Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A new product that was featured at SEMA and on "Overhaulin" on Nov 1 show is a new door opener. If you like the look of shaved door handles but don't want your new baby cut into then these are a must.

They simply replace the door handles with a color matched piece that blends almost seamlessly into the door. To operate you simply unlock the door with your keyfob and touch the door where the sensor is installed and door pops open! A battery backup can be installed in the door to protect against dead car battery. Or, a sensor can be installed in the car's glass for the same operation if you want to keep the existing handles.

If anyone is interested in having them installed on their Solstice, drop me a PM. Our company will be selling them below retail pricing and will be the first to have them for the Solstice and Sky cars.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Do you have pictures of what it looks like and does the car have to be in the NC area for this installation?.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The manufacturer website is lafranceautoworks <edit: direct link removed per forum rules>

You installed them yourself or have a local body shop do it for you. Our company will be selling them below retail for both the Solstice and Sky cars. At the moment only the touch glass sensor is available to these cars, but an upgrade can be sent to those who order the glass sensor kit early next year for a small fee. Some might only want the glass sensor kit to keep the door key as an option.

And yes, we can install them for you if your in the Raleigh/Durham area.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Spoke to the manufacturer, they will build the kits for the 2006 Solstice ahead of schedule if I can get 20 orders together. The cost is $339 per door plus shipping. The kit will come color matched to your Solstice. If you are interested in pre-ordering let me know. The kits will be created 30-60 days after the first order for 20 units is placed.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Won't that leave a bunch of fingerprints/handprints in that space?

I'd prefer one that popped the door open with just the remote.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
The website says $399 PER handle.

...and as for fingerprints, use the back of your fingers/hand and you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
These look real cool but,

I wonder how strong the popper is?

I'd hate to be sealed out of my car in the winter when the moisture from the road, rain, and snow freeze your door shut.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
nvmygtz said:
These look real cool but,

I wonder how strong the popper is?

I'd hate to be sealed out of my car in the winter when the moisture from the road, rain, and snow freeze your door shut.
Excellent point... I have had to hank on my doors before.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
My other question is security?. Do you first unlock the car with your key fob and then touch the glass?.
I am with Gizmo2004 on this one, it would be much nicer if the whole operation was tied to your key fob, no need to touch anything.
Terpfan have the company thought of this idea?.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
I had a lowrider in High School and shaved my handles. IF I were to do this to a Sol / Sky I would go the clean route (the old fashioned way). I do not think I would, but it would look and work much better. The biggest cost/task would be the body work (shave+paint), but the popper system is (was) easy. JMHO

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
nvmygtz said:
I lived in Colorado Spings, CO when I had my shaved doors and had no problems (it would get pretty cold Oct-April). The poppers that I installed were pretty strong. :thumbs: However, I did blow the fuse a couple of times, when my wife pushed the button too long (in he late 80's people would often hide the button under the door, or in the mirror).

·
Registered
92 Posts
TerpFan said:
A new product that was featured at SEMA and on "Overhaulin" on Nov 1 show is a new door opener. If you like the look of shaved door handles but don't want your new baby cut into then these are a must.

They simply replace the door handles with a color matched piece that blends almost seamlessly into the door. To operate you simply unlock the door with your keyfob and touch the door where the sensor is installed and door pops open! A battery backup can be installed in the door to protect against dead car battery. Or, a sensor can be installed in the car's glass for the same operation if you want to keep the existing handles.

If anyone is interested in having them installed on their Solstice, drop me a PM. Our company will be selling them below retail pricing and will be the first to have them for the Solstice and Sky cars.
I would be interested in more info on them. Where are you located in North Carolina? I am in Greenville, if you are not too far away I would like to come and "Window Shop" once you get some of the Solstice aftermarket products done.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I like this idea

MSG_McKee said:
I had a lowrider in High School and shaved my handles. IF I were to do this to a Sol / Sky I would go the clean route (the old fashioned way). I do not think I would, but it would look and work much better. The biggest cost/task would be the body work (shave+paint), but the popper system is (was) easy. JMHO
:agree:
I definitely like the "no handles" look, but I believe I'd rather go the route MSG_Mckee described. A much better look and a one step process. (I suppose Bama fans think alike! :thumbs: )

The Magic Touch Door Openers are cool for aftermarket & easy install, but $399 per handle seems a little steep. I wouldn't imagine having the doors shaved would cost more than $800!

Has anyone considered converting the doors to Lambo doors?

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/31721240477.jpg&s=x2

I've seen several convertibles with Lambo converted doors and they look nice!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
sol_nice said:
Has anyone considered converting the doors to Lambo doors?

I've seen several convertibles with Lambo converted doors and they look nice!
It's already been discussed. The Lambo door conversion, that is.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3207

General concensus: Lambo conversions are lame. Too costly to do it right.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
LatinVenom said:
My other question is security?. Do you first unlock the car with your key fob and then touch the glass?.
I am with Gizmo2004 on this one, it would be much nicer if the whole operation was tied to your key fob, no need to touch anything.
Terpfan have the company thought of this idea?.
The system works directly with your existing keyfob. If you want something different like an automatic RF transmitter then yes this can be added in. No pricing on this option as it would be a third party unit.

One nice feature of the system, you can removed from the car and put the stock handles back on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What'd be really cool is if they ditched the cheychain lock all together and just used a finger print scanner....just walk up and put your thumb on the scanner. :cool:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nick M said:
What'd be really cool is if they ditched the cheychain lock all together and just used a finger print scanner....just walk up and put your thumb on the scanner. :cool:

Having an RF transmitter on your person would do the same thing. Just walk up and touch, no buttons to push.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Very cool. I have the key fob version of that for my wife on her Denali. It was a different company though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts