree: I can put up with having to drive to a destination with the top up, or even with stuff piled on the rear deck till I got to a motel, but having dragged many a trailer, with the constant clunk of the ball and the way it pushes the rear of the car around on a curve, this would, personally, be my last resort. I know that once I succumb to a trailer, it will get filled with things I would've left at home but are bringing now, "Just in Case." Plan on incorporating the "Back to Basics" philosophy into my travel plans as well. :cool:

But I'm not saying I might, someday, go over to the dark side and if I do, these look very sharp.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
solli4me said:
Wow, both trailers are cool. I'm going hunting again, this time for that Track Trailer. :lol:

http://www.bombaydigital.com/arenared/1999/11/12/1
Yeah that review is for the South Sport Track Trailer, which is the image I posted. However it appears www.southsporttrailers.com has gone under and has now been turned into some horrid car portal site. The only places I know to find it now are begging on the Porsche PCA boards hoping to find someone willing to part with one.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Go to Harbor Freight & get a 4x4 utility trailer. Add a toolbox, weld on the tire mounts & you're set. Don't weld? Learn! Hey! If *I* can do it, anyone can, plus the ladies are VERY impressed when you just happen to mention that you spent your saturday morning welding up this or that.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Please tell me I'm sleeping!

I've seen post move from too little horse power and not enough G-Force in the turns to now seeing tag-along trailers behind our Sols. Tell me I have just awakened and I'm in bizzarro world where everything is backwards, please! I've been having a hard time considering a removable luggage rack for trips now I see trailers. I know I must be sleeping and this is just a dream, it really is, isn't it?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Does anyone have any idea if the luggage rack available through GM Accessories is going to be permanently bolted on? Is it going to be custom designed for the Sol? My dad has a luggage rack on the back of his '79 MG and I always thought it looked hella tight! (plus it'll be perfect for taking the ladies (who will definitely be all up on a Sol) out on picnics and such.) At least I'm hoping to attract a little more attention from the ladies.

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know I must be sleeping and this is just a dream, it really is, isn't it?
Welcome to your nightmare :lol:
This is just a transference distraction from my anxiety of having to mount a NJ license plate to the front of my beautiful car...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts