Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As usual I told myself when I got the car I wouldn't go crazy and would do very little to change the car. I had no intentions of changing the exhaust, but of course now I am looking for something to do and I feel I need a bit more tone. The car is my daily so I don't want an obnoxious level of drone, I dealt with that in my last car and changed the exhaust 4 times before I was comfortable with the sound.

I have an opportunity to pick up the magnaflow catback for $300, possibly less if I can negotiate, which is why I am considering this system. I have done extensive searching on the various systems offered for the gxp and have listened to sound clips, but I am looking for the input of those with this system or those who have had the magnaflow at some point.

Thank you

·
Registered
847 Posts
Im not positive on this, but Ive been told on here by others that the convertable doesnt really have much drone, ive only heard a few drone complaints and all were from the coupe...cant help much with your real question, only throwing that out there...SOLO has a very good reputation and stand by their products, as well as install them for you, but they are very far from your location...if you do decide on the magnaflow and its not quite loud enough and/or you would like a performance boost as well, you can always add the SOLO HF CAT...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the input. I have come across the same as well and it seems to be the coupe that suffers from the worst drone conditions. I definitely like the Solo systems and the quality seems excellent, but the cost is a determining factor for me. I went through this with my previous car though because with switching the exhaust 4 times I could have bought a nice prefabbed catback system, so I hope to not go through the same process again. I don't mind the sound of the stock exhaust at times, there are certain moments where I can hear a slight burble that sounds nice, but I wish there was a bit more sound at times. If the magnaflow accomplishes a slightly louder than stock tone, than I will be happy with that.

I also have an opportunity to purchase an mbrp catback, but it will cost me $500+ tax and shipping. I am not sure of the specifics or model yet. I like the sound from what I have heard, but I do not like the motorcycle looking mufflers on some of these systems.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the magnaflow with a low back pressure cat. Sound is quite acceptable as long as you keep your foot out of it. Foot in.... very loud. I am going to a more conventional custom muffler to quiet things down a bit .

Sam in CA

·
Registered
257 Posts
I installed the Magnaflow a few weeks after I purchased my car. I like it a lot. I thought the stock exhaust was far to quiet. Magnaflow is not loud at all in my opinion and I don't get any droning, but everyone has different thresholds for what is acceptable. WOT exhaust note sounds great. Cold start up drone is really amplified, but that is my only real complaint and I am sure we'd get that with any aftermarket option. Also the tips on the Magnaflow look really awesome. I have been complimented several times on the way it looks.

For $300 do it! I got mine new on sale for around $530 shipped.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Love My Magnaflow

Installed mine whin the car was 6 months old, love the sound at WOT and have no drone. Would do it again in a NY minute.

Paid $400 for mine, $350 is a great deal. Have it welded to seal and prevent future leaks. Best up-grade I have done.:)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm thinking I'll pick it up because for the price it seems worth it. I have thought about just swapping a muffler in place of the stock, but I haven't seen much of this done on a gxp. It's the sound I'm looking for because I know there is not much performance to be had through exhaust on these cars.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
I have the Magnaflow cat back and the Solo high-flow cat. Here's a little three minute video I made with my camera attached to the back near the license plate between the exhaust tips. You can get an idea of the sound. I like it and would do it again. Never noticed any drone top up or down on the highway. I'm happy with the set up and would do it again. Too bad I have to go to the trouble to swap back to the stock cat next summer when registration renewal time comes around and I have to get her smogged. (I loathe the California CARB Nazis.) After the smog check, the Solo cat goes back on.

P1010687.MOV - YouTube

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for that video, I have been looking for something like that to better hear the magnaflow. There are not too many sound clips of that system as others. It sounds very nice and I like the burble on deceleration. It seems to amplify the sound that the stock exhaust has because I have noticed the stock system does have a burble sound, but it is not audible under driving conditions.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Thank you for that video, I have been looking for something like that to better hear the magnaflow. There are not too many sound clips of that system as others. It sounds very nice and I like the burble on deceleration. It seems to amplify the sound that the stock exhaust has because I have noticed the stock system does have a burble sound, but it is not audible under driving conditions.
You should know that the sound did get somewhat louder when I replaced stock cat with the Solo unit. At the same time I changed cats, I also replaced the BSR tune with an HP tune. Not only did the Solo cat improve the sound over just the Magnaflow cat back (which was an improvement over the stock GXP exhaust), but in conjunction with the HP tune, so was the seat-of-the-pants-feel for increased acceleration.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, It looks like I'm going to do it! We agreed on $275, and the guy says he only put 5,000 miles on the kit, either way it's not like it can go bad. I don't plan on changing out the cat or anything else for now, so this should give me the subtle sound increase I'm looking for. Of course I really like the sound and quality of the solo systems, but for the price it is hard to pass up the magnaflow.

I appreciate the many responses and sound clips and if anyone has more input or clips keep them coming! I won't be picking it up until tomorrow afternoon, so there is still time to change my mind. :D

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
If you just want to do the muffler it's a muffler off of a Camaro used in their kit.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I never updated, but I did go through with the deal and have had the exhaust installed for almost a month. The sound is great during shifting and produces a nice burble and overall is not obnoxiously loud. There is noticeable drone at 55-65 mph, but can be eliminated by bumping up to 70. It is not as bad as what I've had in the past, but under load there are certain moments where it rattles interior panels, mainly the storage compartment in the waterfall and the passenger airbag cover. I did remedy this by placing velcro around the lip underneath the airbag cover.

·
Registered
220 Posts
my car is obnoxiously loud as I have solo headers & high flow cat to go along with a glasspack exhaust. I may switch exhaust if I can find a GXP locally to pick up and for a good price. I thought about magnaflow and the gmpp exhaust but now that you say magnaflow is good, I may lean that way unless someone can tell me what the gmpp exhaust is like.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been through my fair share of obnoxious exhaust systems and that was the main thing I wanted to avoid on the gxp. I have contemplated adding one of the solo resonators to the magnaflow kit to tone down the interior resonance. Top down of course there is no problem, which luckily is a majority of the time spent in TX, but when I do have to drive top up the noise under load can be annoying. Much more acceptable than prior systems I've had on other cars, but this can be expected with having aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
257 Posts
55-65 in in what gear 4th or 5th? I notice it can drone under load/low rpms in 4th and 5th, but at 55-65mph I am always in 4th gear, whereas 5th at those speeds drones inside.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Too bad I have to go to the trouble to swap back to the stock cat next summer when registration renewal time comes around and I have to get her smogged. (I loathe the California CARB Nazis.) After the smog check, the Solo cat goes back on.
Do they actually eyeball the CAT and know the difference? I'd have thought that as long as it reduced emissions to the allowed level you'd be fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts