Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching on Bob Lutz and ran across his book called "Guts" that was written back when he was at Chrysler. Looks like an interesting read if anyone is interested.

Here's a few quotes about him from the editorial...

"Bob Lutz is one of America's most imaginative and most insightful business leaders. He thinks way outside the box, and when he talks, everyone needs to listen."—Michael Hammer Coauthor, Reengineering the Corporation

"Lutz has made Chrysler into the feistiest, and most profitable, automaker on the planet."—Steve Miller CEO, Waste Management Inc.

"Listening to Lutz is like hearing a Viper engine come to life. It's raw and pure. He loves speed, whether it's related to cars, fighter jets, or change in an organization."—Kent Kresa Chief Executive Officer Northrop Grumman Corporation

"Bob Lutz knows more about cars than anyone. And he knows more than anyone about fixing car companies . . . but what makes Bob unique is his extraordinary sense of self-confidence—call it guts—which has permitted him always to have fun doing the right thing. So, go get some Guts, and share the fun!"—James P. Womack Author, The Machine That Changed the World, and President, Lean Enterprise Institute

"Original and daring in his actions, Bob Lutz has lived with big business problems and big mistakes to become a rare pioneering winner."—Donald E. Petersen Retired Chairman and CEO, Ford Motor Company
Amazon Link

·
5,600 Posts
Thanks for the referral. I might get this and read it just to fill in my void of Solstice knowledge with something. If I can't learn something new about the car, maybe I can get some insight into it from the man behind the car.

Plus, he sounds like a very interesting person. Or is that an understatement? :crazy

PS - this is one reason I love the Internet. Not only is it easier to find the information, but sometimes the information just comes to you. Thanks, mceb.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Interesting person... definately an understatement jimbo! ;)

I have that book sitting on my bookshelf at home. I read it some years ago now, back when it came out. It was a very interesting read. He has done a lot in life, both auto related and otherwise. I'd recommend it! :cheers

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Think I'll have to look for it when I go try to find the new AutoWeek magazine after work today.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just finished the book, interesting read of the man behind the Solstice. This was the revised version (2003).

Most of the book was about his time with Chrysler where he was almost made CEO and was a big part of their turn-around (2nd one I think). He's definately a maverick who likes to march to the beat of the right-side of the brain.

The chapter on how he got the Viper to market reminded me a lot of the Solstice project (minus the HP and price). Both where very quick moving projects to build a low volume halo car designed to "wow" you and the right side of your brain (push the gotta have it button). A couple of times he mentions the "faults" of the Viper (no windows, no door handles, small trunk) but the pure beauty & performance of the car overcame those "lapses".

He does strike me as the kind of guy who'd check in on this forum from time to time and would get a kick out of it. Maybe some day he'll update the book and add a chapter on the story behind the Solstice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts