Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts
I dont want to ask what that price is here but also am not sure how else I'd contact you to ask and see.
The luggage rack was sent last evening to @JohnWR so he can have it 3D scanned.
I can let you know when it is returned to me.

John, I am happy to contribute to the cost of scanning. would love to have a model of the rack for my own use. Let me know

@jon72vega , @JohnWR , @rob the elder and all others who are helping: thank you for your effort to make a rare accessory available to the Kappa community again. Like with other parts that you guys have been reproducing, this is invaluable for current and future Kappa owners. I commend you!

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that 3D printing is not the best answer in this case. The rack has a turn-down lip around the perimeter that contains the neoprene pad, and it is made in a curve, so the entire under surface would require support to effectively print it. I realize that support is common in printing, but the liklihood is that there would be as much (or more) support material involved as there would be product material. there is also the effect that the shape would have on surface finish and the resulting need for post-processing to smooth the grain lines inherent to the printing process. The 22 x 22 inch part size is a bit of a consideration as well.

Vacuum forming has been at the top of my mental list for making this part since reproducing it was first discussed, and is gaining ground in my mind the more I study it.

Hood Grille Automotive design Automotive exterior Wood

Reactions: agent008
If you don't plan on vacuum forming this -please let me know. What I don't want to do is start and then be almost done with the part and find that someone else has already perfected it. That has happened before....

Received my rack from Alejandro Its a perfect fit and looks very nice.
Helmet Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood Grille

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire Automotive design

Hood Motor vehicle Grille Bumper Wood

Rectangle Gas Bumper Automotive exterior Grille

Grille Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Grille

Looks great Rob!
PS> What are the longer tie downs for? Is that if you were actually going to drill the holes in the trunk lid like the OEM one?

I had a rack mounted ten years ago. The mounting holes are already in my trunk. Filled with black plugs. If I wanted to put a load on the rack, I would use the mounts that go through the trunk lid. I am not carrying anything on it so will use the cosmetic ones and leave the trunk holes sealed.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts